Official Review: City of Red: Part 1 by C.A. Love

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
InStoree
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-instoree.html
Latest Review: The Mermaid Broker by Sue Hinkin

Official Review: City of Red: Part 1 by C.A. Love

Post by InStoree »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "City of Red: Part 1" by C.A. Love.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The life of a mobster isn’t always playing cards, drinking, and smoking all day. City of Red: Part 1 - The Machetti Legacy, by C.A. Love, offers a different view of mob life. This action-packed thriller, set in 1965, unveils the story of the mafia families from the fictional town of Cold Harbor City. Alfonso Machetti was a “street-level thug” or associate in the mob hierarchy of the Scarlatti family — the gang who runs the city from the shadows. Within the mafia’s code of values, there’s only loyalty, respect, truthfulness, and obedience. In just seven years, Alfonso succeeded in gaining the respect of the soldiers and bosses and became a captain of the crime family. But he breaks one unwritten rule and sleeps with the Mayor’s wife. As a consequence, the Mayor kills the entire Scarlatti family in one night and sends Alfonso to a lawless maximum security prison.

The premise is simple: “anything for family.” Often, there is a price to pay for being part of a mafia family, and Alfonso knows this well. Once the Scarlatti family is out of the picture, a German crime family known as Klaus lays claim to Cold Harbor City. But could this be so easy? Doesn’t the mafia have deeply rooted social and political connections that prevent a family from extirpation? All I can say is that this book made me sense danger at every corner, looking over my shoulder all the time, and living with the impression that any moment someone could snitch, pull out a gun, kill, or die.

The author gradually develops the main character of Alfonso — along with several other characters — over the course of the story. Without giving any spoilers, it’s difficult to further describe. Suffice to say, all of the characters played instrumental roles in bringing out the dominant themes, such as devotion and honor, juxtaposed to death, murder, and fear.

There’s only one thing that I liked least, but it’s more of a personal note. The chapters were very short and didn’t quite allow me the opportunity to create an adequate connection to the scenes or characters portrayed. At some point, I was jumping from one event to another, especially in the first half of the book. Later on, this seemed like a well-thought structural component of the narrative which allowed me to breathe a bit after an intense scene happened.

I would recommend this book to those who are interested in mafia tales and those who enjoy the suspenseful twists and turns of a crime story. There are some light erotic portrayals and violent scenes that might put off some readers.

To improve the rating, another professional review is necessary since I encountered several grammatical errors. Expletives, in the form of curse words, are used but not excessively. Only the editing flaws caused the rating to drop by a single star. Despite the errors, this enthralling book was rather impressive. Therefore, I rate City of Red: Part 1 – The Machetti Legacy with 3 out of 4 stars. While the ending was satisfactory, there were unresolved questions leaving an opening for the sequel, which I am looking forward.

City of Red: Part 1
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Love is the only power out there that trumps hatred, grief, sadness, or anger.
~Tayma Tameem
Kanda_theGreat
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanda-thegreat.html
Latest Review: Born To Survive by Kylie-Anne Evans

Post by Kanda_theGreat »

Crime thrillers are exciting pieces of art as far as cartels are concerned. One always wants to know which group dominates over the other.
Thanks for the review.
Bet on Me! :idea:
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

I do enjoy crime thrillers but those involving the mafia are less appealing to me. However, I enjoyed your informative review.
Marsnikk
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marsnikk.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by Marsnikk »

Mafia does not usually interest me but your review has peaked my interest for sure. I do like deep connection with a character though, I wonder how that will pan out for me. Thank you for your in depth review!
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 675
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Post by Nerea »

I'm always thrilled by mafia or cartel stories. This seem to be one of that kind. I hope the errors will be corrected. You did a great job in your review.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
rumik
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rumik.html
Latest Review: Agartha by Jaylee Austin

Post by rumik »

I am not really interested in mafia tales but this one sounds nice. Thanks for the great review!
InStoree
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-instoree.html
Latest Review: The Mermaid Broker by Sue Hinkin

Post by InStoree »

Cecilia_L wrote: 22 Dec 2019, 09:59 I do enjoy crime thrillers but those involving the mafia are less appealing to me. However, I enjoyed your informative review.
Kanda_theGreat wrote: 20 Dec 2019, 18:17 Crime thrillers are exciting pieces of art as far as cartels are concerned. One always wants to know which group dominates over the other.
Thanks for the review.
Marsnikk wrote: 27 Dec 2019, 08:59 Mafia does not usually interest me but your review has peaked my interest for sure. I do like deep connection with a character though, I wonder how that will pan out for me. Thank you for your in depth review!
Nerea wrote: 28 Dec 2019, 09:43 I'm always thrilled by mafia or cartel stories. This seem to be one of that kind. I hope the errors will be corrected. You did a great job in your review.
rumik wrote: 28 Dec 2019, 15:31 I am not really interested in mafia tales but this one sounds nice. Thanks for the great review!
Thank you guys for sharing your thoughts. I deeply appreciate each comment. :romance-grouphug:
Love is the only power out there that trumps hatred, grief, sadness, or anger.
~Tayma Tameem

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”