Official Review: East Wind, 2nd edition by Jack Winnick

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: East Wind, 2nd edition by Jack Winnick

Post by Cristina Chifane »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "East Wind, 2nd edition" by Jack Winnick.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Uri Levin (41) is one of the few members of the Metsada, the Special Operations arm of the Israeli Mossad. FBI’s “Golden Girl”, Lara Edmond (31), speaks fluent Arabic and is a computer whiz in charge of primary electronic terrorism traffic. Under the imminent threat of nuclear bombing from Hezbollah operatives on U.S. soil, the two agents join hands to thwart the terrorists’ plans to put an end to U.S. support for the Zionist State.

At the early age of 16, Walid Jahangiri falls under the mesmerizing influence of Sheikh Hassan Nasrallah, the leader of the Hezbollah, the armed “Party of God”. After finishing college in Pakistan, he immigrates to America where he gets his Master’s Degree in Computer Sciences and settles in Los Angeles with his girlfriend Sarah. For years indoctrinated by Hezbollah, Walid opens his eyes to another version of the truth about Western culture. What will he choose when summoned to carry the small fission bomb put together by Hossein Souriani from Iran? Will Walid remain faithful to his original beliefs or will he change sides and help Uri and Lara in their efforts to save innocent lives?

In the desert, the East Wind brings dust, plague, and famine. In Jack Winnick’s espionage thriller, the East Wind brings life-and-death situations and a countdown race to stop the terrorist ploy that could eventually force the Israelis to unleash “Ekdikeo”, a wholesale nuclear attack on the main hostile capitals of its antagonistic neighbors. The 266-page novel has all it needs to make for an exciting read. Tension builds up gradually towards a climactic confrontation in the final chapters.

From my point of view, there are two main things that save this book from the otherwise predictable intrigue of a typical spy novel. Firstly, the author does a great job of switching the narrative perspective from one character to another, no matter if they belong to the defenders of justice or to those who threaten with chaos and destruction. Secondly, the characters have great background stories that make them quite realistic and help the readers understand the reasons behind their actions. What I liked most were precisely those moments when there was such a respite in the plot development. For example, Uri and Lara often exchange both personal and secret intelligence stories that do not only bring them closer, but also give the readers the chance to get to know them better.

Doing justice to its genre, East Wind by Jack Winnick would certainly be a good read for those who enjoy thrillers based on terrorist threats, the joint action of government forces, high-level treason, and a budding romance amidst all the impending tragedy. Apart from a chilling scene during Uri’s mission in Lebanon, there are no other graphic scenes in the novel. Similarly, the characters do not use offensive language and there is only one erotic scene that is not extremely detailed. The editing errors are reduced to a handful of mostly punctuation mistakes. All things considered, I am giving this novel 4 out of 4 stars. It ultimately got me interested enough to be willing to follow Lara and Uri’s future adventures in the sequel, Devil Among Us.

East Wind, 2nd edition
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Fazzier
Currently Reading: Secondary Break
Bookshelf Size: 547
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fazzier.html
Latest Review: Planning for a Better, Greener Future by Peter Nelson

Post by Fazzier »

I think the author has done a great job in putting this together, as confirmed by switching the narrative perspective from one character to another and great background to the characters. Since I'm a fan of thrillers of any kind, I'm looking forward to reading this. Thanks for sharing!
Cristina Chifane
Currently Reading:

Fazzier wrote: 04 Sep 2019, 01:25 I think the author has done a great job in putting this together, as confirmed by switching the narrative perspective from one character to another and great background to the characters. Since I'm a fan of thrillers of any kind, I'm looking forward to reading this. Thanks for sharing!
Thanks. I like it when an author manages to tackle different facets of a story and make us realize the truth is never a one-way street.
LauraLeeWasHere
Favorite Author: Jess Lederman
Favorite Book: David Copperfield
Currently Reading: Relentless
Bookshelf Size: 182
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lauraleewashere.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer
fav_author_id: 164792

