Review by Abacus -- E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Abacus
2019 Reading Goal: 150
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 53
Favorite Book: Misreading Judas
Currently Reading: shake,rattle,&roll
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abacus.html
Latest Review: The Lost Coin by Marvin lindberg
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Review by Abacus -- E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Abacus »

[Following is a volunteer review of "E-M-P Honeymoon" by Dorothy May Mercer.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The character mix for EMP Honeymoon includes a honeymooning couple from Carson City, New Mexico, the United States Senator McBride with clout, and significant resources, and Steve Spalding, a CIA operative, in Honduras.

Kelly, one half of the honeymoon couple, stumbled on a lab behind The Pigsty gift shop in Honduras with massive screens showing satellite movements over the United States and Canada, Kelly was terrified sensing that some evil players were threatening America.

Her new husband, Sgt Tom Turbulo, snoops some more and exposes the name of Mrs. Sue Lynn Reese (actually, Colonel Rhee Su-jin of the People’s Army). She was directed by Dear Leader to further the North Korean leader’s dream “soon the tiny little mouse is going to take down that big old fat elephant” – he is talking about President Bigelow of the United States. Korean technology is advanced and dangerous, especially when it is set up in Honduras. Tom notifies everyone he can think of, and McBride sends two of his highly seasoned operatives, Sharon and Agatha, to help with the threat.

EMP Honeymoon is an action-packed, great read. It is lighthearted and humorous but deals with severe threats to our existence and discusses the science of the day. Entertaining, educational, and erudite. Mercer is an experienced and prolific writer and likes to seize a problem area, research it, and weave it into an exciting story, which she seems to do with ease.

Her writing is fluid, and the fast-moving plot draws the reader to keep turning the pages. I liked the chapter devoted to Dr. Peter Kinney, who lectures in advanced nuclear physics at State University in Utah. This chapter is used by Mercer to provide an educational background for readers to contrast the significant advantages of nuclear energy and its severe disadvantages to civilization when used destructively. Kinney is so concerned that he agrees to grant an hour-long interview on the Haven-Harbinger TV show in New York. His question for the TV audience is, “what happens if the power goes out? I think Mercer would like us all to be asking that question.

The characters are well-developed and authentic, they contrast markedly with each other, and they place themselves in danger to avert this threat to America. We get an inside look at how espionage works - breaking in, using intelligence services, and translating foreign languages using a computer program. We also begin to understand something about dictators and how they maintain power. The reward for faithful service tends to be labor camps disguised as re-education facilities.

I rate EMP Honeymoon 4 out of 4 stars for the combination of action and education. I do not rate it 3 out of 4 stars because of the substantial research and readability. I detected no errors and believe it to be professionally edited. I found nothing to dislike. I recommend it to people who like action, espionage, technology, and thinking through challenging problems in a lighthearted way. There was nothing profane or sexually explicit.

E-M-P Honeymoon
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”