Review by timd -- House of Eire by June Gillam

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
timd
Favorite Book: The Rim of Space
Currently Reading: Making Monsters
Bookshelf Size: 440
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timd.html
Latest Review: Mobius by Garon Whited

Review by timd -- House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by timd »

[Following is a volunteer review of "House of Eire" by June Gillam.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

House of Eire: A Hillary Broome Novel by June Gillam. This book is a moody and eerie family mystery set in Ireland. With beautiful and detailed descriptions of scenery and historical settings in Ireland, this is also a captivating thriller with shades of the supernatural included in it.

Hillary Broome is a ghost-writer married to a detective called Ed. Because he has to attend a conference in Ireland, they decide to take their daughter along and enjoy a long-overdue honeymoon. Hillary had intended spending her free time exploring some of the history and mysteries of Ireland with her young daughter and her friends.

Unfortunately, her friend Bridget, is involved in a dispute with the sinister leader of a consortium intent on developing a Disneyland park in Galway. He has links to the Irish Mafia and is determined not to allow anyone to stand in his way. It is not long before Hillary and her friend become embroiled in a plot which involves danger and intrigue where their very lives are at stake. Set in an atmospheric and historical background with an element of the supernatural lurking in the background, Hillary finds herself in an exciting adventure which is far removed from the peaceful and leisurely activities which she had envisioned for her holiday

Written in an easy flowing and highly descriptive style, this is an absorbing mystery with plenty of historical details included in the plot. The beauty and historical grandeur of Ireland permeates the story and provides scenic backgrounds which provide colourful and unique settings which add to the feeling of suspense. The author clearly has a detailed knowledge of Ireland and its history which she uses to weave into the story with dramatic affect.

Readers who enjoy a thrilling mystery with plenty of suspense as well as some interesting psychological ruminations of the character will enjoy this book. Although there is a lot of detail included in the plot, there are no explicit scenes of violence or sex. There is also no use of foul language or religious themes which may be controversial for some readers. This is a typical family mystery with a good dose of a slightly supernatural and rich historical background which is thoroughly absorbing.

The characters in this book are all well developed and interesting. In particular, Hillary's daughter stands out as highly entertaining as a young girl who celebrates her seventh birthday in the story. Some of the background characters are somewhat stereotyped as typical Irish characters, although her friend, Bridget, is a remarkable Irish lady with a fiery personality who does not give in to anything easily.

The editing of this book is highly professional and there are no typos or errors in formatting or grammar. This book is very entertaining and there was nothing that I could identify that could detract from its appeal or that I disliked. Readers who enjoy a pleasant and detailed mystery will enjoy this book. However, readers who prefer more sordid and realistic police detective mysteries may find the story somewhat unrealistic or unlikely for their tastes. I have confidently awarded it a rating of 4 stars out of 4.

House of Eire
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Latest Review: Mobius by Garon Whited
AngieM-loves2write
Currently Reading: House of Eire
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by AngieM-loves2write »

That was a beautiful review and your comments and description of the novel make this book one I will definitely read. You lightly brush on the topics, place and descriptions of the characters that make up the story without giving any secrets away. I not only respect that, I am definitely, intrigued enough by your review to begin reading this. Thank you. Peace, Angid

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”