Official Review: The Journey Of Christopher

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Official Review: The Journey Of Christopher

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Journey Of Christopher" by Michael J DiSalvo.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Have you ever become disillusioned or questioned your faith? After experiencing loss, including the death of his beloved grandmother, Christopher begins to doubt his beliefs. In The Journey Of Christopher by Michael J. DiSalvo, Christmas is only a few days away, but sixteen-year-old Christopher is suddenly irritated by everything related to the holiday. As he is wrestling with his faith, he is transported to a faraway place, and he meets a quirky guide who helps him discover the truth about staying on the right path and the ultimate power of Jesus.

To avoid confusion, I will start by noting that this coming-of-age story is mistakenly categorized in the wrong genre. A more accurate description of the blended genres might be The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe meets A Christmas Carol with a dash of sci-fi. The story is best suited for a young adult audience and traverses themes of family, faith, loss, generosity, love, sacrifice, and good versus evil. It contains no profanity, and the violent encounters are relevant to the plot. Additionally, the editing is flawless.

Most of the story focuses on Christopher's journey while he is away from home, but his family is introduced and also referred to later in the book. DiSalvo does an excellent job of using the storyline to illustrate the characterization of Christopher's parents and younger brother. I particularly like the portrayal of his mother; she is the picture of the Christmas spirit as she prepares for the holiday. I also appreciate the humor of Christopher's guide, Mike.

My only dislike is an entire chapter devoted to a battle scene between Christopher and an otherworldly character. As DiSalvo doesn't reveal the nature of the character in the synopsis, I want to be careful about exposing spoilers. It is an epic battle between good and evil, and Christopher risks his life to defend a new friend. I appreciate the sacrificial example, but the chapter would be more interesting with a shorter battle.

I'm pleased to rate The Journey Of Christopher 4 out of 4 stars. Despite the lengthy battle chapter, it is an otherwise engaging story with a creative plot and inspirational message. As the story revolves around the crisis of Christopher's faith, I recommend it primarily to Christian readers. However, the fantasy and sci-fi aspects may also appeal to a wider audience. The content is suitable for ages 12 and older. Fans of inspirational holiday tales will also appreciate the Christmas spirit it evokes.

The Journey Of Christopher
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kaitlyn Canedy
Favorite Author: Napoleon Hill
Favorite Book: Too Old Too Soon
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 509
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlyn-canedy.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 16%

Post by Kaitlyn Canedy »

The author was very blessed to have the courage to write about such a sensitive topic. I love the holidays and I am a big believer in the Christian faith, and I think that I would enjoy this book. Thank you for an honest review!
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant, it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.”- Mewtwo
Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Magnify3 »

I would like to read this book. I enjoyed reading your review. Thanks for the review as well as the recommendation.
Falconcrest
Currently Reading: Brass Rail
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-falconcrest.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Falconcrest »

This sounds like an interesting book with elements that revolve around Christianity and mixed with ingredients like science fiction and fantasy. This will be a good book to get lost in. Thanks for the outstanding review.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Katie Canedy wrote: 13 Nov 2019, 00:55 The author was very blessed to have the courage to write about such a sensitive topic. I love the holidays and I am a big believer in the Christian faith, and I think that I would enjoy this book. Thank you for an honest review!
You're welcome. Thanks for sharing, Katie.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Magnify3 wrote: 13 Nov 2019, 03:37 I would like to read this book. I enjoyed reading your review. Thanks for the review as well as the recommendation.
I appreciate your comment. Enjoy the book!
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Falconcrest wrote: 13 Nov 2019, 03:46 This sounds like an interesting book with elements that revolve around Christianity and mixed with ingredients like science fiction and fantasy. This will be a good book to get lost in. Thanks for the outstanding review.
Thanks for your comment. :tiphat:
Meg98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg98.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by Meg98 »

I'm not sure if this one is for me so I'm going to pass for now, but thanks for this great review!
Oh love, never be afraid to fly :wink2:
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Meg98 wrote: 13 Nov 2019, 22:44 I'm not sure if this one is for me so I'm going to pass for now, but thanks for this great review!
Thanks for your comment.
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

This book has some interesting themes, but I do wonder about the battle you describe. The Christmas themes does sound appealing. Thanks for the excellent analysis of this book. Merry Christmas!
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great review! I'm glad you mentioned the book was categorized in the wrong genre, as the plot description didn't sound like a mystery. Glad you enjoyed the book!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”