Official Review: Lily Torrence by Fred Andersen

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jsovermyer
Favorite Book: Appaloosa Sky
Currently Reading: The Pocket Guide to Minimalism
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsovermyer.html
Latest Review: Solomon’s Porch by Janet Morris Grimes

Official Review: Lily Torrence by Fred Andersen

Post by Jsovermyer »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Lily Torrence" by Fred Andersen.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Lily Torrence, by Fred Andersen, is a captivating murder mystery in the classic Hollywood noir style. The story is told by Lyman Wilbur, a meek, mousey writer of gritty detective novels. His latest book is to be made into a movie at Colosseum Studios, and he is hired to be an assistant screenwriter. Meeting the big Hollywood stars has been his dream, but he soon learns everyone is concealing secrets, affairs, and indiscretions. When a shooting occurs, there are many suspects. Everyone seems to hate the victim and have a reason to wish him dead. Lyman decides to initiate his own investigation. Can Lyman uncover the mystery without getting himself killed?

Author Fred Andersen has created a bevy of memorable characters. They include the Hollywood starlet with the career-ending secret, the unfaithful playboy screenwriter, the chorus girl who would do anything to get that part, and the corrupt agent with ties to the Mafia. The main character, Lyman Wilbur, is very well-developed and sympathetic. He starts the story as a mild man, a loving husband, and a hard-working writer. Surrounded by the Hollywood crowd, he starts to lose himself, giving in to the temptations on the movie set. Lyman is a realistic character, complete with both good and bad qualities.

The title character, Lily Torrence, is shown on the book cover admiring herself in the mirror. She is a girl from the streets and was born Lily Torres. She dyes her hair blond and moves to Los Angeles. People have constantly told her she was beautiful, and she is determined to use her looks to become a star. She works hard as a dancer in the chorus and dreams of making it big. She is willing to use anyone and do almost anything to get that break. Will her desire for fame get her into trouble?

The world of Hollywood and Los Angeles in the 1940s is described effectively in this story. You feel as if you have gone back in time. The clothing and cars are described in detail. The author is, moreover, a talented wordsmith. He used some humorous expressions popular at that time, such as “hobbledehoy” which means an awkward youth and “snoozling” which means to cuddle. This book is filled with mystery, intrigue and a touch of humor. I was impressed with the writer’s style and character development. I enjoyed discovering the character’s secrets and following the numerous twists of the story.

Fans of mystery and detective novels will love this one. Also, readers who enjoy Hollywood glamour and the noir style are in for a treat. This book contains several brief sexual scenes, including rape and a homosexual encounter. It additionally has some intense profanity. This book should be for adults only. It was very well-edited, and I found only a few misspellings that in no way hindered my enjoyment. I am giving Lily Torrence, by Fred Andersen, 4 out of 4 stars. This is an excellent book, and I heartily recommend it.

Lily Torrence
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ngozi Onyibor
Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading: The Wizard of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ngozi-onyibor.html
Latest Review: The Man In the cafe by Michael J Pilkington

Post by Ngozi Onyibor »

I like mystery novels, and this one seems character-driven as well. I will definitely check it out. Thanks for the review.
Rachel Lea
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-lea.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Rachel Lea »

This sounds like a well-written book with an intriguing plot, but I think I would find some of the violent content disturbing so I will pass on this one. Thanks for your review!
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:
Meg98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg98.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by Meg98 »

I like the premise of this book, and I also appreciate the fact it has good editing. That is always a good sign of a conscientious author. Thanks for this great review!
Oh love, never be afraid to fly :wink2:
Jsovermyer

Post by Jsovermyer »

Rachel Lea wrote: 28 Aug 2019, 15:22 This sounds like a well-written book with an intriguing plot, but I think I would find some of the violent content disturbing so I will pass on this one. Thanks for your review!
The violence and sex isn't too graphic. It's handled very tastefully and a lot is implied rather than actually shown.
Jsovermyer

Post by Jsovermyer »

Meg98 wrote: 30 Aug 2019, 00:01 I like the premise of this book, and I also appreciate the fact it has good editing. That is always a good sign of a conscientious author. Thanks for this great review!
Thanks for your kind words. It's a very good story. I think you would enjoy it.
Jsovermyer

Post by Jsovermyer »

Michelle Fred wrote: 28 Aug 2019, 08:54 I like mystery novels, and this one seems character-driven as well. I will definitely check it out. Thanks for the review.
The characters are very well developed and honestly portrayed. Thanks for reading my review.
ReneeBrown
Favorite Book: The Outsiders
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reneelu1998.html
Latest Review: the brave and the wicked by Brandon clarke
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by ReneeBrown »

The time and setting of this book sound like a great backdrop for a mystery. I think I might have to check this one out. Thanks for the well-written review!
Laila Hashem
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laila-hashem.html
Latest Review: How to be a SuperStar Salesperson by Audri White

Post by Laila Hashem »

I have never been fond of crime and mystery novels, but this one's plotline seems very intriguing. Thanks for the great review!
Neha++
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading: The Billionaires’ Handbook
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-neha.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Neha++ »

Mystery novels are surely interesting but by reading this review, I will say that this book stands alone for its storyline. Thank you for your review
Sara noor
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sara noor »

The way in which story is written is just like...imagening the whole scene infront of our eyes....as we proceed in story reading the curosity exceedes further..
Jsovermyer

Post by Jsovermyer »

reneelu1998 wrote: 01 Sep 2019, 19:08 The time and setting of this book sound like a great backdrop for a mystery. I think I might have to check this one out. Thanks for the well-written review!
I loved the Old Hollywood setting. It was an excellent book.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”