Review by Irishmom -- The Lost Identity Casualties

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Irishmom
Currently Reading: Heartaches 3
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-irishmom.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar

Review by Irishmom -- The Lost Identity Casualties

Post by Irishmom »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Lost Identity Casualties" by Kim Ekemar.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I read The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar.

A man wakes up with little sense of who he is or how he came to be in a luxurious, state-of-the-art hospital. He is badly injured and struggles to discover why. The story unfolds in dated passages, and the reader is given the man’s life story from childhood, while simultaneously learning the answers to the mysteries of his present. Matthias Callaghan, the man in the hospital, has a rich and storied past. What unfolds when Callaghan leaves the hospital is an exciting tale of intrigue, money and the sweetness of revenge.

The story was peppered with enough details, but not too many, easy and entertaining at the same time. The players could have become simple caricatures, such as a Russian gangster or a shady lawyer, but they were well-developed even if they didn’t have large roles to play.

I liked the way Ekemar dated the sections of the book. With the past and present stories intertwining, this was helpful and organizing. I often find espionage stories cumbersome in their details and hard to follow, but this was better-written than most. The format of the dating (he gave ranges) felt in keeping with the businesslike manner of the protagonist.

I didn’t feel that the personal relationships Callaghan had were believable. I had a difficult time understanding why he did the things he did in relation to his wife, his father and his business partner. Parts of the book in which Callaghan dealt with personal matters felt forced and rushed, and the writing suffered. The cast of characters with whom Callaghan was involved during his business dealings seemed more fleshed out. It may be that, in the sequels, personal relationships will be explored at greater length.

I enjoyed this book more than I anticipated that I would. I do not normally choose espionage stories, but I like action and drama. I was surprised at how engaged I was with Matthias Callaghan and his life story. The book moves quickly, and is fun to read. I would purchase the sequels. I would recommend this book for fans of spy thrillers. There is some graphic violence, and so I don’t think it suitable for readers younger than 16.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. There were few spelling errors, but the writing seemed unsophisticated at times. It may be that, as the characters develop, the writing will be as excellent as the concept.

The Lost Identity Casualties
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords
"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. "~Groucho Marx

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”