Review by shejustlovesbooks -- Blanket Immunity

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
shejustlovesbooks
Currently Reading: Ninth House
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shejustlovesbooks.html
Latest Review: Devil Among Us by Jack Winnick

Review by shejustlovesbooks -- Blanket Immunity

Post by shejustlovesbooks »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Blanket Immunity" by Adam Van Susteren.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Rating: 4 out of 4
What I Loved:
The mix between legal and everyday human was done so well in this book. Sometimes when you read a legal thriller, you get so bogged down in legalese that you lose interest in the story because you are lost. That was NOT the case with this book and I loved that. Adam Van Susteren did an excellent job of mixing the law with the story and it paid off!

How I Felt:
I was immediately caught up in this story. I connected with the main character Jo, and I loved everything about her. I understood the decisions she was making because I too would have struggled to come up with the right thing to do with each of issues that confronted her.

The main case in this book turned out to be so filled with twists and turns that I just kept dropping my jaw. I would think we had arrived at the final outcome of the case, and then there would be another surprise waiting around a corner. The writing just drew me in.

I appreciated the family that was brought into the story. It helped to make Jo a “real” person and to connect with her. Her romance in this story was just the perfect amount. Their relationship was new, and I felt that it grew on me as the story unfolded. It was also very secondary to the plot, making it just the right amount for a legal thriller.

I had only a few issues where the story seemed to jump ahead and I felt like a little had been left out. I believe that the author was trying to move the story along, but I would have gladly taken an extra chapter or two to get some extra details. Overall, I loved this book and I look forward to the second in the series!

Content Warnings: Rape and murder are both topics in this book.

To Read or Not To Read: If you enjoy legal thrillers, you’ll love this book. If you enjoy overall mystery or suspense, this is a great book for you as well!

What's This Book About Anyway?
Jo Channing has just lost her campaign for a judgeship and is setting out to start her own law office. With a little one-room office in a not-so-nice location, she opens up shop. She lands a case almost immediately with Brad, an police officer accused of rape. Taking the case, she works to prove Brad’s innocence.

She stumbles across a second client almost immediately, but soon realizes he’s a bit less of a law-abiding citizen than she initially thought.

Jo works to make the right decisions as her case and clients begin to spin out of control and she finds herself in a much deeper situation than she realized. Can she figure out the truth before it’s too late?

Blanket Immunity
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”