Review by DC Brown -- E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
DC Brown
2019 Reading Goal: 55
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 89
2018 Reading Goal: 15
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 340
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 169
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dc-brown.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Review by DC Brown -- E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by DC Brown »

[Following is a volunteer review of "E-M-P Honeymoon" by Dorothy May Mercer.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

EMP Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer takes us on a honeymoon in Honduras, but not like any honeymoon you'd ever imagine. Our main character is Kelly. She is the new wife of Carson City Police Sargent Tom Turbulo and sister to Senator Mike McBride. In this tropical paradise, while Tom is cruising on a dive boat, Kelly goes sightseeing. Kelly strays away from the tour group and finds herself in a cute gift shop that turns dangerous. Kelly makes a panicked call to her brother, hanging up abruptly. In trying to find out what is going on, Kelly's brother makes a few calls. Suddenly we know he has many connections in the intelligence community and has an exceptional staff with security training. He sends two of them to the island, all expenses paid. Quickly we have a group of quasi-civilians investigating some extremely dangerous people.

At the same time, in another story-line, foreign agents are being taught to pose as wealthy American tourists along with other skills. After completing this training, they too find themselves in Honduras. They are practicing putting a launch platform together. These are the scary people Kelly had found!

As these two groups start to interact, tension rises, and pages turn faster! Who will win the race against time?! There are a lot of unexpected twists and turns that make the book all the more enjoyable. The book is listed as a romance, but there is a lot of intrigue and action. There is a satisfying depth to the characters. This makes it an excellent book for younger readers — also a beautiful book for mystery lovers and those who appreciate non-violent well-plotted books.

There were a couple of hiccups in the book. In Chapter 4, the CIA Assistant Director is introduced as Jo Rench, but in Chapter 7, he became Jo Reese. Also, in Chapter 4, the senator's aide referred to Kelly as the senator's daughter when she was his sister. This fact is significant because this particular aide has worked for the senator for some time and is his go-to for information. In Chapter 5, the author refers to 'both Turbulo women' when there was only one.

Despite those small hiccups, it was well edited. The story flowed nicely, and there were no side notes or deviations from the plot that would hinder turning pages all night. This book is delightful! It has a meaty story, a variety of exploits, and characters. I give it 4 out of 4 stars. I usually pass on romance novels, but this one was different. I hope to read more of Ms. Mercer's work, remembering that her story-line goes beyond romance and into brain-teasers and excitement!

E-M-P Honeymoon
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by AntonelaMaria »

I would never describe this book as romance so I don't understand why they describe it as such. It is surely an interesting way to spend one's honeymoon. I enjoyed reading your review.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl

justjim
2019 Reading Goal: 45
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 42
Favorite Book: Project Tau
Currently Reading: Trying to Save Piggy Sneed
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justjim.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by justjim »

I'm reading EMP Honeymoon now and am enjoying it so far. I've also noticed a couple of inconsistency's but nothing that really takes away from the story.
"Never memorize something that you can look up." Albert Einstein

DC Brown
2019 Reading Goal: 55
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 89
2018 Reading Goal: 15
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 340
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 169
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dc-brown.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by DC Brown »

AntonelaMaria wrote:
07 Nov 2019, 16:19
I would never describe this book as romance so I don't understand why they describe it as such. It is surely an interesting way to spend one's honeymoon. I enjoyed reading your review.
I feel the same way about the category. I was thinking of a cozy mystery. I don't think that's one of OBCs categories?
Thanks for your comments.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”