Official Review: The Girl Who Loved Caravaggio by Belle Ami

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
Bluebird03
2019 Reading Goal: 65
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 170
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: A Walk On The Dark Side by A von Gerhardt

Official Review: The Girl Who Loved Caravaggio by Belle Ami

Post by Bluebird03 » 05 Jul 2019, 21:09

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Girl Who Loved Caravaggio" by Belle Ami.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Girl Who Loved Caravaggio begins with Caravaggio (a painter) and Ranuccio (an abusive pimp) fighting a duel in Rome, Italy in 1606. Tired of seeing Ranuccio torment his muse and lover, Fillide, Caravaggio has initiated the duel. While intending to slice the testicles of Ranuccio, Caravaggio accidentally gnashes the femoral artery instead. What was meant to have been a “fight to first blood” ended in Ranuccio’s death. Now Caravaggio would be forced to flee Rome and Fillide to live in exile.

Fast forward to the present, where Angela Renatus and Alex Caine are planning to meet one another’s parents. During sleep, Angela dreams of a duel in the streets of Italy. The timing appears to be near the Renaissance era. One of the faces is hauntingly familiar, and suddenly she dreams her lover, Alex, has just killed a man. Once awake, Angela researches paintings near that era. When her eyes land on a picture of Caravaggio, she knows at once he was the killer in her nightmare. But why had Angela seen the killer “morph into Alex”? Are she and Alex bound to one another in yet another past life?

Once again, in this installment, they are called upon to locate a missing masterpiece (this time by Caravaggio). In their attempt to solve the mystery behind the stolen artwork, they will both have visions of their previous life as Caravaggio and his muse, Fillide. However, Angela’s visions will take a turn and also become predictive of the future. If this isn’t enough to captivate you, toss in that Angela’s mother (formerly a spy for the KGB) had supposedly died giving birth to Angela. But did she die?

Having read Belle Ami’s previous installment in this series, The Girl Who Knew da Vinci, I was already familiar with both Angela and Alex. While I do recommend reading the books in order, I can tell readers that this installment is perfectly capable of standing on its own. Also, at the end of this book, all plots are resolved. Once again, Ami did a thorough job of alerting the reader to time changes from one century to another and letting the reader know which era was being featured. As a result, the storyline was an easy one to follow.

I liked that Ami portrayed the characters thoroughly. Readers will come to know both Angela (and her love of food almost as much as her love of Alex) and Alex (a former SEAL and playboy turned detective). Also, the secondary characters were well-developed and relatable in their portrayal. I especially liked Oliver (Angela’s dad), as he came across as very concerned for Angela and her safety, but also immediately accepted, liked, and trusted Alex.

There was nothing I could find to dislike about this novel. Additionally, with only a couple of errors, the book was well edited. I award The Girl Who Loved Carravagio by Belle Ami 4 out of 4 stars. This fast-paced story will appeal to fans of romance and mystery thrillers. Those fascinated with the elements of past lives and reincarnation will not be disappointed.

Due to the coarse language (f**k, and s**t) used numerous times in the story, I cannot recommend this book for young adults or those offended by these words. I can tell you that while I am not fond of this language, I was able to quickly identify them, note them for the review, and easily move on with the storyline. Also, there are a few sexual scenes that will deem this book inappropriate to those sensitive to such. However, they were not to the point of being explicit.

I highly recommend this exciting novel and look forward to Belle Ami’s release of her third installment in the Out of Time series, The Girl Who Adored Rembrandt.

The Girl Who Loved Caravaggio
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: The Diaries of Abi Rhode by S.L. LeClair

Post by Cecilia_L » 06 Jul 2019, 12:13

This is a series I am interested in reading. The blending of genres and fast pace appeals to me. Thanks for the recommendation.

Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Magnify3 » 06 Jul 2019, 14:31

Sounds interesting! I have my own takes of the visions but of course I have to read the book to find out if my idea is correct! Thanks for the review!

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 65
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 248
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: Make Me Tick by Nick Carr

Post by kdstrack » 06 Jul 2019, 16:49

I have read the first book and am glad to see Alex and Angela working together on another mystery. Your review presents the characters and the story line in a motivating way. Great review. I am anxious to read this novel.

