Review by Delaney35 -- E-M-P Honeymoon

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Delaney35
Currently Reading: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-delaney35.html
Latest Review: Lingering Poets by Logan Lamech

Review by Delaney35 -- E-M-P Honeymoon

Post by Delaney35 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "E-M-P Honeymoon" by Dorothy May Mercer.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer is more than your typical romance. It follows the turbulent honeymoon of Tom and Kelly. They decided to spend it in a resort in Honduras; they thought it would be a relaxing, enjoyable time. However, they did not know that a terrorist organization had picked the same place to store their weapon of mass destruction. Together they must find out what is going on and stop the terrorists before disaster strikes.

I think labeling this book as a romance was a bit misleading. There were aspects of romance, but the main focus was on the action. The pacing and structure of the book also were reminiscent of a thriller. I was a bit thrown off by this as I was expecting more of a romance. However, it was a nice surprise. The action was interesting and well-paced. The point of view also moved around so all sides of the story could be seen. It was not confusing, and the pace did not feel rushed. I think Mercer did a really good job of moving the story along in an interesting way. This was my favorite part.

I think the main weakness of this book was the characters. They all seemed a bit flat, and there was not much development. I think Mercer focused on the plot and left the characters on the back burner. I was hoping to see how dealing with the terrorists would impact Kelly and Tom’s new marriage, but it was not mentioned that much. I was also expecting a bit more of a focus on those two because it was classified as a romance. This was the part I liked the least.

This book was well-edited. I only noticed a few errors that did not impact my ability to read the book.

Overall, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I am taking away a star because I feel like the characters were not well-developed. Had Mercer spent a little more time digging into the impact of the events on the characters and their relationships, this book would be worthy of a perfect rating. Readers looking for a quick thriller would enjoy this book. It would also appeal to romance readers as there is still a focus on romance in the novel. I would caution against younger audiences as there is some sexual content. If you have a few hours and would like a light thriller with bits of romance, this is an excellent choice for you.

E-M-P Honeymoon
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”