Official Review: The Doll Maker and the Hammer

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: The Doll Maker and the Hammer

Post by MarisaRose »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Doll Maker and the Hammer" by R.B. Tetro.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Doll Maker and the Hammer by R.B. Tetro is a crime thriller with horror elements mixed in. When mutilated bodies start piling up in town, Detectives Sanchez and O’Malley are tasked with investigating the gruesome crimes. For Detective Sanchez, something feels off about this killer, more so than usual, and she is filled with anxiety as she struggles to make time for her family and juggle the investigation. Life gets even more confusing when a shadowy figure saves Sanchez’s life on more than one occasion. The mysterious man, Jack, turns out to be a hitman, but why is he following her? And what is Sanchez’s connection to the crime spree that is overtaking her rainy Tennessee town?

In general, Tetro does a great job developing the protagonists. Sanchez and her partner, Jim Bo, were particularly enjoyable. The two detectives covet their positions in law enforcement but aren’t afraid to toe the line between right and wrong to serve the greater good, and their relationship is endearing. Like most partners, they share an intimate bond unique to their situation. However, it is Sanchez, in particular, who proved to be a really captivating character. The author makes sure to develop Sanchez as a hard-hitting, dedicated police officer, but Tetro also manages to capture her softer side as a conflicted wife and loving mother. On the other hand, the development of the antagonists was lacking. The Hammer is an un-killable killer with barely existent motives, and the Doll Maker’s psyche is equally unexplained. The lack of development of the title characters was disappointing given the extravagance of their kills.

Despite the mostly interesting characters, the focus of the book proved confusing. There are chapters dedicated to the first-person perspective of Jack, the mysterious hitman, where the reader is made privy to his inner thoughts; he is the only character given point-of-view chapters. However, Jack seems relatively unimportant towards the end, and throughout the story, the development of his motives and relationship with Sanchez continued to be unclear despite his first-person narration. By the end of the book, it’s apparent that the main character is Sanchez, and the plot hinges on her past life and her decisions in the present, leaving the reader wondering why so much narrative was dedicated to Jack.

Additionally, the narrative is in need of thorough editing. The text is riddled with significant punctuation errors, and there are quite a few sloppy mistakes, like when the character Jim Bo is referred to as “Jumbo.” Further, the most distracting issue throughout is the failure to properly organize dialogue: characters speak within the same paragraph, often making it difficult to decipher who is doing the talking; this required many passages to be reread. Further, there were quite a few instances where the writing is plain clumsy, like in the following sentence: “Agreed, Jim Bo agreed.”

There were a lot of good elements to this story, and I thoroughly enjoyed the development of the two characters Sanchez and Jim Bo. Moreover, the story was engaging and fast paced with interesting twists that kept me hooked until the end. However, the issues with the narrative focus and editing led me to a less-than-perfect rating. I struggled between 2 stars and 3 stars, and ultimately chose to go with 3 out of 4 stars, simply because I really enjoyed the main characters. I recommend The Doll Maker and the Hammer to readers who like crime thrillers and don’t mind horror elements in their stories. However, readers should be warned that much of the content involving the murders in this book is incredibly gruesome.

The Doll Maker and the Hammer
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
KDJ
Favorite Book: Elenor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdj.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Post by KDJ »

Thank you for your review. I find I enjoy crime thrillers especially if the character development is well done. If I can get invested in the characters, I will enjoy the novel. Not getting to a true driving motive for the killer would get me though. I would also want the hitman to have a bigger role. I enjoyed your review and even with the slips in editing, I want to try this one. The cover got me!!! 😃😃😃
He that loves reading has everything within his reach. —William Godwin
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

In spite of the errors, this one does sound interesting. Why is a hitman following Sanchez? Guess I'll have to read and find out. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I enjoyed your thorough description of the main characters and how they were developed in the book. The story sees to have its weaknesses, but I agree with your final rating. Thanks for your candid comments about this book.
LinaMueller
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: The Wingless Fairy by Kye Strothers

Post by LinaMueller »

As a fan of mystery and crime stories, this is probably one book I should peruse. Sadly, many novice writers don't realize how important editing and proofreading is. Great review, MarisaRose. :tiphat:
Heart! We will forget him!
You an I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging.
I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson
jasmine-louise
Currently Reading: The Book of God
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jasmine-louise.html
Latest Review: Undead Redhead by Jen Frankel

Post by jasmine-louise »

Hey, thanks for the great review. I had not heard of this book before. I usually do not go for books with horror themes but this book sounds awesome! I can not wait to read it!!
Niv123
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies Meet a Newcomer
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nivi-gideon.html
Latest Review: Returning fire by Linda rhoutsong

Post by Niv123 »

Found this very interesting! Great review!
Kathleen Wolfe
Favorite Book: The Hour Game
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kathleen-wolfe.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Kathleen Wolfe »

This is the type of book I would love to read on a rainy day, by the window or snuggled into a corner. I enjoyed your review of this book. :D
Jade1692
Currently Reading: Healing Anger
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jade1692.html
Latest Review: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature by Chet Shupe
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Jade1692 »

Very nice review. Sounds like a good read, hopefully some of the editing errors can be fixed so it is less confusing and flows better.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”