Official Review: Murder at Hassle High

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Adedayo+23
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 58
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adedayo-23.html
Latest Review: Revenge Served Cold by Bob Ford

Official Review: Murder at Hassle High

Post by Adedayo+23 » 02 Oct 2019, 07:01

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Murder at Hassle High" by Constance Meccarello-Gerson.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Murder at Hassle High by Constance Meccarello-Gerson is a mystery novel that follows the antics of determined teacher Maria Bruno as she attempts to catch a killer in her school while trying to avoid becoming his next victim. After finding the school principal, Mrs. Booth, slumped over a table with a letter opener sticking out of her back, Maria calls the police. The detective in charge of the case turns out to be Joe Viola, Maria’s ex-fiancé. Knowing her background as a former police officer, Viola warns Maria not to investigate the incident. When one of Maria’s students is found stabbed to death, Viola feels compelled to work the case with her as Maria becomes even more determined to find out who is behind the killings. Will Maria uncover the truth before she becomes the next victim? Can she stay focused enough to catch the killer, or will her growing attraction to Detective Viola become a fatal distraction?

The plot premise sounded so good that I jumped at the opportunity to review this book. As much as the book did not live up to my expectations, it was an easy read. The story developed at a fast pace, with enough plot twists to keep you guessing who the real killer was. I admit the author did an excellent job of misdirection. The plot twists were so good that when the killer was eventually revealed, no one saw it coming.

I had a few issues with the book. To begin with, I must point out that the book was submitted for review in an audio format. My first issue was the narration. The author poorly narrated the book, and I could barely get through the story. Mispronounced words and funny intonations or inflections often made it challenging to determine what was said or how some phrases or sentences were meant to be interpreted. This issue alone almost ruined the book for me. Also, you can’t tell the characters apart as they all sounded the same. The narrator did not appear to put in the effort to voice them differently or was unable to do so. A professional narrator would have made a world of difference.

Additionally, in my opinion, Maria’s character was not well-developed. She was supposed to be a respectable, happily married middle-aged teacher with a wry sense of humor. Instead, she came across as a bit petty and somewhat juvenile. With regards to her feelings for and interactions with Detective Viola, Maria especially sounded like a dramatic, petulant teen with a silly schoolgirl crush. The story could have done without her endless swooning, which only served as a constant source of distraction from the story. If this was meant to be funny, it fell short. She regularly referred to his good looks at every opportunity, even in inappropriate situations. It got particularly tiresome to listen to, and I couldn’t stop myself from rolling my eyes at how ridiculous Maria sounded.

These issues notwithstanding, Murder at Hassle High was a good mystery novel. As it was an audiobook, there were no typographical or grammatical errors that I can point to besides what I already mentioned above. This book would be a fun read for mystery genre enthusiasts. I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I am compelled to deduct a star due to the poor narration.

Murder at Hassle High
View: on Bookshelves
"Destiny struggles to reassert the pattern that was meant to be." ~ Lightning by Dean Koontz :tiphat:

Stephanie Elizabeth
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 107
Currently Reading: Skills of the Warramunga
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Sugar & Spice- Catherine Little's story by H. M. Irwing

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth » 03 Oct 2019, 05:10

I am sorry to hear that the characters weren't very well developed, but it does sound like an exciting premise. I hope Maria figures out who is behind it before she has a fatal experience. Thanks for the great review!

Meg98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg98.html
Latest Review: The Surgeon's Wife by William H. Coles

Post by Meg98 » 03 Oct 2019, 09:56

Audiobooks are generally ones I don't go for, so I don't think I would enjoy this. But thank you for this great review! I agree that the premise is exciting and unique.
Oh love, never be afraid to fly :wink2:

Sinclairess
2019 Reading Goal: 25
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 80
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sinclairess.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by Sinclairess » 03 Oct 2019, 10:12

Thank you for your honest review. The title of the book alone made me want to check it out! "Hassle High" is a great name for the school, especially with all the murder that seems to be going on.

I am new the world of audiobooks, so thank you for mentioning that the narration wasn't up to par. This can apparently have a lasting effect on the story itself, like you said. It's too bad that it was difficult to get through the book because of this.
“It's far less important to me to be liked these days than to be understood.” :sad-teareye:
― Lionel Shriver, We Need to Talk About Kevin

Jyockel08
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jyockel08.html
Latest Review: Backcomb & Tattoo by Shea R Embry

Post by Jyockel08 » 03 Oct 2019, 11:44

I think a book can survive almost anything, but not poorly developed characters. Personality in people, whether real or fictional, make a huge difference to me. Thank you for such a great review!

ValerijaJ
Currently Reading: The Reel Sisters
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerijaj.html
Latest Review: Call Me Pomeroy by James Hanna

Post by ValerijaJ » 03 Oct 2019, 15:08

I usually try to avoid audiobooks if they are not professionally narrated.
Thank you for your review!

Rachel Lea
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-lea.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Rachel Lea » 03 Oct 2019, 19:17

This book has an interesting premise but unfortunately seems to fall short in character development. Thanks for your honest review!
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 73
Currently Reading: Sunshine at the Academy
Bookshelf Size: 304
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The E&N Escape by P.N.Holland

Post by kandscreeley » 03 Oct 2019, 19:24

If I'm going to listen to an audiobook, I definitely want it to be narrated well. It's too bad this one isn't as the story sounds quite interesting. Perhaps the author should invest in a professional reader. I might read the book, but I probably won't listen to it. Thanks.
Good books, like good friends, are few and chosen; the more select, the more enjoyable.
-Louisa May Alcott

Miller56
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miller56.html
Latest Review: Hallowed Ground by Cindy Ziperman

Post by Miller56 » 04 Oct 2019, 16:19

Thanks for the review. Although I love a good mystery, I think I will pass on this one.

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 97
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: Skills of the Warramunga
Bookshelf Size: 280
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: Jim in Enemy Territory by Le Lan Anh

Post by kdstrack » 05 Oct 2019, 21:16

I find that audiobooks can be hit and miss with the narrators. It really does affect one's enjoyment of the story. This one might be good to read in hard copy! Thanks for the review.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”