Official Review: The Purple Cadillac's of the Pink Lizard

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Shakespeare and Jung: The God in Time by James Driscoll

Official Review: The Purple Cadillac's of the Pink Lizard

Post by mmm17 » 29 Aug 2019, 08:14

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Purple Cadillac's of the Pink Lizard" by DR Novielli.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Marv drives a vintage car – a 1956 Cadillac – and is involved with a clandestine group of ex-military mercenaries led by his former commander. The Pink Lizard is a bar that serves as a front for a “nefarious business of providing mercenaries to those that could afford to hire them.” Saunders Pearson, the mercenary who owns the bar, is a hardliner “who had closed off his heart, denying himself of ever having a relationship longer than a one-night stand.” Surprisingly, the members of this group become the good guys when a multibillion-dollar corporation decides to buy most of the town to dig up the land. Why would they be doing this? Can this gang of mercenaries find out? Above all, could they stop the greedy outsiders from ruining their town?

In The Purple Cadillac’s of the Pink Lizard, written by DR Novielli, readers follow the unveiling of “a mystery that had traversed hundreds of years.” The protagonists are up against Baldric Geovanni, a billionaire who believes that a rare mineral and a fabled blue flower could be the miracle cure for his father’s Alzheimer’s disease. Baldric intends to wreak havoc on the town to unearth these elements, which were buried there long ago.

This book was a pleasant surprise. I was positively impressed with the author’s mode of expression. He is an outstanding storyteller, and his prose is well crafted. I particularly liked the description of characters and settings. I could vividly picture the decadent ambiance of the bar and the mercenaries’ demeanor. The dialogues are also well worded and witty. Furthermore, the author manages to create and maintain a good deal of suspense throughout the story, and this kept me hooked.

Additionally, I appreciated the novel’s female characters. I thought that Petal and Jessie got well developed by Novielli in the book; their romances with Marv and Pearson (respectively) get nicely woven into the plot. Veronica Dontino, Pearson’s ex-wife, is also a multi-dimensional character. Pearson and Veronica’s banter made me laugh.

Overall, this was a fast and entertaining read, and I think it would make a good movie. Unfortunately, there were numerous spelling, punctuation, and grammatical mistakes that detracted from the book’s overall quality and appeal. The deficient editing was the only aspect I disliked, and for this reason, I am taking a star away from the rating. Therefore, I give this novel 3 out of 4 stars. I would recommend it to readers who are fond of action thrillers. However, be advised that it does contain some non-borderline profanity.

The Purple Cadillac's of the Pink Lizard
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

reneelu1998
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 122
Favorite Book: The Outsiders
Currently Reading: The Great Dune Trilogy
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reneelu1998.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by reneelu1998 » 31 Aug 2019, 13:57

Yay! I am so excited to hear about a book with well-developed female characters. That's cool that you could imagine it as a movie. Thanks for the well-written review!

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 67
Currently Reading: Sunshine at the Academy
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Hidden Pearl by J.E. Laufer

Post by kandscreeley » 31 Aug 2019, 18:26

This sounds like an odd premise for the novel. Luckily, from your review, it sounds like it works. I do enjoy books that feature action, so I might have to look into this one more. Thanks.
Good books, like good friends, are few and chosen; the more select, the more enjoyable.
-Louisa May Alcott

Meg98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg98.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by Meg98 » 31 Aug 2019, 20:49

This sounds like a very promising book with a lot of good elements. It is a shame about the editing... it really can detract from a good read. Thanks for this great review!
Oh love, never be afraid to fly :wink2:

mmm17
Currently Reading:

Post by mmm17 » 01 Sep 2019, 08:36

reneelu1998 wrote:
31 Aug 2019, 13:57
Yay! I am so excited to hear about a book with well-developed female characters. That's cool that you could imagine it as a movie. Thanks for the well-written review!
I also like it when a book has good female characters. Thank you for reading!

mmm17
Currently Reading:

Post by mmm17 » 01 Sep 2019, 08:38

kandscreeley wrote:
31 Aug 2019, 18:26
This sounds like an odd premise for the novel. Luckily, from your review, it sounds like it works. I do enjoy books that feature action, so I might have to look into this one more. Thanks.
Very odd premise! I was skeptical at first, too. Thanks for reading!

mmm17
Currently Reading:

Post by mmm17 » 01 Sep 2019, 11:31

Meg98 wrote:
31 Aug 2019, 20:49
This sounds like a very promising book with a lot of good elements. It is a shame about the editing... it really can detract from a good read. Thanks for this great review!
Thanks for commenting!

Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 259
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: It's All About Something by Alexander A. Villarasa, M.D.

Post by Cecilia_L » 02 Sep 2019, 17:41

It's refreshing to see multidimensional female characters. Hopefully, the editing issues will be addressed. Thanks for the interesting review.

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 87
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: The Last Bush Pilots
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: The Shelf by David K. DeRemer

Post by kdstrack » 03 Sep 2019, 20:13

What a unique title and name for a bar! The search for a mineral and a flower to heal Alzheimer's adds a unique twist to the story! This looks intriguing. Thanks!

Wanjugush
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 22
Favorite Author: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
Favorite Book: Becoming
Currently Reading: Finding A Job in Tough Times
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wanjugush.html
Latest Review: The Barnyard Buddies Meet a Newcomer by Julie Penshorn
fav_author_id: 2734

Post by Wanjugush » 05 Sep 2019, 12:33

This is a beautiful book going by your review. It's sad that it has some grammatical and spelling errors.

Kathleen Wolfe
Favorite Book: The Hour Game
Currently Reading: Dark Water
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kathleen-wolfe.html
Latest Review: Arsenic and Old Men by Glenn Ickler

Post by Kathleen Wolfe » 07 Sep 2019, 00:31

I think this would be an interesting read. Going by your review, it sounds like my cup of tea. However I was disappointed to read about the errors and I hope they send it through another round of editing. Thanks for the recommendation!

sursangeet_2000
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sursangeet-2000.html
Latest Review: Geraldine by Edmund M Aristone

Post by sursangeet_2000 » 12 Sep 2019, 08:53

I absolutely love it when female characters have a well defined role in a book. The story seems pretty interesting despite the editorial errors that you mention. I will check it out for sure. Thank you for a wonderful review!!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”