Official Review: Finding Lisa by Sigrid Macdonald

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Julie Petitbon
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
Currently Reading: Becoming Michele Obama
Bookshelf Size: 699
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-petitbon.html
Latest Review: Sophia Violet and the Fiery Orb by Evangeline Greene
fav_author_id: 1778

Official Review: Finding Lisa by Sigrid Macdonald

Post by Julie Petitbon »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Finding Lisa" by Sigrid Macdonald.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Finding Lisa by Sigrid Macdonald is a contemporary mystery. Tara Richards feels disenchanted with her life. Approaching her fortieth birthday, she deems herself boring and predictable, stuck in a lackluster marriage and unhappy in her career. Her only happiness stems from her relationship with Lisa, her best friend since their teen years. Lisa is beautiful, spontaneous, and carefree.

When Lisa goes missing, many people suspect that she has reverted to her old lifestyle of drugs and alcohol. Tara knows better. Lisa just told Tara about her pregnancy and that that the father may not be her live-in boyfriend. As the days pass, and Lisa’s abandoned car is found, foul play becomes a more frightening reality. Tara vows to find out what happened to Lisa.

This book covers a wide range of issues that affect women and includes aging, pregnancy, domestic violence, addiction, motherhood, and self-esteem. Tara, for example, is in the midst of an identity crisis. She feels unhappy in her loveless marriage, lacking as a mother, and burned out at her job. It isn’t until Tara loses Lisa that she begins to find herself. It is as if the absence of her impulsive and passionate friend serves as a catalyst to Tara’s search for self.

I like that Tara wants to take charge of her unhappiness, but I don’t love all of Tara’s actions. She becomes wrapped up in her issues throughout Lisa’s disappearance. Worried about her appearance, her hair color, and Alain’s feelings about her, Tara fails to put Lisa first. She rejects her husband and barely pays attention to her son, who she even forgets to pick up after his root canal. I also dislike her odd obsession with Alain. He works at the grocery store where she shops. She fantasizes about him and even goes out with him behind her husband’s back. She fixates on her feelings for Alain, ignoring the signs that they are not compatible. Tara is very self-involved but not very self-aware. Her poor decision-making and overall ignorance of the feelings of others leads to the surprising conclusion of the book.

The author is very knowledgeable about a myriad of topics. Though the main story is about Tara, it also explores politics, activism, arts, literature, humanities, and the history of Canada. Furthermore, the story takes place in Ontario, Canada, and the book includes specific references to Canadian and American culture. I love that the author included news stories and political events that transpired. That and the specific, vivid, and detailed descriptions of Tara’s job at the hospital, add to the realistic nature of the story.

I rate Finding Lisa 4 out of 4 stars. This well-edited story includes realistically faulted characters, a plethora of women’s issues, and a suspenseful mystery. There are sexual references and a few vulgar words, so it is more appropriate for older teens and adults. The story might not appeal to people who dislike reading about addiction and abuse. However, readers who enjoy contemporary literature about a woman’s search for identity while she searches for her missing friend will enjoy this book.

Finding Lisa
View: on Bookshelves
Laura Lee
Currently Reading: Holiday in Death 
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-lee.html
Latest Review: My ABC "Chair" Book by Barbara H. Hartsfield

Post by Laura Lee »

Thanks for a very clear, well-written review. This sounds like something that would be fun to read. It's nice when authors make their main characters relatable by having realistic human failings.
Laura Lee

“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.”
― Groucho Marx, The Essential Groucho: Writings For By And About Groucho Marx
Miller56
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miller56.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

Post by Miller56 »

Boy, I have walked in Tara's shoes for a few days on different occasions. This book sounds like an interesting read. Thanks for the thorough review.
Chrystal Oaks
Favorite Book: The Favor
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 1194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrystal-oaks.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Chrystal Oaks »

A best friend goes missing and the main character sets out to find her. This sounds like a good mystery. I also like that the setting is in Canada, and I have definitely added this book to my reading list. I enjoyed reading your thorough review. Thanks! :-)
We do not simply live in this universe. The universe lives within us.

- Neil deGrasse Tyson
Julie Petitbon
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
Currently Reading: Becoming Michele Obama
Bookshelf Size: 699
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-petitbon.html
Latest Review: Sophia Violet and the Fiery Orb by Evangeline Greene
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Julie Petitbon »

Chrystal Oaks wrote: 21 Nov 2019, 18:09 A best friend goes missing and the main character sets out to find her. This sounds like a good mystery. I also like that the setting is in Canada, and I have definitely added this book to my reading list. I enjoyed reading your thorough review. Thanks! :-)
It is an interesting mystery. I liked the Canadian setting as well - the Canadian and American history was fascinating.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”