Review by allbooked+ -- Murdered by James Schannep

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
allbooked+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allbooked.html
Latest Review: A Bonza Life by Brian murphy

Review by allbooked+ -- Murdered by James Schannep

Post by allbooked+ »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Murdered" by James Schannep.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

While on holiday in a foreign country you stumble upon a murder scene just as the possible murderer is exiting. As the only witness, do you help investigate with local authorities, or do you continue your holiday with friends? The choice is yours, and your choice determines where this book takes you! Murdered by James Schannep is book 2 of the Click Your Poison series. The books in this series are written independent of each other which means you do not need to have read book 1 to enjoy later editions.

This book has three different storylines with over 50 possible endings. After reading the first chapter you are given two choices of action. You click on your choice and your personal adventure begins. At the end of each short chapter, you make another choice between two or three actions. The first time I read through this book, my choices had me reach a conclusion in three chapters. That chapter stated that even though my story was complete, if I wished to restart, I could go back to the last chapter and make a different choice. My second read through was much longer (I intentionally chose more dangerous paths) and I was again able to solve the crime, but it still said that if I was unhappy with my result I could restart. I chose to begin again a third time resulting in a different conclusion at the end. I came to a final chapter titled SOLVED. The chapter stated ‘That’s it! You’ve won!’. The paths that I took involved two of the three storylines, and only three of 50 possible endings. There is a lot more to explore in this book!

I enjoyed the unique style of this book. It was fun to play with my choices and either go with a safe option or one that was a little more dangerous. Sometimes you were not able to tell which was the better option. Jumping around with the choices also presented what I disliked about this book. I read the book on my Kindle and I often look at where I am percentage wise in a book to see how much farther there is to read. Since this book does not flow linear, I would jump from 8% to 68% to 18% and then back to 35%. I sometimes felt like I was not making progress because of this! I finally stopped looking at this and it flowed better for me.

This book is for anyone, ages teen through adult, that enjoys a light crime drama. Of the two storylines that I read, there were no cursing or sexual scenes that readers need to be aware of. There was a drug cartel link, but it was minimal.

I rate this book a 4 out of 4 because of the originality, style, and fun nature of the reading experience. I did not find any grammar problems in the chapters that I read so I do feel that it was professionally edited.

Murdered
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Erin Dydek
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Post by Erin Dydek »

I would definitely have a lot of fun with this book, but I’d probably want the paperback copy so I didn’t have to deal with the Kindle app (I think I’d have the same issue you did). The other problem for me would be the fact that I’d have to figure out how to get to each ending...I could be lost in a book like this for a long time lol.
allbooked+
Currently Reading:

Post by allbooked+ »

Everydayadventure15 wrote: 27 Aug 2019, 19:29 I would definitely have a lot of fun with this book, but I’d probably want the paperback copy so I didn’t have to deal with the Kindle app (I think I’d have the same issue you did). The other problem for me would be the fact that I’d have to figure out how to get to each ending...I could be lost in a book like this for a long time lol.
I think the paperback would be fun because you could actually mark which chapters you have been too! That way you would know if you have more stones to turn so to speak. Thanks for visiting!
tristenb
Currently Reading: From Drift to SHIFT
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tristenb.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by tristenb »

As a kid, I always loved this type of book. The premise of the story seems interesting. I think as a kid, I tried a few different versions of the story and then just read some parts of the story I hadn't read previously and fill in the blanks. I think I would have to do it now too. Thanks for the review!
Sophy Chunge
Currently Reading: The Touch
Bookshelf Size: 484
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-centfie.html
Latest Review: Three loves and other stories by Lata Gullapalli

Post by Sophy Chunge »

Looks like a fun book to read and exciting too. It looks like it well deserves the perfect rating you gave it
“If you don't have time to read, you don't have the time (or the tools) to write. Simple as that.” Stephen King
nooregano
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nooregano.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Dirtbag waitress by Alice Auditore

Post by nooregano »

Ahh, this is like those Goosebumps books you would read as a kid! I'm glad you enjoyed it so much, allbooked+. I'm sure I would have, too! Thank you for this review!
"I speak only one language, and it is not my own." - Jacques Derrida
allbooked+
Currently Reading:

Post by allbooked+ »

tristenb wrote: 05 Nov 2019, 16:17 As a kid, I always loved this type of book. The premise of the story seems interesting. I think as a kid, I tried a few different versions of the story and then just read some parts of the story I hadn't read previously and fill in the blanks. I think I would have to do it now too. Thanks for the review!
Your comment highlights why I would prefer the actual book as opposed to the kindle version! Thank you for stopping by!
allbooked+
Currently Reading:

Post by allbooked+ »

centfie wrote: 13 Nov 2019, 08:46 Looks like a fun book to read and exciting too. It looks like it well deserves the perfect rating you gave it
Thank you for stopping by! :tiphat:
allbooked+
Currently Reading:

Post by allbooked+ »

nooregano wrote: 03 Jan 2020, 07:39 Ahh, this is like those Goosebumps books you would read as a kid! I'm glad you enjoyed it so much, allbooked+. I'm sure I would have, too! Thank you for this review!
Yes - like those! Thanks for stopping by. :D

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”