Review by Redeemed_Batyah -- Twisted But True

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Redeemed_Batyah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-redeemed-batyah.html
Latest Review: Twisted But True by Darren Burch

Review by Redeemed_Batyah -- Twisted But True

Post by Redeemed_Batyah »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Twisted But True" by Darren Burch.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Do you ever wonder what's going on every time you hear an emergency siren, whether it be the police, the fire department or the Emergency Medical Services? Have you ever wanted to know where they were going, who were the people involved, what were the circumstances warranting the emergency, and more importantly, how each situation ended? I do, and my curiosity is almost always piqued, especially when it involves the police, like the time when seven police cars drove past the house at dusk, with their sirens blazing in an otherwise quiet, suburban road. Readers who are like me would enjoy the book Twisted but True by Darren Burch.

Twisted but True is a compilation of real-life, police encounters as written by retired police officer Darren Burch, based on his 30 years' worth of experience as Law Enforcement officer in Phoenix, Arizona. He is also a veteran and a radio show host. Mr. Burch treats us to a fascinating story in the first chapters of his book as to how and why he became a police officer, followed by riveting anecdotes on cases he got involved with like sex crimes, which he specialized in, homicide, burglary, domestic violence, and the like. He gives us an in-depth look, if not a first-hand perspective, in the life of a law enforcer as he takes us for a ride-along to actual crimes and events in this captivating book. Each chapter chronicles a separate case and ends with a twist, which gives a post-investigative conclusion that gratifies the inquisitive.

It is important to note that by the very nature of this book, as a fact-based, detailed report of investigative police work, an accurate portrayal sometimes necessitates graphic descriptions, some erotic, as in the case of sexual crimes, and the use of explicit language repeated verbatim. The author had rightly written at the beginning of the book, a warning to readers that this book contains such sensitive content.

I enjoyed reading Twisted but True and I give it a rating of 4 out of 4 stars because while the nature of crime is distressful, the author has a knack for storytelling that one can not fail to appreciate the dark humor of the tales he recounted. The gloominess of the subject is also assuaged by how some of the cases or situations were satisfactorily resolved. Additionally, the blunders of some of the main characters in this narrative can either make one chuckle in amusement, or leave one open-mouthed and wide-eyed in astonishment, or both. I particularly liked the way the writer changed the names of the people in the accounts and assigned them nicknames, which are both suitable and hilarious. The subtitles for each chapter are also very catchy and intriguing that it entices one to read on and then be hungry for more.

It is very well-written and educational. I developed higher respect and understanding for those tasked to serve and protect because of it. I highly recommend it, notably to crime or detective story enthusiasts. However, since most situations requiring police involvement are not pretty but are sometimes downright revolting as depicted in this book, and there is uncensored language in it, it is NOT recommended for the queasy and minors. Overall, it is a very good detective book. And though the crimes may not be as perplexing as those in Sherlock Holmes detective stories, the events and circumstances in this book being factual, in my opinion, make it even better.

Twisted But True
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”