Bluebird03
Currently Reading:

Post by Bluebird03 » 06 Jul 2019, 20:41

Cecilia_L wrote:
06 Jul 2019, 12:13
This is a series I am interested in reading. The blending of genres and fast pace appeals to me. Thanks for the recommendation.
I hope that you do read this series, Cecilia. There is just so much going on in each of the two books I've read so far- never a dull moment. Thank you for commenting! :)

Bluebird03
Currently Reading:

Post by Bluebird03 » 06 Jul 2019, 20:49

Magnify3 wrote:
06 Jul 2019, 14:31
Sounds interesting! I have my own takes of the visions but of course I have to read the book to find out if my idea is correct! Thanks for the review!
Yes, you will definitely have to check out the book to find out about your visions theory! Thanks so much, Magnify3, for stopping by and commenting! :)

Bluebird03
Currently Reading:

Post by Bluebird03 » 06 Jul 2019, 20:50

kdstrack wrote:
06 Jul 2019, 16:49
I have read the first book and am glad to see Alex and Angela working together on another mystery. Your review presents the characters and the story line in a motivating way. Great review. I am anxious to read this novel.
If you liked the first book, you will definitely love this one! Thank you, kdstrack, for your insightful comments and for your kind words! :)

danielleamy
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 52
Favorite Book: The Handmaid's Tale
Currently Reading: All Together Dead
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danielleamy.html
Latest Review: The Dark Web Murders by Brian O'Hare
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by danielleamy » 08 Jul 2019, 10:24

Thanks for recommending this series! I've read the sample for the previous book and I'm definitely interested reading these. Fab review!
All the reading she had done had given her a view of life that they had never seen - Matilda, Roald Dahl

c4bersg1rl
2019 Reading Goal: 20
Currently Reading: Control Room
Bookshelf Size: 847
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by c4bersg1rl » 10 Jul 2019, 15:41

I like that this book, "The Girl Who Loves Caravaggio" by Belle Ami is a stand alone novel. I like that the characters are well developed and the story seems involving. It is interesting that the main characters Angela and Alex tend to have visions. I have heard a lot about this book and I am interested in reading it. I hope that it lives up the hype. I want to thank you for your review.
Carry out a random act of kindness, with no expectation of reward, safe in the knowledge that one day someone might do the same for you. - Princess Diana

Bluebird03
Currently Reading:

Post by Bluebird03 » 12 Jul 2019, 16:43

danielleamy wrote:
08 Jul 2019, 10:24
Thanks for recommending this series! I've read the sample for the previous book and I'm definitely interested reading these. Fab review!
I hope you do get the chance to read the series. Thank you, danielleamy, for stopping by and for your kind words! :)

Bluebird03
Currently Reading:

Post by Bluebird03 » 12 Jul 2019, 16:48

c4bersg1rl wrote:
10 Jul 2019, 15:41
I like that this book, "The Girl Who Loves Caravaggio" by Belle Ami is a stand alone novel. I like that the characters are well developed and the story seems involving. It is interesting that the main characters Angela and Alex tend to have visions. I have heard a lot about this book and I am interested in reading it. I hope that it lives up the hype. I want to thank you for your review.
This is definitely one of my favorite series. I hope that you do find time to read it and that you enjoy it as much as I did. Thank you for your kind words!

Dragonsend
2019 Reading Goal: 12
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 416
Currently Reading: Hippocrates and The Hobgoblin
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonsend.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Dragonsend » 12 Jul 2019, 17:47

Angela and Alex just can't stay out of trouble. Thank you for the review and of course I will be reading this book of the series sometime soon.
The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance. 2 Peter 3:9 :angelic-grayflying:

Bluebird03
Currently Reading:

Post by Bluebird03 » 16 Jul 2019, 13:43

Dragonsend wrote:
12 Jul 2019, 17:47
Angela and Alex just can't stay out of trouble. Thank you for the review and of course I will be reading this book of the series sometime soon.
No they cannot. And I'm looking forward to reading more of them in the third installment. Thanks for stopping by and commenting, Dragonsend! :)

Bluebird03
Currently Reading:

Post by Bluebird03 » 16 Jul 2019, 13:49

Dragonsend wrote:
12 Jul 2019, 17:47
No they cannot. And I look forward to reading about more of their escapades in the third installment of this series. Thank you for stopping by and commenting, Dragonsend! :)

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”