Official Review: Lies in the Wind by Judy Bruce

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Adedayo+23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adedayo-23.html
Latest Review: Yona by Deanna Irwin

Official Review: Lies in the Wind by Judy Bruce

Post by Adedayo+23 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Lies in the Wind" by Judy Bruce.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Evil is in the air, and Megan Docket can feel it in her bones. For better or worse, she has been blessed with a sixth sense of sorts and can "feel" when something isn't right. A type of clairvoyance if you will. Megan is also an accomplished attorney and the owner of Docket Law, a law firm in western Nebraska. When news reaches her of the murder-suicide of a husband and wife Docket Law client, Megan knows there is more to the tragic event than meets the eye. Her senses are assaulted by sinister evil the moment she steps into the couple's home. Megan has her work cut out for her. Not only must she find the real killer, but she must also protect the couple's autistic son who can't comprehend what's happened to his parents.

Money seems to be the apparent motive, but as Megan investigates, she learns of a protracted family feud, which leads to many possible suspects. There's only so much her clairvoyance can reveal, Megan must rely on her sharp wit and lawyerly abilities to sift out the truth from the red herrings. Always one step ahead of the cops, will she be able to prove the guilt of the real murderer before he sets his sights on her?

Lies in the Wind is the fifth book in the Wind Series by Judy Bruce. Despite being the fifth book in the series, the author provides an adequate backstory for readers to enjoy it as a standalone novel. The story picked up quickly and was easy to get into, with a flow that steadily built-in momentum. The plot was as authentic and exciting as the dialogue was engaging, and the writing was concise. The suspense and plot twists were adequate to keep you guessing, and have you as invested in solving the case as Megan. I loved how the author left hints for the reader to piece together, and I was often able to puzzle out some of the mysterious clues before or as soon as Megan did.

I found myself drawn into Megan's world as she narrates the story from her point of view. The character development and evolution were solid, and the characters felt real and relatable. Megan instantly comes across as a capable, practical, and smart woman. As much as she takes care not to put herself in harm's way, she is not one to shy away from violence when the situation calls for it. Megan was a victim of violence in the past and had had to kill in self-defense. Despite being practical to a fault, she is as compassionate as she is loyal. She is also self-aware enough to recognize her flaws and continually seeks God's guidance in both her personal and professional life.

Another noteworthy aspect of this book was the attention the author gave to Autism Spectrum Disorder. Mitch is the autistic 15-year-old son of the couple involved in the murder-suicide at the beginning of the book. As a parent of a little boy on the autism spectrum, I could relate to the sensitivity, patience, and extra care used to handle Mitch. I appreciate that the author delivered this part of the story in as much detail as possible. It was both touching and refreshing because not a lot of fiction writers take this approach.

On the downside, the book had several editing issues - mainly grammatical and typographical errors. The editing issues did not detract from the overall quality of the story; however, they were significant enough to affect my rating of the book. I award Lies in the Wind 3 out of 4 stars. Judy Bruce delivered a riveting work of fiction, and I look forward to checking out the other books in the series. If you're in the mood for an original, well-written, and action-packed murder-mystery novel, this is the book for you.

Lies in the Wind
View: on Bookshelves
"Destiny struggles to reassert the pattern that was meant to be." ~ Lightning by Dean Koontz :tiphat:
Latest Review: Yona by Deanna Irwin
Ivana Tomaš
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 177
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivana-toma.html
Latest Review: The 13th of Summer by Charlene Pratt

Post by Ivana Tomaš »

The concept of this book is really unusual and it immediately caught my attention. The main character's unusual gift and the crime that accompanies the story seem interesting.
It's great that the book can be read as a standalone.
Thank you for your review!
Miller56
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miller56.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

Post by Miller56 »

Thanks for the review. I thoroughly enjoy mysteries and I appreciate books that are series but make sense as a stand alone version. This looks like a great book to read.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Even with the editing errors, this sounds like one to pick up! I love that the author delves into autism. I wish I had a sense like Megan. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Msred325
Favorite Book: It
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 172

Post by Msred325 »

This review was very well written, in my opinion. It has me interested enough to read the book. I especially like how the reviewer put herself, in the writers shoes, as she admits to also having an Autistic child.
La Cabra
Currently Reading: Jag är Zlatan
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-la-cabra.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by La Cabra »

Sounds like an entertaining read! Not in the mood for crime and mystery right now, but when I do get there, I'd like to check this one out. I don't mind shortcoming in grammar, as a reader the most important things to me are the characters and writing and these sound good enough to intrigue me.
On a side note, this sounds a little similar to Purple Hyacinth which is a fantastic story.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”