Review by Don Pwai -- Aftermath by Charles Williams

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Don Pwai
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-don-pwai.html
Latest Review: The Orb by Tara Basi

Review by Don Pwai -- Aftermath by Charles Williams

Post by Don Pwai »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Aftermath" by Charles Williams.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Hurricanes and storms can really be tragic and disastrous. They can cause damages to property worth millions and even result to loss of lives. The novel Aftermath by Charles Williams is a book set in the New Orleans city and uncovers the disastrous effects of Hurricane Katrina that has just hit the city. Buildings and properties worth millions have been destroyed in the storm and many families almost into hundred of thousands have been displaced. There is great suffering in the city and some citizens have been forced to relocate to other areas. The city has been flooded for weeks. Measures are being undertaken to restore the city to its former self. The Congress have passed a legislation providing a massive aid for rebuilding the city’s infrastructure and its real estate. However, given the city’s long history of corruption, there are fears that the money allotted by the congress will not be utilized for the desired purpose. Will the plans of rebuilding the city fall for the trap of corruption?

I loved the themes that the author discusses in this novel. He discusses themes like racism, social discrimination, incompetent politicians and corruption in the public service. The foregoing themes are deeply entrenched in the city of New Orleans. The minority white citizens are thriving whereas the majority black folks are segregated and marginalized. This is partly to blame on the political elites. The book thus create-awareness to the readers on the plight of the black Americans. America is not a safe haven as people have been made to believe and also has its share of societal challenges. This book thus provides the real situation of the American society. It enlightens readers on such issues.

Another aspect of the novel that I fell in love with is the use of suspense and humour in the course of narration. These styles enhanced the taste of the novel. For instance, the use of humour broke the monotony of the narration. Characters like Pacello are just humorous and interesting to read about. I found myself giggling at his crazy ideas from time to time. Additionally, the use of suspense increased my desire to find about the fate of rebuilding the hurricane and storm hit New Orleans society. I was interested in knowing whether the massive aid given by the congress was employed for the rightful purpose or whether it was going to be corrupted just like the prior projects. Learning about the fate of rebuilding New Orleans City increased my desire to read every page of this novel. I wanted to see whether the protagonist Pacello, Clarence and the city Mayor would succeed in that course.

Additionally, I loved the character of persons like Clint. Yes , America is a society that is plagued by corruption and the investigative agencies are doing their best to nail down the corrupt characters. However, Clint who is having family problems and financial issues still refuses to accept a bribe from one of his bank clients to fast-track the borrowing process. He refuses to get caught in the wind of corruption. He represents the faction of society that has refused to be corrupted and still stands by their deals. I was awed by his principles. That was excellent.

Finally, I rate this book at 4 out of 4 stars. I gave it four stars because of its compelling content and it is enlightening on the plight and challenges that exist in the American society. I recommend it to all persons interested in novels that discuss contemporary issues in the society. Its themes are centered on the societal issues. However, persons with no interest in societal matters may look for other novels. This book is exceptionally well edited.

Aftermath
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Latest Review: The Orb by Tara Basi

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”