Review by DorcasToo -- E-M-P Honeymoon

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
DorcasToo
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 48
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 43
Currently Reading: Call Me Pomeroy
Bookshelf Size: 197
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorcastoo.html
Latest Review: East Wind, 2nd edition by Jack Winnick

Review by DorcasToo -- E-M-P Honeymoon

Post by DorcasToo »

[Following is a volunteer review of "E-M-P Honeymoon" by Dorothy May Mercer.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

E M P Honeymoon: Kelly & Tom by Mercer, Dorothy May; is a well-crafted science fiction. Despite being fictional, the book showcases some really scary facts.

Sgt. Tom Turbulo takes his recently wedded wife, Kelly McBride on a honeymoon to Honduras. One afternoon they are out of their villa exploring and enjoying their surroundings. Tom goes on a dive boat to see the reefs, while Kelly is on an excursion us checking out the island. Stumbling upon what looks like a gift shop she discovers something that could easily cost her life. She narrowly escapes being captured. Colonel Ree Su-jin alias Sue Lynn Reese is a woman on a mission she doesn't even understand. She just wants to please her superiors, no matter the cost. Therefore, she's leading a team of men to Honduras secretly awaiting further instructions and information.

Senator McBride is worried when he gets a phone call from his sister who sounds nervous and scared. His assistant, Cynthia Patterson, who is also his private investigator and bodyguard, is tasked to reach out to Kelly and ensure her safety. She sends out a team of two ladies as they join forces with Steve from CIA and make a discovery that could bring the country to its knees.

The author has written a book about a phenomenon known to very few people: the solar flare and how it can be detrimental to civilisation. She goes into details explaining how the natural and unstoppable flares can cause E M P (Electro-Magnetic Pulse): adding in that it can also be man-made. Apart from that, Dorothy talks about terrorism, love, family, politics among many other themes she brings out. There are so many things she touches on, but it doesn't contrast in fact, it meshes into a beautiful narration that easily captures the reader's attention.

The book is well researched as evident at the end where the sources of information have been thoroughly illustrated. The editing will need a little polishing. However, the negative I need to point out is on Page 64 where the author introduces to us Agatha. She doesn't tell us that her name is shortened to Aggie, and I thought that was another character until later on when I connected the dots. Otherwise, the book has no major shortcomings that could affect the rating.

I rate the book a 4 out of 4 stars. I really enjoyed reading the book. It's standalone, and I would recommend it to all lovers of science fiction.

E-M-P Honeymoon
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
He lays me besides still waters. He prepares a banquet before my enemies.
Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I shall not fear.
For the Lord is my Shepherd
:techie-reference:

AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Great review. I researched solar flares right after I finished reading it.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”