Official Review: The Murders on Three Bridges by Kim Ekemar

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: In Time Forever by Stefan Raicu

Official Review: The Murders on Three Bridges by Kim Ekemar

Post by joshfee77 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Murders on Three Bridges" by Kim Ekemar.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Murders on Three Bridges is a locked-room murder mystery by Kim Ekemar. Ricardo Rivas is a detective inspector with the Buenos Aires police department. After his mother dies, Ricardo learns that he was adopted as a baby. Getting his DNA tested, he meets his biological grandmother, Angelina Arriaga. Ricardo changes his surname to Arriaga. Police charge his adoptive father, Fernando Rivas, with falsifying Ricardo's birth certificate. After this stressful time in his life, Ricardo's ex-girlfriend, Carolina, suggests he relax on a cruise around Cape Horn on the Stella Australis. However, on the third day of the cruise, a gunshot rings out on the bridge, a man dies from a bullet to the head, and Ricardo is thrust back into his job as a detective again. With multiple suspects, no witnesses, and the bridge doors all locked from the inside, Ricardo must work out who did it, and how...

I enjoyed the character development for Ricardo in the first chapter, which covered his family background, setting him up for his cruise on the Stella Australis. The other characters were also rich and varied, with enough background information to show them as real people leading real lives. The writing itself was also excellent; Ekemar’s style was easy and conversational, making his prose a pleasure to read. His character descriptions were neat, picking out only a few major characteristics for each person, allowing the reader to picture them easily before moving on with the story.

The Murders on Three Bridges was a genuine mystery. Most of Ricardo’s nine suspects had at least some motive for murder. Ekemar also included plenty of red herrings to keep things interesting. Though I did correctly suspect the killer at one point, I did not yet know their motive or means, and my suspicions later moved on to others. My last guess at the murderer was ultimately incorrect. Another element I liked was how Ekemar left his last few chapters (detailing the murderer, motive, and means) out of the original PDF copy of the book. I had to email the author and supply my own suspicions on these three elements before receiving these chapters.

There were some minor issues, mainly with wording, but these were all fairly subjective. One such phrase was: “he depressed sat on his desk chair,” where I would say: “he sat, depressed, on his desk chair.” Similarly: “There was anyway nothing I could do about it,” where I would place “anyway” at the end of the sentence. One other sentence that was not strictly correct was: “Stella Australis now encountered itself at open sea,” which should be “found itself at open sea,” as a ship, by definition, can’t encounter itself – except, perhaps, in The Twilight Zone...

In summary, The Murders on Three Bridges was a great locked-room murder mystery, rich in interesting characters, presenting a genuine puzzle for readers to solve. I thoroughly enjoyed it; unfortunately, it did have some minor typographical errors and occasional missing words. Therefore, I must award it 3 out of 4 stars. With these errors fixed, it would be a definite 4-star book. Regardless, I would highly recommend it to all fans of crime and mystery. It contained only minor violence, no sex, and – refreshingly – no profanity.

The Murders on Three Bridges
View: on Bookshelves
Rachel Lea
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-lea.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Rachel Lea »

I love a good mystery and I think I would enjoy this book very much. (Also, a "Twilight Zone" episode about a ship encountering itself would be quite intriguing, I think...) Hopefully, another round of editing will get the errors smoothed out. Thanks for your review!
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I don't usually guess right on whodunnits. I haven't read a locked room mystery in a while. Perhaps I should pick this one up. You've made it sound so interesting. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Mrunal Tikekar
Currently Reading: Heartquake
Bookshelf Size: 291
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrunal-tikekar.html
Latest Review: Send Her Back and Other Stories by Munashe Kaseke

Post by Mrunal Tikekar »

Sounds like an interesting murder mystery. I guess with another round of editing the book will become even more enjoyable to read. Nice review!
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

I must say, I kind of expected the author to divide the books into two parts from that description, but I'm glad he didn't. It sounds like the mystery aboard the Australis was enough of a ride that the rest could be inserted here and there, and I hope that was the case. Thanks!
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I like this author's ingenious idea of making you email him to get the final chapters! That is a creative way to get to know your readers' theories. I like this author, and it seems this book is up to par! Great review.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

Rachel Lea wrote: 21 Oct 2019, 14:17 I love a good mystery and I think I would enjoy this book very much. (Also, a "Twilight Zone" episode about a ship encountering itself would be quite intriguing, I think...) Hopefully, another round of editing will get the errors smoothed out. Thanks for your review!
Ekemar definitely knows how to craft an intriguing mystery that really makes you think. And there weren't too many errors - just too many to award the book 4 stars. Thanks!
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

kandscreeley wrote: 21 Oct 2019, 19:46 I don't usually guess right on whodunnits. I haven't read a locked room mystery in a while. Perhaps I should pick this one up. You've made it sound so interesting. Thanks.
Yeah, Ekemar really did a great job of making everyone a convincing suspect out of the 9 people Detective Arriaga narrowed it down to. Thanks!
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

MrunalT wrote: 22 Oct 2019, 03:39 Sounds like an interesting murder mystery. I guess with another round of editing the book will become even more enjoyable to read. Nice review!
Definitely a great read for lovers of mystery in the style of Agatha Christie. Thanks for commenting!
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

Nisha Ward wrote: 22 Oct 2019, 08:15 I must say, I kind of expected the author to divide the books into two parts from that description, but I'm glad he didn't. It sounds like the mystery aboard the Australis was enough of a ride that the rest could be inserted here and there, and I hope that was the case. Thanks!
Yeah, it was only the last few chapters the author withheld, presumably to test the difficulty of discovering the murderer by seeing how many readers guessed it correctly. A really clever idea to engage his readers and simultaneously test his plot. Thanks!
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

kdstrack wrote: 23 Oct 2019, 17:56 I like this author's ingenious idea of making you email him to get the final chapters! That is a creative way to get to know your readers' theories. I like this author, and it seems this book is up to par! Great review.
Yeah, Ekemar is definitely an intelligent and engaging writer. I've read two of his books now and enjoyed them both. Thanks!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”