Review by KitabuKizuri -- Aftermath by Charles Williams

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
KitabuKizuri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitabukizuri.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Review by KitabuKizuri -- Aftermath by Charles Williams

Post by KitabuKizuri »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Aftermath" by Charles Williams.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Aftermath; Corruption and Intrigue in Post-Katrina New Orleans is a book written by Charles Williams and published by Outskirts Press. It has three parts and fifty-two short chapters.

Clarence Washington, a New Orleans Baptist minister, seeks to restore and bring healing to residents of his Backuptown neighborhood by sponsoring a residential restoration project following the disaster brought about by Hurricane Katrina. There are a number of people who come out of the woodworks to claim part of the state agency financing, chief among them being Joe Pacello, an accomplished real-estate developer who owes a dangerous character a lot of money. The mayor also wants his cut, alongside many other people below in the ‘foodchain’.

Caught up in this whole debacle is Clint Johnson, a Baltimore banker of note, who has to make everybody happy in spite of having financial problems at home with an autistic daughter and his wife being bi-polar.

The author sets the story in the year 2007, two years after the hurricane hit the city. His storytelling is easy to follow. I found myself engrossed as I read the book, perfect for killing time on a commute in traffic. I recommend it to those who are looking for something entertaining to read that also gives insights into how the world of public finance works. I would caution those averse to strong language and derogatory remarks here and there touching on race and gender. I also don't think it would be good for a young audience.

I liked how the author was able to weave between the good intents of characters like the Church minister and the dark intents of those who wanted to get their hands into the coffers. For instance, typical things that happen in a ministry like the mention of prophecies, optimistic talk that border on delusion, struggles with compromise (paying local hoodlums to provide security), etc, are elaborated in the book. Also, some characters’ backstories like Clint and Pacello are included that help us get a good grasp of their states of mind and where their insecurities come from (in context) as the story unfolds. There wasn’t anything I disliked most about the book.

Aftermath is well edited, well structured and the story just flows. The story is memorable and I’m sure those who are familiar with New Orleans and the events surrounding Hurricane Katrina will relate well with this book. Hopefully, it won’t open old wounds for those who were affected by the event. I think the book deserves a rating of 4 out of 4 stars.

Aftermath
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kulzum
Currently Reading: Still I rise
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kulzum.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Kulzum »

Aftermath; would make an exciting read to fans of fiction while spotlighting the mishandling of public finance. This book may be a work of fiction based on an actual incident, but the issues mentioned are not. Thank you for the intriguing review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”