Official Review: The Shaft by Scott B Delaney

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Prisallen
2019 Reading Goal: 104
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 51
Favorite Book: The Unbound Soul
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: The 36 Watchers, by Dan Bar Hava

Official Review: The Shaft by Scott B Delaney

Post by Prisallen » 08 Aug 2019, 15:51

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Shaft" by Scott B Delaney.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Spearheaded by a contemporary religious movement named the Call, possibly the biggest Christian recruitment ever seen is occurring. Young people are rushing to join in droves, and political leaders are taking notice. Not everyone is thrilled because of the movement’s religious stance against partial-birth abortion, same-sex marriage, embryonic stem-cell research, regenerative medicine, and therapeutic cloning.

Pharmaceutical companies have a lot to lose if the Call gains more momentum. Therefore, a secret society hired an assassin named Nicolai Virshenko (Niki) to eliminate the leaders of the movement. They are led by a man who calls himself Prometheus. Fear is almost palpable as more leaders and one entire family are executed; however, the Call continues to grow.

Andrew Morrison and his family, as well as his friend Trevor Haas, have been chosen as the next targets. Unknown to them, God has sent several heavenly spirits to watch over Andrew and his family.

Prometheus has decided to try a different technique to halt the movement since their methods are failing at this point. Hence, Niki is to kidnap Andrew and his family and force him to discontinue his involvement in the Call. If that doesn’t work, then they will be slain. Niki comes for them, and Andrew is kidnapped. Thankfully, his family has already been sent to safer quarters, and they remain free for now.

Can Andrew get free? Will his family remain safe? How can they take down this group of murderers?

The Shaft was written by Scott B. Delaney, who believes in God and the struggle between good and evil. He says, “I remain confident there is a power beyond our understanding at work every day on this planet.” At 322 pages, the book is broken up into 79 chapters with a prologue. The author’s writing is descriptive and easy to understand. The story is told in third person unless it concerns Andrew; at that time, it is told from his viewpoint. A newspaper article informing of the murders and the response from the leaders of the movement is in the prologue. Following that, the author gives us a background on Niki, Andrew, and Trevor. Then, the action picks up as Andrew is kidnapped, and the assassin’s search begins for his family. A thrilling roller-coaster ride ensues, which makes the book difficult to put down. The suspense is my favorite aspect of the book.

The leading characters are well developed. Andrew and Trevor are both likable and relatable. Andrew is a man who believes in God and has faith but is frightened for himself and his family. Despite his fears, he will put himself in harm’s way to protect his family and the church. Trevor also is a man of faith and endangers his life for his beliefs. Niki, the assassin, is evil personified. He does not seem to have a conscience, and even the people who hired him grow to fear him. He cherishes the thrill of killing as well as the money it provides.

I feel the beginning is a little too slow and includes very little dialogue, which represents my least favorite aspect of the book. The author uses that time to provide the reader with the background and describe the protagonist, antagonist, and the setting. I love that the characters and settings are well described. However, I prefer they be worked into the story, along with some dialogue, rather than utilizing the first few chapters for this purpose. The novel is quite suspenseful once you get past those chapters. Therefore, as this is just my own preference, it does not warrant subtracting a star from the rating.

This book was probably professionally edited as only three errors were found throughout the entire story.

I genuinely loved reading The Shaft as it was exciting and well written. Therefore, it receives a rating of 4 out of 4 stars.

Readers who like thrillers and crime dramas will appreciate this book if they don’t mind a little supernatural undertone mixed in. People of Christian faith will also likely enjoy it. Those who are not Christians might want to avoid it. No cursing or sex is encountered in the book; however, because of the violence, I think it is unsuitable for small children.

The Shaft
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Michelle Fred
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-fred.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins

Post by Michelle Fred » 10 Aug 2019, 06:23

I like thrillers and suspense that comes with reading them, for that reason this book is a must-read. Thanks.

