Review by Read_Terri -- Blanket Immunity

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Read_Terri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-read-terri.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Review by Read_Terri -- Blanket Immunity

Post by Read_Terri »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Blanket Immunity" by Adam Van Susteren.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Joanna is a young prosecutor that lost a race for a judgeship. After losing the election, she opens a criminal law firm. Joanna finds her self in financial difficulties and needs to grow her practice as soon as possible. She quickly gets three clients. These clients will make her question her ethics and if it is ever okay to bend the law a little to ensure justice prevails.

I was pleasantly surprised that Adam Van Susteren’s Blanket Immunity grabbed me from the start and kept me to the end. Van Susteren can write a lawyer novel that reaches the intellectual reader. Through Joanna, I found myself wondering where I would be in bending the law to ensure justice won. I am not able to come up with something I disliked about the book. I even found myself liking the unsavory client and his thoughts on justice that I should not have liked.

Blanket Immunity is for readers who enjoy a good plot and like unexpected twists. I have read similar types of books and often figured out the plot. This plot had a few unexpected events. It would also appeal to readers that like thinking about what they might do. The main character has a strong female role and would interest people who look for that type of character. I would warn that a victim of rape may not like this book. However, the small section that touched on the rape was very brief and not too descriptive. Well done. The act was not the essential detail in the book but helped the plot move.

Blanket Immunity receives four out of four. It captured my attention from the beginning. The plot had twists, and I found myself guessing what was coming next. The use of profane words was minimal. Some readers may not consider the words used as profane. In context, I thought the word choices fit the type of character using them, and did not take away from my rating. The editing was excellent, and I did not catch a typo or grammatical error.

In summary, Blanket Immunity is a good read, and I gave a four out of four rating. Van Susteren developed sound characters. Through the characters, he made me think about what my actions may be in the same situation. I did not notice any typos or grammatical errors. Finally, the profane words were minimal to the point some readers may not consider the words profane. A book worth reading.

Blanket Immunity
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”