Official Review: Long About Ten Years

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
rumik
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rumik.html
Latest Review: Agartha by Jaylee Austin

Official Review: Long About Ten Years

Post by rumik »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Long About Ten Years" by Paul O. Snawder, Vera Hensley, Carol Wooten.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sylvester Adam Decker's wife, Sarah Foster, seemingly died of a snakebite ten years ago in 1906. Being an abusive husband, Sylvester was more enraged than upset at her death. He has spent the past decade seething in resentment towards her for leaving him. But now, a mysterious stranger approaches him with a sinister proposition. All of a sudden, he finds himself reliving the days after he proposed to her. But all is not as it seems.

By now, you may have assumed that Sylvester is the protagonist of Long About Ten Years; I did too. But this couldn't be further from the truth. Authors Paul O. Snawder, Vera Hensley, and Carol Wooten have painstakingly developed a vast, multi-generational plot with several characters and many twists and turns along the way. So much happens over the course of this book, you'll feel ten years have passed by the time you finish it.

Along with the plot, the characters are definitely one of the best parts of this book. One of the more distinctive ones is the parson that delights in making snakes dance, and he might not be as pious as he seems. Most of the characters in this book aren't morally perfect; a few of them may even hurt their own family to get what they want. And that's why the book feels so real. The characters have motivations and insecurities, and even the ones that appear towards the end of the book get their own backstories.

The writing style is very distinctive, fitting the book's historical setting. At times, the narrator sounds like a neighbor telling you about the recent gossip in town, which I really liked. Take this excerpt, describing the church of the aforementioned parson:

"I hear-tell that sometimes they'd even take to drinking strychnine just to see if the man upstairs would keep them from dying from the poison. Hell, even if He did, that stuff still has to taste like hot rotten eggs, and burn like blue flame moonshine going down. Folks used to say that old Applegate would drink that poison and then spit it in the eyes of those rattlers so they couldn't see where to bite him."

Unfortunately, this book is not without its faults. For one thing, it could really use a round of editing. I am usually lenient when it comes to commas, but there were numerous instances here where a necessary comma was omitted. I also found some more typos, some of which were rather confusing to read.

All in all, I'd rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. It's got an amazing plot and a unique cast of characters, but the editing issues hold it back. It's very commendable that a book with three authors manages to keep the writing consistent.

I'd recommend this to everyone interested in historical settings as well as family dramas. Although the book does involve some heavy religious themes, I didn't feel it was overly preachy. The book does have some profanity and depictions of violence, including rape, so I wouldn't recommend it to those under 18.

Long About Ten Years
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Falconcrest
Currently Reading: Brass Rail
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-falconcrest.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Falconcrest »

I truly believe that literature that explores any form of abuse should be appreciated. There is so much unwarranted abuse out there it is actually very frightening. Thanks for an amazing review and I will definitely be reading up on this interesting story.
Ekta Swarnkar
Favorite Book: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-swarnkar.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Ekta Swarnkar »

It is thrilling and scary both at the same time. I should really learn some of your reviewing techniques. Wonderful review!
You live your dreams in the characters of the books you read. :techie-studyingbrown:
Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: Greta Gar BITCH by Kimber Leigh

Post by Tomah »

What an interesting premise, even more so considering Sylvester isn't even the protagonist. I enjoy complex plots with several characters, so this could be right up my alley. Thanks for the review!
La Cabra
Currently Reading: Jag är Zlatan
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-la-cabra.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by La Cabra »

I really like early twentieth-century historical fiction and what you said about the writing and characters nearly had me sold! But unfortunately, I don't like books with too many main characters. I can imagine a lot of other readers really liking the idea though. Do hope the author gets the book professionally edited, sounds like this book has a lot of potential in bookstores.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I was becoming invested in learning Sylvester's story, but your threw a twist into your review! This sounds like an interesting author to get to know. Thanks for the intriguing review.
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Oh dear, it's always a pity when a book with a good plot and cast of characters is heavily overshadowed by editing issues. Hopefully, the author takes your advice. Thanks for the insightful review!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Good characters can make up for so many other flaws. Therefore, I'm glad that this one does well in that aspect. I just don't think it's for me, though. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I am curious about this collaboration by three authors. And more curious about the unusual characters. I hope the editing issues can be remedied soon.
Juliet+1
Favorite Book: The Elephants of Style
Currently Reading: A New American Evolution
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliet-1.html
Latest Review: Your Smart Home Voyage by Gary Rockis

Post by Juliet+1 »

What an enticing review! I hope this book gets another editing run so that I can explore all those plots and all those characters. :D
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I love stories with good character development as well as good plots! I will have to take a look at this one. Thanks for a wonderful review!
rumik
Currently Reading:

Post by rumik »

Falconcrest wrote: 08 Nov 2019, 02:35 I truly believe that literature that explores any form of abuse should be appreciated. There is so much unwarranted abuse out there it is actually very frightening. Thanks for an amazing review and I will definitely be reading up on this interesting story.
Ekta Swarnkar wrote: 08 Nov 2019, 11:23 It is thrilling and scary both at the same time. I should really learn some of your reviewing techniques. Wonderful review!
Tomah wrote: 08 Nov 2019, 11:33 What an interesting premise, even more so considering Sylvester isn't even the protagonist. I enjoy complex plots with several characters, so this could be right up my alley. Thanks for the review!
Thank you all for the kind words :D
AvidBibliophile
Currently Reading: Gold Digger
Bookshelf Size: 480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: How I Became Santa Clause by Chris Kringle

Post by AvidBibliophile »

Morally imperfect characters, dancing snakes, and a complex plot... sounds enthralling to me! Hopefully another round of editing will make it the finalized tale it deserves to be.
Erin Dydek
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Post by Erin Dydek »

I like the type of characters your described. Flaws give the cast of characters more depth than if they are all perfect in all of their ways. And the narrator’s voice is a unique part of the story as well. Thanks for the great review!
rumik
Currently Reading:

Post by rumik »

La Cabra wrote: 08 Nov 2019, 13:02 I really like early twentieth-century historical fiction and what you said about the writing and characters nearly had me sold! But unfortunately, I don't like books with too many main characters. I can imagine a lot of other readers really liking the idea though. Do hope the author gets the book professionally edited, sounds like this book has a lot of potential in bookstores.
kdstrack wrote: 08 Nov 2019, 14:54 I was becoming invested in learning Sylvester's story, but your threw a twist into your review! This sounds like an interesting author to get to know. Thanks for the intriguing review.
gen_g wrote: 08 Nov 2019, 18:18 Oh dear, it's always a pity when a book with a good plot and cast of characters is heavily overshadowed by editing issues. Hopefully, the author takes your advice. Thanks for the insightful review!
Thank you all for the kind words! :D

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”