Official Review: Dear Anna by Katie Blanchard

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MsTri
2019 Reading Goal: 12
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 208
2018 Reading Goal: 12
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 391
2017 Reading Goal: 0
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 15362">The Prodigal Son</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 524
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Dear Anna by Katie Blanchard
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Official Review: Dear Anna by Katie Blanchard

Post by MsTri » 01 Aug 2019, 12:04

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Dear Anna" by Katie Blanchard.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

"Heaven has no rage like love to hatred turned,
Nor hell a fury like a woman scorned."
- Zara [paraphrased] in The Mourning Bride by William Congreve, 1697

Zara may have been talking about herself, but she also could have been referring to Medeia Moore from Katie Blanchard's book, Dear Anna. In this gripping tale of revenge, the missus stumbles upon her husband, John, having a romantic dinner with his secretary, Anna Trayor. Unlike some of today's Real Housewives of [insert city], the scorned woman can't just take her husband for half of his money because she signed an ironclad prenuptial agreement that would leave her broke should she divorce her worse half. Shortly after Medeia spots the twosome on their date, she visits an attorney, who tells her that even if she gathers proof of the indiscretion, she likely won't prevail in court. Medeia then decides to go with Plan D ("D" for "dead"). What follows is an entertaining romp through an angered woman's mind as she plans the duo's demise.

As soon as I saw Mrs. Moore's first name, I knew I was in for something, as I assumed that she'd been named in honor of the mythological Medea, who didn't take too kindly to Jason spurning her love. Up until the time we meet her, though, she was actually a submissive wife who kowtowed to her husband's orders on how the rich live, including that she couldn't work, lest it look like he wasn't providing for her, and that she couldn't have friends without his approval of the candidates. However, once she uncovered his secret, the mitts came off. She still pretended to be the fawning wife while she prepared to put her plan into motion, but the thoughts she had were hilarious and very similar to what I imagine I'd think in such a situation. One such gem was, "I hope you die in a plane crash, darling." I also really liked the line, "I give you class and sophistication, and you take this toddler nonsense over me?" Medeia eventually found out her husband's sick plan that would leave him free to be with Anna, and it increased her ire. When she wasn’t plotting or stalking trollop Anna, she was writing journal entries to her - hence the title of the book - which populated the book as short chapter commentaries. I absolutely adored following along with Medeia's thoughts as she processed things and went through every emotion known to woman. The author did a superb job in that arena, as I too felt like I was on a roller coaster of feelings.

John was sufficiently douchey, which made me wonder what Medeia ever saw in him, even with the flashbacks that showed him to be romantic and kind. Likewise, Anna could be the poster child for whoredom; I'll leave the details up to the reader to discover, but Anna's promiscuous ways were truly jaw dropping. Fortunately, Medeia did make a friend, so the story wasn't completely overrun with scum. Jane was funny and a solid rock for Medeia, and I'm glad that she had her in her time of need. There were a few other minor characters that had important roles, and I truly applaud Katie for not wasting space on anyone who wasn't really necessary.

As to the actual story, it hit the ground running, and I was glad to put on my track shoes and race alongside it. There were a lot of twists and turns while the disgruntled spouse settled on, then finalized, her plans. Dear Anna was so full of suspenseful moments that I had to keep checking my skin for holes because I was on pins and needles so much. In addition, just when I had recovered from one eye-opener, another revelation came along and knocked me down. I truly cannot say enough about this tome's ability to hold my attention, for it was the epitome of "unputdownable." I will note that I was not emotionally prepared for the ending, and I still feel like I haven’t fully processed it yet.

As much as I laud Ms. Blanchard for this story, I have to decry the editing of the book, for it didn't seem to be professionally done. There were a number of error types, ranging from punctuation missteps to missing and extra words to mistakes with homophones. There were also compound word issues in addition to gaffes with awkward phrasing, occasional inconsistencies, and a few unnecessary changes in verb tense.

Even though I feel that Dear Anna is an A+ story ("A" for "Anna!"), I am rating the tome 3 out of 4 stars because of the mechanical issues. However, the typographical problems do not dissuade me from recommending the yarn to fans of revenge tales (especially those involving wronged women) and readers who enjoy psychological thrillers. I do have to warn any would-be readers that there is some violence, including domestic; profanity; and sexual activity, so be wary if you have a weak constitution or don't like those things.
Dear Anna...I want revenge. I want freedom. I want what I'm owed for ten years of marriage to that prick.
- Medeia Moore, Dear Anna

Dear Anna
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Empowered by Dominica Lumazar

Post by AntonelaMaria » 02 Aug 2019, 05:52

This sounds like a really interesting book. I want to know what happens? I guess I have to read it now. I love a good revenge story plus all that meaningful naming od the character sounds amazing. Excellent review.

