Official Review: The Legman by Mike Kerr

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Official Review: The Legman by Mike Kerr

Post by Prisallen »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Legman" by Mike Kerr.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Micky owns a small neighborhood newspaper in the community of Austin, Chicago. He also works as a legman for Jim Diamond, who is an investigative reporter. Mr. Diamond received a letter from Reverend Charles Moore, stating he believes there is a local realty company organizing a group of black men to harass and intimidate residents of the Austin area. This is to force them to leave, so their homes can be purchased at a lower cost. The realty company can then sell their homes to black people for a much higher price. Mr. Diamond wasn’t interested in the story, so Micky called Reverend Moore and set up an appointment after his church service to interview him for his paper.

However, someone doesn’t appreciate what Reverend Moore is doing and sets the building on fire during the church service. Reverend Moore is killed, and a little girl is critically injured. When Micky tries to help, he is accosted and beaten as everyone thinks he must have set the fire, being a white man in a burning black church. He is saved by the police and firefighters who arrive for the fire. Upon getting out of the hospital, Micky is determined to discover who is responsible as the policemen declare it wasn’t arson. They have no intention of pursuing the case. Soon afterward, the murderer strikes again, and the police can’t ignore this death.

The Legman by Mike Kerr fits into the genre of C/T/M/H. The author grew up in the Chicago neighborhood of Austin during the time this story took place (1969). Therefore, his first-hand experience brings an authenticity to the tale. The author’s writing is descriptive and easy to understand, and the dialogue is believable.

His book includes several interesting layers to it. First, the tale can be read as an intriguing story of a murder, the hunt for the perpetrator, and, hopefully, bringing him to justice before he kills again. Next, the history of Chicago during this time frame is described, with all the gangs, both white and black (including Chicago Outfit, Blackstone Rangers, C-Notes Gang, Black Panthers, and Irish Social and Athletic Club). Plus, the political climate is depicted with racial discrimination by the police and the men in power. As you can see, the novel can also fit into the category of historical fiction. Finally, the novel reminds the readers that our actions during our lives frequently have unexpected, longstanding consequences as there can be a domino effect.

Initially, I thought the author was including too many side stories that were taking away from the major plot. However, as the story progressed, I could see how all the pieces were being woven masterfully together, along with several twists, to make a terrific ending. This was my favorite part of the tale.

The first six pages were perfectly edited, and I would have been ecstatic if the remainder of the book was the same way, gladly awarding it 4 stars. Sadly, there were many flaws in the form of punctuation and grammatical errors throughout the rest of the book. Many of these were misplaced quotation and punctuation marks. An example is, “ ‘What do you mean by the necessary actions, the ones that you hope it doesn’t come to, Mr. Mayor, ‘asks Reverend Moore in a clear breech of protocol?” It should read, “. . . Mr. Mayor?” asks Reverend Moore in a clear breach of protocol. These were numerous and distracting and my least favorite aspect of the book. It could use a professional editor. Because of the errors, I am forced to take away a star from the rating. Subsequently, The Legman achieves a rating of 3 out of 4 stars.

Readers who enjoy crime dramas, thrillers, and historical fiction books would appreciate this story. Rape, murder, torture, and profanities are seen in the book. Therefore, readers sensitive to those things might want to look elsewhere. It is unsuitable for children.

The Legman
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Jeremie Mondejar
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Author: Still searching
Currently Reading: SandPeople
Bookshelf Size: 1377
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeremie-mondejar.html
Latest Review: The Book of Moncoto by Mosetta Penick Phillips-Cermak, Ph.D.

Post by Jeremie Mondejar »

Who is the murderer? I love to read books about stories in the past. This one fits for me. Thanks for the review. I still wonder why black and whites oftentimes hate each other.
Jeremie
Official Reviewer Representative

"Jesus Christ is the Saviour of the world."
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

jeminah28 wrote: 07 Nov 2019, 00:48 Who is the murderer? I love to read books about stories in the past. This one fits for me. Thanks for the review. I still wonder why black and whites oftentimes hate each other.
It doesn't make sense, does it? All because of skin color. :eusa-think: I hope you enjoy the book!
Stephanie Elizabeth
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

Despite the errors and number of side stories, this sounds like an exciting read. Thanks for the wonderful review!
spluficvictory
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 206
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spluficvictory.html
Latest Review: Demon Heart by David Crane

Post by spluficvictory »

I'm always down for a good mystery thriller with suspense, and I find this book to be one of them. Sorry about the grammatical errors and I hope the author takes the hint and fix it. Thanks for the review 👍
“Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real.” :techie-studyingbrown:
Lisa A Rayburn
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

I'm not into the crime/mystery or historical fiction genres, so I'll likely give this one a pass. It's good to see authors who aren't afraid to tackle these issues, both past and present. Thanks for the great review!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It's too bad about the errors. I appreciate that all the little mini plots come together into a cohesive whole. It sounds very interesting, and I very well may have to look it up. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Dayday5543
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Dayday5543 »

Sounds very interesting...I would love to read this book.
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

Sounds like a very interesting book set in a volatile place and time. Thanks for a great review!
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

kandscreeley wrote: 05 Jan 2020, 18:25 It's too bad about the errors. I appreciate that all the little mini plots come together into a cohesive whole. It sounds very interesting, and I very well may have to look it up. Thanks.
I hope you get a chance to read it. Thanks for the comments!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Dayday5543 wrote: 06 Jan 2020, 00:33 Sounds very interesting...I would love to read this book.
I hope you get a chance to. Thanks for the comments!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

MsH2k wrote: 06 Jan 2020, 01:01 Sounds like a very interesting book set in a volatile place and time. Thanks for a great review!
It was. Thanks for stopping by and reading my review!
Erin Painter Baker
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Luke and Luka: Genius Kid Heroes by A.D. Largie

Post by Erin Painter Baker »

I think it's great when authors set their stories in the neighborhoods they grew up in. it brings a great sense of realism to the story. I don't know that I would read this book, though I would likely watch a movie with this storyline.
Adina Lutinger
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adina-lutinger.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Adina Lutinger »

Sounds like a very well-written book! I really like when a book has a lot of layers to it. You made me very curious to read this book, though I will have to pass it because I'm too sensitive to the things you warned about in the end. Thanks for the great review!
Erin Dydek
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Post by Erin Dydek »

I love the blend of genres in the story and the author’s personal experiences. I think you worded it beautifully when you said this author masterfully wove all the pieces together! Thanks for a wonderful review!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”