Official Review: The Midas Effect by TM Nantier

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jgideon
Favorite Book: Gates to Tangier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgideon.html
Latest Review: Sundays with Sister ssj by Anthony Happy LaRiccia

Official Review: The Midas Effect by TM Nantier

Post by Jgideon »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Midas Effect" by TM Nantier.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Rodney Best, a top member of Jason Boulez’s security team, was on duty the night Steve Ross and Jim Ragan paid a visit to his boss’ communication building uninvited. Jason Boulez was one of the people whose movement, business, and communication were closely monitored by the American security forces. He was a billionaire of Algerian descent.

The Midas Effect by TM Nantier is a C/T/M/H novel that revolves around the activities of agent Steve Ross in unveiling the truth about billionaire Jason Boulez and his global shipping company. The novel has 400+ pages. The information that Steve and Jim uncovered from Boulez’s communication building revealed that a fleet of 40 ships, which belonged to Boulez, were involved in some type of business that was not quite clear to the security forces. Could Steve Ross brace himself to the task of finding more about Boulez’s businesses and motives?

This suspense-driven novel grabbed my attention right from the first page. I loved how the author moved from one adrenaline-packed scene to the next, without wavering from the flow of the plot. I watched as Beth moved from a bar to a party, and later found herself in the dangerous circle of Steve and Jim. The integration of Beth to the activities of the two agents was not without difficulties, but the author managed to merge the civilian (Beth) into the lives of the trained undercover agents. Since Rodney had noted the presence of the woman (Beth), he had no way of knowing if she was an agent or not. She had been listed as one of Boulez’s most wanted people. What could save her from their brutality?

I loved the scientific aspect of the book. I had several a-ha moments as I ‘interacted’ with the scientists in this book. Beth, the civilian mentioned above, was a microbiologist who played a fundamental role in Boulez’s case. Alejandro Peña, a scientist who had disappeared two years before Steve Ross began uncovering the activities of Boulez, mesmerized me with his wealth of scientific knowledge and research. He was also very brave. It is always amazing to learn what some well-articulated scientific maneuvers can do.

In my opinion, the cover page of the book does not give a clear picture of the book. The face of the woman (in the cover) gives a different (a romantic) notion to the book. Although the novel has a romance feature, it does not dominate its plot.

The book was not professionally edited. It has several errors (grammatical and typographical). Therefore, I gave The Midas Effect 3 out of 4 stars. I did not give it a lower score because it is very engaging. The scientific and technological (use of advanced technology in investigations) aspects of the book were very captivating. I recommend it to people who enjoy crime thrillers and investigative stories. For those who do not like reading books with gory scenes of murder, this is not the book for you.

The Midas Effect
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
missfrombliss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-missfrombliss.html
Latest Review: Korian by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by missfrombliss »

I love when there is a scientific aspect to the story. When there is something new to learn. :) Maybe will check it.
La Cabra
Currently Reading: Jag är Zlatan
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-la-cabra.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by La Cabra »

A global shipping company? That actually sounds really interesting, no jokes. I do like sciencey plot devices haha, and the characters sound very credible too, I can imagine this book has a very interesting story. Shame it wasn't edited well enough, though.
rumik
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rumik.html
Latest Review: Agartha by Jaylee Austin

Post by rumik »

I love a good C/T/M/H novel; this one certainly seems interesting. Thanks for the review!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It sounds like the author combines action with scientific knowledge in a fun way. I love that. The cover is fabulous; it makes me want to look into the book right away. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Falconcrest
Currently Reading: Brass Rail
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-falconcrest.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Falconcrest »

The cloak and dagger world. This sounds like a good read and with a twist of science and big business. This is definitely a yes for me and I agree with you on the books cover it is unquestionably misleading. Thanks for your very helpful and thorough review.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

The scientific angle is an interesting aspect of the book. It would be interesting to see how the author blends such a timeworn idea as the "Midas touch" with modern technologies. This looks intriguing. Great review.
Maríe Wamakima
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wamakima.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by Maríe Wamakima »

The title if the novel captured my attention from the word go. However I am not a fan of C/T/M/H, so this book will be a no for me.
But the path I’ve chosen has always been the right one, and I wouldn’t have had it any other way. :)

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”