Official Review: Pablo Fandango by James L. Kelly

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kislany
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Our Nation's No.2, the Rising Influence of America's Modern Vice Presidency by Charles Denyer

Official Review: Pablo Fandango by James L. Kelly

Post by kislany » 31 Jul 2019, 07:21

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Pablo Fandango" by James L. Kelly.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Pablo Fandango by James L. Kelly features three friends, Marty, Matt, and Howie. Marty and Matt move away after some tragic events in their hometown. The two guys reconnect five years later when they meet again in Toronto. Howie enters their lives around that time. Marty, a rather decent painter, comes up with the idea of an art scam that his two friends agree with.

The first few paragraphs made me curious about the book, as they left me with several questions that I wanted answers to. What were the three friends doing around 6 a.m. walking on King Street while in possession of a few grand and a gun? Were they going to rob a bank, coming from a bank heist, or were they up to something worse?

After this initial suspenseful tempo, things settled down, and the story took on a slower pace which it maintained until the end of the book. As the story is told from Marty’s point of view with the narrator talking directly to the audience, we feel we are reading a diary, and this takes away from the element of suspense. If the main character tells the story sometimes in the future, we know he is going to survive whatever is thrown at him.

Despite the story rolling slowly forward, I was intrigued by the scam and wanted to know whether the three unlikely friends could make it work. The guys differed from each other, yet strangely enough, they all brought something to the table that complemented Marty’s ingenious plan. As the story unfolded, we got more familiar with Matt and Howie and learned about their personal issues that drove them to be receptive to the idea. Howie was a bit funnier, and I ended up liking him quite a lot. Matt, however, remained rather cold, and he emitted a dangerous vibe that I didn't like. Throughout the pages, there was plenty of dialogue between the friends (and other unsavory and even scary people), and this pushed the action forward to keep its momentum going.

The author included several sections that took me back to high-school classes dealing with art theory, as they focused on Picasso and his extensive library of works. While Marty was researching Picasso to hatch his scheme, I’ve learned a lot about several of Picasso’s paintings. I was not bothered by these chapters, but some readers might feel there are too many art-related details sprinkled throughout the pages in a thriller novel.

In terms of editing, I found the writing style enjoyable and devoid of any forced phrases so common to new authors, and I haven’t noticed many grammatical errors in the book; however, sensitive people might shy away from the many swear words present. For a debut novel, the book was well written and had an interesting plot and solid characters, so I award it 3 out of 4 stars. I lowered the rating to 3 stars because of the many curse words. In a book counting less than 300 pages, I found over 300 mentions of the “f” word alone. For me, that number was a little too high.

If readers don’t mind the foul language, I recommend Pablo Fandango to lovers of art heist mysteries where preparation is everything, and character development and detailed descriptions trump fast-paced action scenes.

Pablo Fandango
View: on Bookshelves

Michelle Fred
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-fred.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Michelle Fred » 01 Aug 2019, 08:09

Your review makes the book seem really interesting. Three unlikely friends driven by a common goal, each doing their part to each their aim. I like the theme.

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 60
Currently Reading: Sunshine at the Academy
Bookshelf Size: 291
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Rainbow by Lisa Silva

Post by kandscreeley » 01 Aug 2019, 08:29

Well, I am curious what kind of trouble the three friends seem to be getting themselves into. I wonder if the pacing of the middle of the book would be too slow for me, though (I kind of enjoy a faster pace to most of my books). Nevertheless, it's one I might have to try. Thanks!
Good books, like good friends, are few and chosen; the more select, the more enjoyable.
-Louisa May Alcott
Latest Review: Rainbow by Lisa Silva

Gathoni1991
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 50
Currently Reading: Elf Accord
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gathoni1991.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Gathoni1991 » 01 Aug 2019, 13:37

Beautiful review. But I'll pass on this book.

s_writing
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 7
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-s-writing.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar

Post by s_writing » 01 Aug 2019, 18:06

Your review really got my heart pumping with excitement! It sounds like it's really good even with the slow start. I love books with quite a bit of drama.

Everydayadventure15
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 60
Favorite Book: Assassin's Apprentice (Farseer Trilogy, #1)
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-everydayadventure15.html
Latest Review: Dragon Born by Ela Lourenco

Post by Everydayadventure15 » 01 Aug 2019, 18:53

I enjoyed reading your review and the book definitely sounds interesting! I personally don’t enjoy excessive swearing in a book if I can avoid it, so I’ll have to pass on this one. Thanks for sharing your take on this book!

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 80
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: The Last Bush Pilots
Bookshelf Size: 263
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: Our Time Will Come by Jean Gallant Marcoux

Post by kdstrack » 01 Aug 2019, 20:49

The opening of the book really grabs your interest! I like the way the author gives each character their own distinct character that contributes something distinct to the relationship - and to the scam. Great review! Thanks for the recommendation.

jasmine-louise
2019 Reading Goal: 30
Currently Reading: The Book of God
Bookshelf Size: 38

Post by jasmine-louise » 14 Aug 2019, 02:26

I enjoyed your review on the book. The plot sounds very intriguing. In regards to the swearing, I am not a fan of swearing, I think you can make a brilliant novel with ZERO swear words. one or two swear words is one thing but over 300??

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”