Official Review: Substitute Soloist by D.R. Ransdell

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Snowflake
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snowflake.html
Latest Review: Don't Think Twice by Barbara Schoichet

Official Review: Substitute Soloist by D.R. Ransdell

Post by Snowflake »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Substitute Soloist" by D.R. Ransdell.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Substitute Soloist by D. R. Ransdell is a cosy/amateur sleuth mystery novel. It is the fourth book in the Andy Veracruz Mystery Book series. It begins in Tucson, Arizona, with our main character starting a job with the Tucson Symphony Orchestra. Almost late to his first concert, Andy is amused by the vocal disagreement between the concertmaster (the lead violinist) and the head of the symphony board. During the concert, the concertmaster breaks a violin string and walks off the stage. Andy, familiar with the violin solo from his college days, takes over her part and receives thunderous applause. At the end of the concert, the head of the symphony board is discovered backstage with a knife in his chest, and the concertmaster is nowhere to be found. Andy reluctantly aids the conductor in his search for the missing lead violinist. The eventful trail includes the Netherlands, France, and Mexico.

Andy is the former leader of a Mariachi band back in California. Events of earlier books have left him jobless and looking for work in a new city. He is now living with his girlfriend, Rachel, and has accepted a job with the Tucson Orchestra as part of the first violin section. The story is mostly focused on Andy and his misadventures in his relationship and as an orchestra member. The mystery almost takes a back seat until near the end of the book. This is done in a natural and interesting way, nevertheless. Even though this wasn’t a meticulous, clue dropping thriller, I was always interested in what was going to happen next. I read the book quickly and enjoyed it thoroughly. You do not need to read the first three books to appreciate this one. After finishing this novel you may, like me, be very tempted to go back and start at the beginning of the series.

There is a lot of time spent on Andy and his efforts to fit in as a Mariachi violinist within an orchestra. For me, this was a really enjoyable aspect of the book. All of the music terms were explained within the story in a natural way. I was never left wondering what a specific expression meant but it also in no way felt like I was getting a lecture. The story was told with an acerbic wit that had our hero seeing things with a clear eye and not taking himself too seriously. He mentally pokes fun at his fellow musicians noting that, “they adjusted their music stands, a quarter of an inch this way, a third of an inch that way, as if the height of the stand would make a difference in performance.”

D.S. Ransdell writes our main character as a regular person. Although his actions were occasionally frustrating, I really enjoyed Andy’s story and the fact that he was not perfect. I like a good “Mission Impossible” superhero type of story as much as the next person. However, I also really enjoy books with easily relatable characters. It would have been nice to learn more about Andy’s girlfriend, Rachel, and her perspective. Apparently she may have her own book, but a bit more information in this one would have been appreciated.

I rate The Substitute Soloist by D. R. Ransdell 4 out of 4 stars. It was well edited, the text and plot flowed smoothly, explanations were included effortlessly and the story was very interesting and entertaining. There are some words that would be considered profane, but they are few and far between. There is a reference to sex but nothing further than that is described. This book is suitable for all readers, including young adults. This may not be the first choice for those who prefer a thriller or police procedural type of mystery. It is an enjoyable read for anyone that likes life stories and cosy, amateur sleuth mysteries. Those who are curious about life as a member of an orchestra will likely enjoy this excellent novel.

Substitute Soloist
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
peace starts with a smile...
La Cabra
Currently Reading: Jag är Zlatan
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-la-cabra.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by La Cabra »

The sitting is very unique, orchestra and all; I haven't come across many similar novels. While it sounds very interesting, I'm more drawn to the thrillers in the CTMH genre, I don't think I'd relate much with either the characters or plot in this one. But I am sure many others will! Thanks for your honest review, it was very well written :D
Ekta Swarnkar
Favorite Book: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-swarnkar.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Ekta Swarnkar »

Nice review!
I am happy that the musical terms were described so that the not-at-all-beginners like could understand. Haha!
You live your dreams in the characters of the books you read. :techie-studyingbrown:
Snowflake

Post by Snowflake »

Thanks for stopping by La Cabra and Etka!
Juliet+1
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Elephants of Style
Currently Reading: A New American Evolution
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliet-1.html
Latest Review: Your Smart Home Voyage by Gary Rockis

Post by Juliet+1 »

This book sounds like just my cup of tea. I love cozy mysteries, and I used to play violin in my school orchestra. Going from Mariachi to orchestral would be a huge change, I think. Many thanks for a terrific review! :D
Snowflake

Post by Snowflake »

Juliet+1 wrote: 27 Nov 2019, 16:51 This book sounds like just my cup of tea. I love cozy mysteries, and I used to play violin in my school orchestra. Going from Mariachi to orchestral would be a huge change, I think. Many thanks for a terrific review! :D
Thanks Juliet+1, it was a really enjoyable read. With some musical background, I think you’ll enjoy it even more!
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

The explanation of the musical terms and you desire to read the previous books in the series are two positive comments that make me look favorably at this series. I appreciate you insightful comments about the setting and characters. Thanks.
Snowflake

Post by Snowflake »

kdstrack wrote: 02 Dec 2019, 15:55 The explanation of the musical terms and you desire to read the previous books in the series are two positive comments that make me look favorably at this series. I appreciate you insightful comments about the setting and characters. Thanks.
You're welcome - thanks for stopping by :)

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”