Official Review: Artificial Light by D.Dupree

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kislany
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 405
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: A Gastronomic Vade Mecum by John Warwick Montgomery

Official Review: Artificial Light by D.Dupree

Post by kislany » 12 Nov 2019, 08:24

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Artificial Light" by D.Dupree.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Artificial Light by D. Dupree is a political thriller that deals with international terrorism, one person’s particular brand of evil used to rule the world from the shadows, and the courageous actions of a few. The story takes us from the United States all the way to the sand dunes of Mongolia, far away from modern civilization.

Unlike most thrillers of this type where there is one main character to follow (such as Jack Reacher in Lee Child’s novels), here we have several main — good and bad — characters who feature throughout the story, such as cave diver and agent-for-hire John Capshaw, madman genius Yanji Wellington, Wellington’s protégé Miki Soon, and a bunch of greedy lawyers who would sell their souls for some extra zeroes added to their bank accounts.

This multiple-viewpoint narrative allows us to take a peek behind the curtains of evil, and we get to learn more about the characters’ reasons behind their often horrible actions. Watching arrogant people like Milos Gant and Stew McClary realize the very moment their lives turn for the worse is an entirely joyful experience. It seems even they can grow a conscience when there is no other way out.

I enjoyed the budding romance between John and Miki. With John’s help, she developed the willpower to become her own person, especially after living in Wellington's shadow all her life. Wellington also had an interesting personality. I will never forget the theatrical entrance he made when he welcomed the lawyers into his home. I found his character arc the most pronounced and most satisfying to follow even though he should have been the one to hate above all.

While the book is an engaging read in terms of story and character development, I do need to mention one small issue I noticed while reading. It didn't bother me much, but it seemed that several people had a similar ability to read other people’s minds. Stew McClary “possessed the ability to gauge the intent of a person by the precipitous appraisal of their expressions.” Larry Briggin was “good at reading people,” and Peter Simon “was able to read […] thoughts – a gift he had since early childhood.” The book was not a paranormal story, so these abilities appeared way too often in it.

Overall, I like the author’s writing style. D. Dupree has a clear and distinctive voice, and her prose is poetic in places. She often uses flowery descriptions that, strangely enough, work in this book. I found a few grammatical errors, especially missing periods at the ends of sentences and some misspellings, but in general, this is a well-edited book. Thus, I award Artificial Light 4 out of 4 stars and recommend it to readers of slower-paced, character-focused political thrillers where the bad guys feature almost as much as the good ones.

Artificial Light
View: on Bookshelves

peter Novler
2019 Reading Goal: 30
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 36
Favorite Book: Heartaches
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peter-novler.html
Latest Review: Conflict on the Yangtze by Greg Kater

Post by peter Novler » 14 Nov 2019, 03:05

Awesome! It's a great review.

Meg98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg98.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by Meg98 » 14 Nov 2019, 10:47

This sounds like a really great and exciting read! I look forward to checking it out. Thanks for the excellent review!
Oh love, never be afraid to fly :wink2:

Laura Bach
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 739
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-bach.html
Latest Review: The Nine by Terry Cloutier

Post by Laura Bach » 14 Nov 2019, 14:35

It's funny how these characters had the ability to read each other's minds. Thank you for this great review!

rumik
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rumik.html
Latest Review: Long About Ten Years by Paul O. Snawder, Vera Hensley, Carol Wooten

Post by rumik » 16 Nov 2019, 09:35

Sounds like I'd really enjoy the writing style of this one. Thanks for the great review!

Deepa09k
2019 Reading Goal: 5
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 160
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deepa09k.html
Latest Review: Conflict on the Yangtze by Greg Kater

Post by Deepa09k » 22 Nov 2019, 13:12

Wonderful review! It seems you have captured the essence of the characters pretty well.

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 116
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: E-M-P Honeymoon
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: The Last Man at the Inn by R. William Bennett

Post by kdstrack » 24 Nov 2019, 23:30

You have made all the characters sound quite interesting. I, especially, enjoyed your insight into the mind reading ability of the characters. Great review!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”