MrunalT
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 20
Currently Reading: Heartquake
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrunalt.html
Latest Review: The Touch by Robert Flynn III

Post by MrunalT » 02 Aug 2019, 06:44

Such a brilliant review. The book seems to be really good. I have always wanted to read psychological thrillers, but never came across good ones. This book just might change it.

Michelle Fred
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-fred.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Michelle Fred » 02 Aug 2019, 07:38

I enjoyed reading your review, it really does sell the book. Medeia seems like a very likable character, her thoughts are hilarious too. I hope she gets her pound of flesh. Thanks for your awesome review.

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 60
Currently Reading: Sunshine at the Academy
Bookshelf Size: 291
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Rainbow by Lisa Silva

Post by kandscreeley » 02 Aug 2019, 07:40

I can understand why Medeia wanted her husband dead. He sounds like an idiot. I'm glad she has someone in her life to ground her. It's not my type of book, not your review was almost poetic. Thanks.
Good books, like good friends, are few and chosen; the more select, the more enjoyable.
-Louisa May Alcott
Latest Review: Rainbow by Lisa Silva

Stephanie Elizabeth
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 77
Currently Reading: Cynthia and Dan
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Second time for love by Bruce Cooke

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth » 02 Aug 2019, 10:09

This sounds like a funny, but dark story about a woman who's anger takes on a life of its own. I really enjoyed reading your review!

elizablu
Currently Reading: The Kings' Assassin
Bookshelf Size: 22

Post by elizablu » 02 Aug 2019, 21:42

I personally loved this review. It gave me much needed information about the book without revealing to much. I love that the theme is a scorn housewife plotting her adulterous husbands murder. I also love that the book follows along with the main characters journal entries. The cliffhanger the reviewer left about not fully recovering from the ending of the book has me wanting to snatch this one up and read it ASAP.

alanbwriter
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by alanbwriter » 03 Aug 2019, 07:26

I love a good revenge story. Mystery is running through words - it fulfills the action and it pursues the characters. Beautifully written , add to shaft .

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 80
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: The Last Bush Pilots
Bookshelf Size: 263
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: Our Time Will Come by Jean Gallant Marcoux

Post by kdstrack » 03 Aug 2019, 20:42

Those prenups have a way of growing fangs! The author balances the dark elements with a good dose of humor. The "worse half" made me laugh! Fantastic writing and an enjoyable review. Thanks!

Miriam Molina
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 64
2018 Reading Goal: 48
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 158
2017 Reading Goal: 36
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 125
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: A Stained White Radiance
Bookshelf Size: 569
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miriam-molina.html
Latest Review: Happy Place by Alexis Clear
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Miriam Molina » 03 Aug 2019, 21:40

Fantastic review, MsTri! I'm eager to plot with Medeia! Anna -hilate and Moore-der those two!

anmartinez1

Post by anmartinez1 » 04 Aug 2019, 15:44

A dark and vengeful story in all the right ways! Glad to see an intriguing story where it’s also a plot for murder! How shocking this seems just like a movie, and I’m in love!

Dee_218
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dee-218.html

Post by Dee_218 » 07 Aug 2019, 15:44

Its so disappointing to read such an exciting review and then only to scroll down and find thag the novel was not professionally edited. The novel surely has enough potential to do well if the plot and narrative are anything to go by.

j_harris93
Currently Reading:

Post by j_harris93 » 08 Aug 2019, 16:15

Wow! This sounds like my kind of book. You really made me want to read this and find out all the juicy details for myself. Great review.

LinaMueller
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 70
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html

Post by LinaMueller » 10 Aug 2019, 10:25

This sounds like a book I would like. Thanks for your review, MsTri.
Heart! We will forget him!
You an I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging.
I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson

essyallan7475
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by essyallan7475 » 11 Aug 2019, 20:24

A great review. I liked that Medeia wanted revenge. No one likes a cheat. To be married to one is just bad. He deserved what he got. Great book

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”