Official Review: Nate by Dorothy May Mercer

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
klbradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 410
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klbradley.html
Latest Review: Confessions by Karen R Lewis
Reading Device: 1400697484

Official Review: Nate by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by klbradley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Nate" by Dorothy May Mercer.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Nate: The Search is a modern-day novel written by Dorothy May Mercer. Published in December 2017, the story features multiple genres in a compilation that operates well together to convey necessary excitement and mystery to the story. Nate: The Search essentially follows two central characters; Nate and Sally.

With the story commencing 21 years prior to the present, Nate and his wife are struggling to conceive a child of their own Following one travail and mishap after another, the two agree to attempt surrogacy after Nate's wife discovers that she has cancer and will no longer have an opportunity to conceive. On the day the pair arrives to pick up their newborn baby girl, they are notified by the nurse that the baby girl is gone and her birth mother left with her. Appearing to vanish without a trace, Nate exasperates all possibilities to track them down to no avail. Although as difficult as it seems, Nate is forced to find a new normal for his life when he loses his wife to cancer by launching everything into his career as an elite team member dedicated to obstructing terrorism.

Fast-forwarding 21 years into the future and we are introduced to Sally, a senior flight attendant who does unusually classified and shady work on the side. When a terrorist group seems to take on a new and more complex idea for wreaking havoc, Nate and Sally are both pulled into the mix with no idea about one another. What follows is a sophisticated attempt to take down one of the largest and most complex terrorist organizations in recent years.

I was a bit put off by how much was going on at one time in this story. There were many times when I felt as though the story was several stories tossed together with what seemed like no real connection between them. Despite my assumption that there was too much going on, I was blown away by the author's masterpiece of putting everything together in such a way to combine all the characters and their supplied stories together. The timeline of events was spread out in a way that made the links between characters memorable and convincing, as well as offering a steady pace to the story.

I can't offer much in regards to the editing of the story as the copy I had was an audiobook format, however, I can say that I was not a fan of the way the chapters began. Each chapter within the book started with reiterating the name of the book and the author's name. I do feel Nate: The Search is an appropriate book for any reader, as there's a little bit of every genre involved, while also maintaining a clean read with no explicit scenes and very minimal explicit language. I rate Nate: The Search 3 out of 4 stars. My complaints with the story come from mainly the audiobook narration and a bit of choppiness in the beginning, but otherwise, I thoroughly enjoyed reading the story and would recommend to anyone looking for an exciting and dramatic read of around 220 pages.

Nate
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Magnify3 »

It sounds like an interesting book. I wish that I could read it. I suppose hearing it wouldn't be bad either. I just don't know if my device is compatible with audio books. Thanks for the grwat review!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Sunshine at the Academy
Bookshelf Size: 406
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Blue Zeus by Carol J. Walker
2022 Reading Goal: 100
2022 Goal Completion: 7%

Post by kandscreeley »

I love audiobooks, especially for long trips. This sounds like an interesting one. I've already read one book by Dorothy May Mercer, and I like how her stories are interconnected. I'll have to look at this one closer. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Jaclyn
Currently Reading: God's generals
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaclyn.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Jaclyn »

Thanks for your review. Sounds like I'll mark it for a read coz I love such stories
Kansas City Teacher
Review Team Admin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 189
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kansas-city-teacher.html
Latest Review: 2020 by Ashley McCoury

Post by Kansas City Teacher »

Great review! I really like this author - read another one by her. I can tell she goes on in when she writes - like you said, it's jam-packed!
Latest Review: 2020 by Ashley McCoury
Dragonsend
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonsend.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Dragonsend »

One thing I certainly enjoy about this author, her ability to write without smut! Thank you for the review. Nice job!
The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance. 2 Peter 3:9 :angelic-grayflying:
Dee_218
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dee-218.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by Dee_218 »

I have not utilized audibooks but I could utilize it sometime in the near future. I almost hoped the father could meet the daughter.
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 313
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: My life uncensored by Cristina Caymares
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

Huh. I'm personally not a fan of the author but it sounds like you really enjoyed this one. It does seem to be rather interesting and exciting.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”