Post by LauraLeeWasHere »

So many spy thrillers might be tension filled but if you just look a little deeper it's actually same old, same old. Thank you for diving down deep, and making sure we know what makes this one different and intriguing. The better and bigger the "picture" you give us the better we can judge what book will be good for our particular tastes. Thanks for the extra effort!
Sincerely, Laura-Lee
And they sang a new song saying,
"You are worthy to take the book,
and to open its to seals,
for You were slain and have redeemed us to God,
by your blood, out of every tribe and tongue and people and Nation." Rev. 5:9
NKJ & KJV
Cristina Chifane
Currently Reading:

LauraLeeWasHere wrote: 04 Sep 2019, 06:04 So many spy thrillers might be tension filled but if you just look a little deeper it's actually same old, same old. Thank you for diving down deep, and making sure we know what makes this one different and intriguing. The better and bigger the "picture" you give us the better we can judge what book will be good for our particular tastes. Thanks for the extra effort!
Sincerely, Laura-Lee
Thanks. Sometimes, we simply love to read a book from a genre we're accustomed with because it feels relaxing and comforting. However, we also like to be challenged, that's why it's nice to see an author trying something different and adding his personal touch to the story.
Kathleen Wolfe
Favorite Book: The Hour Game
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kathleen-wolfe.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Kathleen Wolfe »

This does sound interesting. I like that the characters background stories are included, it gives the reader more to go by. Thank you for an interesting review!
Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Wyland »

I am always intrigued by the going on in Israel and its neighboring states. I would like to read this one for more clarity. Thanks for the insightful review.
Rachel Lea
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-lea.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Rachel Lea »

Sounds like an awesome read! The excerpt was very well-written. Thank you for your review!
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is a fictional thriller novel full of action, espionage, and mystery while emphasising teamwork and trust. The book has a free sample on Amazon Kindle and has a well-written OnlineBookClub review. I rated it 3 out of 4 stars on OBC. Congrats
@jwinnick1
on the BOTD.
Scarlet Nicoll
Currently Reading: Churchill's Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare
Bookshelf Size: 216
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scarlet-nicoll.html
Latest Review: The Undying Queen of Ur by Abraham Kawa & Arahom Radjah

Post by Scarlet Nicoll »

Is it me, or do I find the title written in form of an Indian text except written in English? Thank you!
Elizabeth Pass
Favorite Book: Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1)
Currently Reading: Reign
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bb587.html
Latest Review: COVIDinners by Katie M Zeigler

Post by Elizabeth Pass »

This spy novel includes different agencies and a terrorist threat. I generally don't enjoy this genre but it seems well done.
kali09
Favorite Book: The Poppy War
Currently Reading: Ten Directions
Bookshelf Size: 32

Post by kali09 »

Interesting. I'm not usually one to read a novel about terrorists and spies, but the fact that this one switches between multiple points of view and has more plot points than "oh no, someone is going to end the world" sounds intriguing. Plus it sounds like the characters are well fleshed out. Great review!
ccundall2130
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Nora Roberts
Currently Reading: Atonement to a Greater God
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ccundall2130.html
Latest Review: Should I" Go Walkabout" in Australia by John Timms
fav_author_id: 3258

Post by ccundall2130 »

This book definitely sounds interesting and starts out that way. There are so many spy thrillers out there that I was worried about how this one develops. It sounds like a good read!
Erin Painter Baker
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Luke and Luka: Genius Kid Heroes by A.D. Largie

Post by Erin Painter Baker »

I don't read books like this, though I do watch movies like this, and it sounds like I would enjoy the movie made of this story. You always know the author has done their job when you want to pick up another book by them, especially if it is a sequel to the one you just finished reading.
rhaljamii
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by rhaljamii »

This is definitely a perfect book for those who get triggered by actions and suspense,am sure liking it too, as I don't have choices of book I read,I read all that comes my way
Great review I must say👍

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”