Review by tristenb -- The Easter Make Believers

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
tristenb
Currently Reading: From Drift to SHIFT
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tristenb.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Review by tristenb -- The Easter Make Believers

Post by tristenb »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Easter Make Believers" by Finn Bell.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The town of Lawrence was once a popular destination for gold diggers during the gold rush. Now, long abandoned, just a small, quaint town remains. The streets, which are generally quiet, are filled with flashing red, white, and blue lights after a gunman is seen within the beloved Chen family home. Even though the police tried to stop anything from happening inside, there were two explosions, multiple casualties, and two missing people. Among the missing people, were a well-known gangster and the father of the Chen family, James Chen. Once a well-off family, the Chens have seen their fair deal of tragedy and this seemed to just be one more terrible thing to happen to good people.

In The Easter Make Believers (now called Good Hot Hate), by Finn Bell, police officers Tobe and Nick of the Gang Intelligence Centre and the rest of the police squad try to figure out exactly what happened in Lawrence that night and why many prominent gang members were in the Chen house in the first place. More importantly, they need to locate the missing James Chen and save him from a certain death. The search is long and near impossible, since the search area is large and filled with hundreds of hidden, abandoned gold mines. It becomes even more difficult as a huge snowstorm threatens any chance of finding James Chen dead or alive.

What I believed would be a typical mystery/thriller with a predictable ending, turned out to be quite the opposite. Bell does a great job captivating the reader and holding his or her attention until the very end. What I liked the most was that the plot is full of unexpected twists. I don’t want to give too much away, but in my opinion, the overarching theme of the book is a parent’s love for their children. The book starts with Nicolas beating up his father, who he never knew, in an alley and the theme continues throughout the novel as a linked thread. It makes you think about how circumstances can change someone’s life and how far a parent would or wouldn’t go to protect his or her children.

There wasn’t anything that I particularly disliked about the book. However, if I had to criticize anything it would be the separate chapters related to the storm. While, the chapters do make the reader understand the gravity of the oncoming snowstorm, the separate chapters made the flow of the book a little more choppy than necessary. Instead, I wish that Bell would have found a way to incorporate the seriousness of the storm into the existing chapters relating to Tobe and Nick and also with the missing gangster and James Chen. Overall, this small detail did not take away much from this overall great read.

Finn Bell recently had all his books re-edited, re-titled, and re-covered. The Easter Make Believers is now called Good Hot Hate. The book was very professionally edited. The minimal errors that I noticed consisted of a couple of missing apostrophes and commas, which could have been a stylistic choice. Due to the quality of the writing, minimal errors, and the surprising plot twists, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. You will love this book as much as I did if you enjoy a great mystery/thriller, but you might want to pass if you don’t usually like the genre.

The Easter Make Believers
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

I'm not really into mystery/thrillers; I prefer more fantastical fare. For lovers of the genre, however, this sounds like an exciting foray into the world of detectives and crime. Wonderfully written review!
tristenb

Post by tristenb »

Kelyn wrote: 26 Sep 2019, 15:28 I'm not really into mystery/thrillers; I prefer more fantastical fare. For lovers of the genre, however, this sounds like an exciting foray into the world of detectives and crime. Wonderfully written review!
Thank you! I appreciate that you took the time to read it. I really did enjoy the story.
Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Wyland »

This sounds like an action filled adventure story involving the Chen family. I do hope James Chen is found. Thanks for the wonderful review.
tristenb

Post by tristenb »

Wyland wrote: 02 Oct 2019, 06:52 This sounds like an action filled adventure story involving the Chen family. I do hope James Chen is found. Thanks for the wonderful review.
You'll have to read it to find out, but there's definitely a huge plot twist.
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

I have read and thoroughly enjoyed this book. I did not know that Bell's works have been re-titled. Thanks for the heads-up since it will come useful while recommending these books.
You are absolutely right, this book is anything but predictable. After the last twist, I felt numb for a long time and kept thinking if it was really necessary, if there was no other alternative way. It seemed so unfair, but of course, the theme of the book kind of stresses that life is never fair.
I agree with you on another point. The chapters related to the brewing of storm were chilling in themselves, but their impact on the main storyline seems a bit lacking. Glad that you felt the same way.
Thanks for the awesome and engaging review!
tristenb

Post by tristenb »

Shrabastee wrote: 12 Oct 2019, 02:18 I have read and thoroughly enjoyed this book. I did not know that Bell's works have been re-titled. Thanks for the heads-up since it will come useful while recommending these books.
You are absolutely right, this book is anything but predictable. After the last twist, I felt numb for a long time and kept thinking if it was really necessary, if there was no other alternative way. It seemed so unfair, but of course, the theme of the book kind of stresses that life is never fair.
I agree with you on another point. The chapters related to the brewing of storm were chilling in themselves, but their impact on the main storyline seems a bit lacking. Glad that you felt the same way.
Thanks for the awesome and engaging review!
Thanks for your response! I noticed the books had been retitled when I was looking on Amazon and on the author's website. I agree with you about the twist. I enjoyed the twist, but wish that things could have ended a little differently because it was so sad. You are right that the book stresses that life is not fair. Certainly the Chen family had seen enough tragedy for a lifetime.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”