Official Review: Gravnick by Bob Herpe

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Adedayo+23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adedayo-23.html
Latest Review: Yona by Deanna Irwin

Official Review: Gravnick by Bob Herpe

Post by Adedayo+23 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Gravnick" by Bob Herpe.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Chief of Police Ernie Gravnick's life is about to change. His latest case is not only proving to be like a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma, but it could also - quite literally - be the death of him. First, a husband and wife appear to have been brutally hacked and beaten to death, and the evidence points to their 13-year-old son as the culprit. Then while investigating a lead, Ernie is nearly beaten to death and left in a coma. It appears someone does not want him to solve this case.

To complicate things, Ernie becomes romantically involved with the person he believes to be the prime suspect. Yet, nothing is as it seems. With the possible involvement of both a mob boss and a sadistic assassin, Ernie is left grasping at straws. To stand a chance at solving the case, Ernie needs to figure out the motive behind the attack on the couple. Time is not on his side.

Bob Herpe’s debut novel, Gravnick, is a fast-paced, hard-edged, and well-written work of fiction. The plot and character development were more than adequate, and the dialogue felt real. The story picked up from the start with a momentum that built steadily. I appreciate the level of research that went into making the writing so compelling. The characterizations were believable, and the context of a dead attorney defending his client from the “grave” was quite fascinating. I also enjoyed how the author used alternate chapters to give readers a bit of background on the key characters in the book.

My favorite character was Dora Gravnick, Ernie’s mother. Her sassy spirit made her appear larger than life, despite being paralyzed from the neck down. Between her mind and her tongue, it was hard to decide which was sharper. Dora was a hoot, and I found her self-deprecating humor to be quite endearing. She was the daughter of a Mafia Don who had defied a father she idolized to marry a Jew. Following the murder of both her father and her husband, she suffered a debilitating stroke resulting from years of ceaseless binge drinking to drown her sorrows.

Unfortunately, several grammatical and typographical errors prevent me from giving Gravnick the maximum rating. However, the editing issues did not detract from the overall quality of the story as it was an engaging page-turner. The suspense, plot twists, romance, and intrigue made for a fun read. If you’re into fast-paced crime thrillers, this book is certainly worth your while. I gladly rate Gravnick 3 out of 4 stars, and I look forward to reading more books by this talented author.

Gravnick
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"Destiny struggles to reassert the pattern that was meant to be." ~ Lightning by Dean Koontz :tiphat:
Latest Review: Yona by Deanna Irwin
Anon_Reviewer
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anon-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

Great plot, unforgettable characters, and numerous twists and turns - now that's the kind of content I'd pay for! Just simply reading your review got my heart racing. It's unfortunate that poor editing threatened to spoil the fun. Either way, I'm adding this one to my TRL. Incredible review. Thank you!
AvidBibliophile
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Gold Digger
Bookshelf Size: 480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: How I Became Santa Clause by Chris Kringle

Post by AvidBibliophile »

Falling in love with the prime suspect... now that's a temptation that always creates a moral pickle! And the mom definitely sounds like a quick-witted character from your lovely description of her. This sounds like it might be a good one to check out!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Even with the errors, I'm curious about who perpetrated the murders! Surely it wasn't their son. I guess I'll have to read and find out. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I enjoyed the way you described Ernie's job and his dilemma. Your review describes the twists that the author puts into the story. Dora looks like an exciting character, too. Great review!
Rachel Yelimala
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-yelimala.html
Latest Review: LaBlance Fish Tales Two by Peter F LaBlance

Post by Rachel Yelimala »

Crime thriller are definitely my thing, I will check it out. Thank you for the review.
Sia_young
Favorite Author: Sarah J. Maas
Currently Reading: Healing Wounds of the Soul
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sia-young.html
Latest Review: The Shanghai Circle by Tony Henderson
fav_author_id: 2719
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 35%

Post by Sia_young »

Great review. I liked how you summarised the plot without giving out much spoilers but creating suspense. I'm curious to know who beat up Ernie and who doesn't want him to solve the case. I surely hope it's not his lover haha.
Can't wait to start reading it!
Kshitija Sonawane
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kshitija-sonawane.html
Latest Review: Back to Bremo by Debby Hall
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 37%

Post by Kshitija Sonawane »

I love such mystery crime novels, and the premise of this book is really interesting. Thankfully, the book is free. I can go ahead and read it, and that makes me so so happy. Congratulations on BOTD, and best wishes for future projects.
Asma Aisha Ansari
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Roadside Picnic
Currently Reading: Sapiens
Bookshelf Size: 813
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asma-aisha-ansari.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Asma Aisha Ansari »

Gravnick by Bob Herpe is a gripping tale about Chief of Police Ernie Gravnick's perilous investigation, entangled with mob bosses and a romantic twist. It promises an adrenaline-fueled ride and is a must-read for thriller enthusiasts.
Imagination is a good servant, and a bad master. - Agatha Christie
Mole128
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Mole128 »

The book sounds thrilling, I would love to know if the case get to solved and what happens when Ernie gets involved with someone he suspects. I would love to read the book and find out how did the author get to combine everything so well.
Leen282
Currently Reading: Live Your Life of Abundance
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leen282.html
Latest Review: Beautifully Scarred by Cewanda Todd

Post by Leen282 »

Fast-paced crime thrillers are my cup of tea. Too bad about the editing errors but that comment did not stop me from immediately adding the book on my shelves. How will this dead attorney defend his client from the grave... Intriguing!
DUNCAN TSHEPANG MATHEBULA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-duncan-tshepang-mathebula.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by DUNCAN TSHEPANG MATHEBULA »

I would love to read about Ernie as he gets to solve the couples murder as the evidence points to their child. I would love to read and find out how he gets to solve the case. The book sounds exciting and thrilling.
valentiareshoketswe
Currently Reading: Fifty Shades of Grey
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by valentiareshoketswe »

As a fan of thriller I would love to read this book. I would love to read whether Ernie gets to solve the murder case and what happens when he gets involved with someone he suspects. It sounds like a thrilling book.
elmony rhode
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elmony-rhode.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by elmony rhode »

An amazing and intriguing review is a perfect example of the one you wrote. From the start I wanted to know more of what you got to say. It's horrible that the couple got beaten to death but the interesting part is Ernie developing feelings for the prime suspect what a turn indeed. Ernie's mother sounds like an interesting woman and I would definitely want to know what is stored up in her vocabulary.
Thank you for your review I added the book to my shelve!
Macelo
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-macelo.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Macelo »

This thriller novel seems intriguing. There's nothing intriguing than a muder mystery and the most astonishing fact is the suspected culprit is a minor, looking forward to see how the story unravels.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”