Official Review: Dual Therapy by Elvis Bray

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 70
2017 Reading Goal: 25
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 400
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Sleepwalker
Bookshelf Size: 387
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: Animals Save The World by Zac Pepper & Michael Ashby
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Dual Therapy by Elvis Bray

Post by MarisaRose » 25 Nov 2019, 11:59

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Dual Therapy" by Elvis Bray.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Dual Therapy, by Elvis Bray, follows Detective Storm Harrison as he investigates the rape and murder of a young girl. Upon viewing the crime scene, Storm notes the murder is eerily familiar to a case he worked when he first joined the Colorado Springs Police Department. Storm blames himself for the death of the young girl in the previous case, and his frustration about his inability to catch the killer has manifested over the years as a recurring nightmare. The nightmares have made it difficult for Storm to have a healthy social life, but Storm’s chance meeting with Katy Taylor, a county prosecutor who’s beauty previously held Storm’s attention, reignites a fire within the detective. With Katy’s calming influence, Storm is ready to take down the killer that has haunted him throughout his career. Storm is willing to do whatever it takes to make sure there are no additional victims.

At first, Dual Therapy plays out like a straightforward mystery: The story follows Storm as he pursues the psychopathic killer. Just when the focus on catching the murderer begins to feel overwrought, Bray switches gears, and the mystery takes on a new identity in the courtroom. The unexpected plot path and change in setting created an enjoyable narrative balance between detective work and legal drama, which made the novel stand apart from those typically found in the genre. Similarly, the novel culminates in a fantastic ending that is cleverly supported by the methodical development of the narrative. The ending is more intelligent than one would typically find in a mystery, and its excitement is rooted in the realistic nature of the court proceedings.

Additionally, Storm is an engaging first-person narrator. He has a matter-of-fact disposition that is threatened by the frustration and anger he feels about the elusive killer. In some ways, Storm is the typical hardboiled detective: he’s brash, intelligent, and isn’t afraid to take matters into his own hands. However, Storm’s development was so well done that the stereotypical nature of his persona only added to Bray’s enjoyable storytelling. On the other hand, Storm’s female counterpart, Katy, suffered from relatively shallow development. Until the end, when Katy becomes crucial to the plot, she’s mostly just a pretty woman used as a device to further the story. I would have appreciated more depth to Katy, especially considering her significance in Storm’s life.

Though the author is a great storyteller, the standout feature of this novel is Bray’s exhilarating play on the reader’s perceptions and assumptions. As the plot unfolds, it becomes increasingly clear that the real focus of the novel isn’t catching the elusive murderer of the young girls. In actuality, the heart and soul of Dual Therapy is defined by a much-less-obvious murder. Using Storm’s first-person narrative, Bray expertly baits the reader into believing events unfold expectedly. However, as the nuances of what really occurred are unveiled during the courtroom proceedings, Bray has the reader questioning everything they thought they knew about the murder under investigation.

Dual Therapy was one of the most exciting and engaging mysteries I’ve read in a long time. The plot is methodically developed, Storm’s first-person narration is absorbing, and Bray masterfully plays on the reader’s expectations, all of which combined to create a book that is truly impossible to put down. Unfortunately, the novel needs another round of editing. I noted quite a few mistakes, though none of the errors were overly distracting. If not for the editorial issues, I would have rated Dual Therapy a glowing 4 stars; however, the errors force me to detract one star, leaving Bray’s work with a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. Despite its minor flaws, I highly recommend Dual Therapy to mystery fans looking for a thought-provoking plot with a clever narrator and elements of a courtroom drama. However, readers should be aware that the narrative includes graphic descriptions of the brutal crime scenes Storm investigates.

Dual Therapy
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"No two persons ever read the same book." -Edmund Wilson

Michelle Fred
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-fred.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Post by Michelle Fred » 26 Nov 2019, 10:45

I enjoy mystery novels and this one sounds like a good read based on your review. Even though I would have preferred an equally well developed female protagonist, it seems worth my while. Thanks for the recommendation.

Miller56
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miller56.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by Miller56 » 26 Nov 2019, 12:46

Thanks for the review. I enjoy reading mysteries and this sounds like one that would keep my attention. I am adding it to my list to read.

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 83
Currently Reading: Sunshine at the Academy
Bookshelf Size: 313
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Only with Blood by Therese Down

Post by kandscreeley » 26 Nov 2019, 20:01

Interesting. I love that this is both police procedural as well as courtroom drama. You rarely find those two together. Sounds like something I absolutely need to read. Thanks!
Good books, like good friends, are few and chosen; the more select, the more enjoyable.
-Louisa May Alcott

La Cabra
Currently Reading: Jag &auml;r Zlatan
Bookshelf Size: 413
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-la-cabra.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by La Cabra » 27 Nov 2019, 01:49

Oh I love a good plot-twist! Sounds like a decent mystery novel, a great companion for spending a cozy weekend by the fireplace with. Thanks for your review!

Bhaskins
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 95
Currently Reading: The Biography of Her
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bhaskins.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Bhaskins » 03 Dec 2019, 15:24

This sounds like a must read! Thank you for such a wonderful review. I'm adding this to my list now. Mysteries are my go-to and so often if you have read one, you've read them all. This sounds like a nice change of pace.
"I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book." -J.K. Rowling

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 118
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: Winter in Full Bloom
Bookshelf Size: 301
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: The Last Man at the Inn by R. William Bennett

Post by kdstrack » 05 Dec 2019, 16:52

I love books that make you think and keep you guessing until the end. I enjoyed your comments about the way the author develops the story and the characters. This looks good! Thanks.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”