Review by Mbrooks2518 -- Murdered by James Schannep

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Review by Mbrooks2518 -- Murdered by James Schannep

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Murdered" by James Schannep.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

While in Rio de Janeiro for Carnival, you stumble across the body of a murdered woman and come face to face with the possible killer before he flees the scene. After being interviewed by police, you are approached by Diplomatic Security Service Agents Bertram and Danly, who want you to help them investigate as a cooperating witness. Now, make your choices and try to solve the murder. This is the plot of Murdered by James Schannep, which is a Choose Your Own Adventure type of book with three different storylines and 50 different endings.

The characters in this book were well written. This is important in this type of book where the reader is the main character. Agents Bertram and Danly are similar in that they are both committed to their job, but they still have different personalities. Agent Danly is very focused on the case and getting things done, while Agent Bertram is a little more laid back and willing to take the time to have a bit of fun but still takes his job seriously.

My favorite thing about the book was all of the well written, detailed descriptions of Rio de Janeiro, Sao Paulo, rivers and jungles, and other parts of Brazil. These great descriptions helped to immerse me in the story, so I felt like I was in Brazil. This immersion was also helped by the regular use of Portuguese words and the descriptions of food and drinks. With this type of book where the reader is the main character, it’s important that the reader is able to feel like they are there.

My least favorite thing about the book was the moments of romance. They were not necessary and didn’t add anything to the story. Also, depending on the reader’s gender, some readers may even be uncomfortable with them. However, all these scenes are mild, so this is a minor issue.

Unfortunately, this book needs some more editing. I found numerous editing mistakes, although they were all minor errors that did not affect my enjoyment of the book. Most of them were missing or unnecessary commas, and there were two words that were capitalized when they shouldn’t have been.

Overall, this was a fun and engaging book that I am giving 3 out of 4 stars, with 1 star removed because of the errors. I recommend this book to fans of the Choose Your Own Adventure type of stories and anyone that enjoys mystery and adventure books. There was some swearing and a couple of very mild sexual scenes, so this book would not be appropriate for younger readers.

Murdered
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Wanjugush
Favorite Author: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
Favorite Book: Becoming
Currently Reading: Finding A Job in Tough Times
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wanjugush.html
Latest Review: The Barnyard Buddies Meet a Newcomer by Julie Penshorn
fav_author_id: 2734

Post by Wanjugush »

Three different storylines and 50 endings sounds interesting. As much as I don't like Crime books, this one is a must read. Great review.
Ekta Swarnkar
Favorite Book: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-swarnkar.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Ekta Swarnkar »

It sounds really interesting, first, the reader is the main character, second, it has 50 different endings. Well, I really hope I get the chance to read it once. Wonderful review!
You live your dreams in the characters of the books you read. :techie-studyingbrown:
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Like you, it's not really my thing when romance elements are just added for its own sake - I don't think it value-adds much to the story. Hopefully, the author will take your suggestions. Thanks for the insightful review!
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I have been wanting to solve this case for a while now. I wish I'll have the pleasure of playing Miss Marple soon.
Aniza Butt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aniza-butt.html
Latest Review: Aurona by BB Prescott

Post by Aniza Butt »

50 different endings! That would be interesting. I read crime fiction and I think I would love this one too.
Thanks for the review :tiphat:
"Fine...Make your villain."
`Darkling`
Latest Review: Aurona by BB Prescott
Corina Elena
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corinaelena.html
Latest Review: Guilt by David Taylor Black

Post by Corina Elena »

I already wrote this one down for the next time I am stuck in an airport. It sounds incredibly entertaining! Great review!
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I enjoyed your description of this book and especially appreciated your comments on the romance sections that are included in the story. I liked your explanation of how the author included the vivid descriptions of all-things Portuguese and Brazilian. This looks interesting. Thanks for the recommendation!
unamilagra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

I always loved choose your own adventure books when I was a kid. This sounds like a fun read, especially since the author did a great job with setting the scene so you feel like you're in the story. Great review!
inaramid
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

Never tried a "choose your own adventure" type book, but this sounds fun. I agree the romance bits might be unnecessary. Thanks for this review!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

This book intrigues me as I have not read any of the Choose Your Own Adventures books, but I think they would be fun to read. Thanks for a great review!
Areej Tahir
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-areej-tahir.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by Areej Tahir »

this book sounds promising and the plot seems alluring! I loved how you framed review!
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

Wanjugush wrote: 07 Sep 2019, 09:42 Three different storylines and 50 endings sounds interesting. As much as I don't like Crime books, this one is a must read. Great review.
Ekta Swarnkar wrote: 07 Sep 2019, 11:24 It sounds really interesting, first, the reader is the main character, second, it has 50 different endings. Well, I really hope I get the chance to read it once. Wonderful review!
Miriam Molina wrote: 07 Sep 2019, 18:26 I have been wanting to solve this case for a while now. I wish I'll have the pleasure of playing Miss Marple soon.
Thanks for reading and commenting! And I hope you all are able to read it soon.
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

gen_g wrote: 07 Sep 2019, 12:43 Like you, it's not really my thing when romance elements are just added for its own sake - I don't think it value-adds much to the story. Hopefully, the author will take your suggestions. Thanks for the insightful review!
Aniza Butt wrote: 07 Sep 2019, 22:28 50 different endings! That would be interesting. I read crime fiction and I think I would love this one too.
Thanks for the review :tiphat:
corinaelena wrote: 08 Sep 2019, 09:41 I already wrote this one down for the next time I am stuck in an airport. It sounds incredibly entertaining! Great review!
kdstrack wrote: 08 Sep 2019, 11:17 I enjoyed your description of this book and especially appreciated your comments on the romance sections that are included in the story. I liked your explanation of how the author included the vivid descriptions of all-things Portuguese and Brazilian. This looks interesting. Thanks for the recommendation!
Thanks for reading and commenting!
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

unamilagra wrote: 08 Sep 2019, 19:36 I always loved choose your own adventure books when I was a kid. This sounds like a fun read, especially since the author did a great job with setting the scene so you feel like you're in the story. Great review!
Areej Tahir wrote: 12 Sep 2019, 05:07 this book sounds promising and the plot seems alluring! I loved how you framed review!
Prisallen wrote: 11 Sep 2019, 11:18 This book intrigues me as I have not read any of the Choose Your Own Adventures books, but I think they would be fun to read. Thanks for a great review!
inaramid wrote: 10 Sep 2019, 04:55 Never tried a "choose your own adventure" type book, but this sounds fun. I agree the romance bits might be unnecessary. Thanks for this review!
Thanks for reading and commenting!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”