Official Review: James Street by Sarah Vail

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Momlovesbooks
Previous Member of the Month
2017 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 70
Currently Reading: A Book for Oreo
Bookshelf Size: 241
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-momlovesbooks.html
Latest Review: James Street by Sarah Vail

Official Review: James Street by Sarah Vail

Post by Momlovesbooks » 01 Aug 2019, 10:14

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "James Street" by Sarah Vail.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

James Street: A Novel, by Sarah Vail, is a mystery and romance. It kept me on the edge of my seat with many twists and turns.

Tim Andrews is a smart and handsome prosecutor in Seattle. He’s always been a “love ‘em and leave ‘em” guy until he sees a beautiful woman in the James Street garage. He begins a romance with the beautiful Daniela St. Clair. He is unaware that she is a wealthy heiress and businesswoman.

While pursuing his love interest, he is thrust into a case involving a series of deaths by a toxic mix of alcohol and antidepressants. Tim begins working with two of his lifelong friends, Scott and Kathy, to prove the deaths were murders. Scott is a police detective and Kathy is with the Medical Examiner’s Office. The three friends become a formidable team as the case leads them down a twisting road. Tim does everything he can to find the killer before Daniela becomes the next victim.

Sarah Vail has created a gripping tale. I liked that this book had a little something for everyone. It had suspense, romance, interesting characters and lots of action. I enjoy a good romance, so was drawn to the characters of Tim and Daniela. They were deeply in love and it showed through on the pages of this book. The secondary characters were interesting, also. I liked that there was another romance among the other characters.

The author described vivid scenes of the surrounding areas, facts about wine culture and business dealings. For example, “the verdant pastures full of cattle and horses grazing peacefully”. I could picture the restful scene in my mind. It was apparent a great deal of research went into this book.

There was some use of profanity throughout the book and a few descriptive love scenes. Also, some of the murder scenes and the descriptions of the crimes were graphic. I would not recommend this book to young readers. Also, I noticed a few grammatical mistakes, but they did not distract from my overall enjoyment of the book. It appears to have been professionally edited, though.

Based on the above observations, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. The only thing I can recommend to make it better is maybe another editing. However, the errors were minor. I enjoyed this fast-paced thriller. Anyone who likes mysteries and love stories would enjoy this novel.

James Street
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

s_writing
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 7
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-s-writing.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar

Post by s_writing » 06 Aug 2019, 23:50

This sounds like 50 Shades meet Scandal. I love a good romantic thriller!

Michelle Fred
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-fred.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Michelle Fred » 07 Aug 2019, 04:41

It's always interesting when romance is infused with elements of mystery and suspense. I love a good romance novel, and this one seems action packed.

Dee_218
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dee-218.html
Latest Review: Empowered by Dominica Lumazar

Post by Dee_218 » 07 Aug 2019, 13:00

It is quite enjoyable to read such books that have a mix of genres within it. Thank you for such an informative review.

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 80
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: The Last Bush Pilots
Bookshelf Size: 263
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: Our Time Will Come by Jean Gallant Marcoux

Post by kdstrack » 08 Aug 2019, 20:24

I enjoyed your description of the characters and the buildup of the plot. This looks good. Thanks for the recommendation.

LinaMueller
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 70
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: Empowered by Dominica Lumazar

Post by LinaMueller » 10 Aug 2019, 10:14

I'm glad you enjoyed this book, though it's a shame about the editing issues. Well done, Momlovesbooks.
Heart! We will forget him!
You an I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging.
I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”