Prisallen
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen » 10 Aug 2019, 07:45

Michelle Fred wrote:
10 Aug 2019, 06:23
I like thrillers and suspense that comes with reading them, for that reason this book is a must-read. Thanks.
I hope you enjoy it! Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

LinaMueller
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 86
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by LinaMueller » 10 Aug 2019, 10:11

I usually don't read crime fiction but your review is really pushing me to read this one. Your review is great as always. Good job, Prisallen.
Heart! We will forget him!
You an I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging.
I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson

gen_g
Currently Reading: The Gods and the Game Changer
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: Success! by Anne Elizabeth Nixon

Post by gen_g » 10 Aug 2019, 11:40

Wow, this seems to touch on many heavy and sensitive topics, especially about the nuances in faith and religion. Thank you for the review!

Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 259
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: It's All About Something by Alexander A. Villarasa, M.D.

Post by Cecilia_L » 10 Aug 2019, 12:01

A thriller that appeals to Christians is my cup of tea. Thanks for the recommendation.

unamilagra
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 200
Currently Reading: The Explosive Child
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Butterfly by Kathleen Sullivan McDonald
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra » 10 Aug 2019, 14:14

I'm not sure the premise of this book is my personal cup of tea, but it certainly sounds exciting and well written. Great review!

Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: The Starside Prophecy by Sarah Tirri

Post by Tomah » 11 Aug 2019, 12:28

I'm not religious, but I don't mind Christian-themed novels as long as they're well written and feature interesting characters, which seems to be the case here. I don't know if I'll check it out, but it sounds like a great read for fans of the genre. Thanks for the review!

sarahmarlowe
Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 70
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 80
2018 Reading Goal: 70
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The Bridge at Wilson Park by Frank Rubolino
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by sarahmarlowe » 11 Aug 2019, 14:04

" I love that the characters and settings are well described. However, I prefer they be worked into the story, along with some dialogue, rather than utilizing the first few chapters for this purpose."

That is my preference, too. I like balance in exposition, and I thoroughly believe in "show, don't tell." Thanks for the excellent review!
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:

Prisallen
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen » 11 Aug 2019, 15:05

LinaMueller wrote:
10 Aug 2019, 10:11
I usually don't read crime fiction but your review is really pushing me to read this one. Your review is great as always. Good job, Prisallen.
I think you would enjoy it. Thanks for taking the time to read my review and commenting!

Prisallen
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen » 11 Aug 2019, 15:06

gen_g wrote:
10 Aug 2019, 11:40
Wow, this seems to touch on many heavy and sensitive topics, especially about the nuances in faith and religion. Thank you for the review!
You are welcome. Thanks for commenting!

essyallan7475
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-essyallan7475.html
Latest Review: The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles

Post by essyallan7475 » 11 Aug 2019, 19:46

I love Christian books. This a good versus evil book. Its sll about faith. A book i must read. A good book

Kibetious
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 70
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 37
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 49
Currently Reading: the apathetical man
Bookshelf Size: 793
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibetious.html
Latest Review: A Second Chance at Dancing: A Memoir of Sorts by Michael T. Tusa Jr.

Post by Kibetious » 12 Aug 2019, 06:41

This sounds like a must-read for me. The book seems to be extremely interesting and I'm happy the characters are well developed. Thanks for the enthralling review.
​​​​​​He gives strength to those who are tired; to the ones who lack power, he gives renewed energy :techie-studyinggray:

OuKoyoo
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 7
Currently Reading: The Barnyard Buddies Meet a Newcomer
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oukoyoo.html
Latest Review: Do I Need a Will or a Trust by Taylor Willingham

Post by OuKoyoo » 12 Aug 2019, 06:58

I am not sure whether I would like to read the book, but your review sounds great and may be some day I will consider the book. Thank you.

Prisallen
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen » 12 Aug 2019, 07:31

Cecilia_L wrote:
10 Aug 2019, 12:01
A thriller that appeals to Christians is my cup of tea. Thanks for the recommendation.
I hope you enjoy it! Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”