Review by Marta013 -- The Lost Identity Casualties

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Marta013
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marta013.html
Latest Review: The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles

Review by Marta013 -- The Lost Identity Casualties

Post by Marta013 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Lost Identity Casualties" by Kim Ekemar.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar is the first book from The Callaghan Septology.
The story is told by a man, when readers meet him, he has just woken up from a seven days long coma. He has bandages all over his head and his hands, which are also strapped to a bed. He has no memory of his life before the coma. He does not recall his name. He tries to ask the doctors and the nurses what happened to him but they seem to be worried about his reaction, so they tell him half-truths only. After a while he is informed why he has been in the coma. He had been kidnapped.

As the time goes on, he feels a lot stronger and he is trying to remember anything from his past. After a while he starts to remember some things, fragments of his life. We learn that he is 35 years old, his name is Matthias Callaghan, he is a successful businessmen. As it turns out he had a face transplant beacuse of confusion of identities. He decides to take revenge on people who put him in this place.

For me, what I really liked in this book is that it is written almost like a diary. Before each fragment there is a date. Of course the dates aren't chronological because the main character stars to remember certain pieces not the whole picture. But it adds something different to this book.
The way he tells his story is also great. His narration is light and there are some moments where he talks directly to the reader which are something ingenious and pleasant. These moments cause that he can easily connect with the reader.
One of the things standing out is definately the plot and its twists. The plot itself is a unique one but there are some surprising and unbelievable twists in this story line. They make this book only more worth reading and entertaining.

I didn't like the fact that Matthias turned out to be so vengeful and spiteful. The people who did all these horrible this to him deserved punishment for sure. But he lacked a bit of empathy. In my mind that made him cold-hearted. Wich is not a trait that the main character should have.

I would rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I didn't give it 4 because of not empathetic main character.It was surely a very interesting and captivating story. I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys complex, psychological thrillers, books filled up with action and plot twists. The book is also very well edited.

The Lost Identity Casualties
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”