Official Review: Overkill by Ted Bell

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
Kendra M Parker
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 30
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 414
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendra-m-parker.html
Latest Review: Overkill by Ted Bell
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Official Review: Overkill by Ted Bell

Post by Kendra M Parker » 05 Jul 2019, 19:56

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Overkill" by Ted Bell.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Lord Alex Hawke specializes in counterintelligence and hostage rescues. When his son goes missing after a tragic accident on a ski lift in St. Moritz, Switzerland, Hawke puts all of his plentiful resources to work to recover his son. At roughly the same time, the president of Russia, Vladimir Putin, escapes an assassination attempt and goes into hiding. Putin pulls together his own resources to facilitate his return to power in Russia.

As the tenth book in the Alex Hawke series, Overkill by Ted Bell was surprisingly easy to follow. Clearly, the characters had significant history from the other books. Bell masterfully included just enough of the right information to be able to convey that history without downloading the entire series to a new reader. Unfortunately, the number of characters that appeared caused many of them to feel somewhat shallow to me as a first-time reader. I suspect followers of the Alex Hawke series would feel rather differently about those characters due to the history that developed in the other novels.

Since this is a well-established series, I checked out some of the reviews on other books before reading this one. Many of the reviews of this series were incredibly flattering of Hawke in other books. As I started this book, however, I was sorely disappointed. Hawke felt one-dimensional, lost, and frankly not very easy to like for much of the book. Fortunately, Hawke showed some significant growth throughout the book. By persevering, I finally saw the drive and sense of boldness that makes Hawke such a great hero. Taken together with how Bell set up his novel, I can really appreciate his willingness to allow his hero to falter. The author trusts his readers to root for the character and persevere to see him overcome these struggles.

Bell also has a great sense of how to weave together a mystery. He reveals just enough details at exactly the right time to be able to keep readers engaged without giving away the ending. His method of storytelling has a sense of the theater about it. Much like a well-written screenplay cuts the scene before revealing all of the details, Bell reveals just a few tidbits in one scene and cuts away. Later, he allows the other characters to discover something important from that event in another scene. This sort of engaging storytelling combined with the short chapters turned a long book into an engaging, quick read.

Readers that enjoy high-action thrillers or spy novels are likely to enjoy Overkill. If you want to see strong female characters in action, this is not a great choice. The few female characters that do appear felt weak or like an afterthought. Had Hawke been easier to like throughout the book, my rating on this book would have been better. Bell has a style of writing that uses many incomplete sentences, but they were clearly stylistic instead of errors. With that in mind, I otherwise found this book to be well-edited. Overall, I give this book 3 out of 4 stars and look forward to checking out other books in this series.

Overkill
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Latest Review: Overkill by Ted Bell

Helene_2008
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helene-2008.html
Latest Review: Arsenic and Old Men by Glenn Ickler

Post by Helene_2008 » 10 Jul 2019, 18:26

Your summary of this book piques my interest! I'm glad the main character was more enjoyable as the story went on. The writing style of this mystery sounds great too. Thanks for the review!

LinaMueller
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 66
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by LinaMueller » 11 Jul 2019, 07:04

Spy novels are certainly not my favourite genre, but not long ago I have come across two books and they were great. I very much appreciated your review, Kendra. :tiphat:
Heart! We will forget him!
You an I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging.
I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 48
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 94
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading: Scorched
Bookshelf Size: 283
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Lone Star Odyssey by David Wilson

Post by kandscreeley » 11 Jul 2019, 08:18

It definitely sounds like the characters could use a bit of work; it's also too bad about the female characters (or lack thereof). I don't think this is one I would enjoy, but I do appreciate your review. Thanks.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 65
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 248
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: Make Me Tick by Nick Carr

Post by kdstrack » 11 Jul 2019, 16:00

I was interested in the connection between the missing son and Putin getting back into Russia! Your review has intrigued me. Great writing!

chiefsimplex
2019 Reading Goal: 80
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 20
Currently Reading: A Second, Less Capable Head
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiefsimplex.html
Latest Review: The Dark Web Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by chiefsimplex » 15 Jul 2019, 01:22

The book sounds exciting and complex. From the review i can see that the author has a unique and captivating style of writing.l am however curious to know how and at which points did the main character and Putin's stories intercept.Your review is so insightful, thanks for sharing :tiphat:
“So many books, so little time.”
― Frank Zappa

Letora
2019 Reading Goal: 90
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 48
Favorite Book: The Turn
Currently Reading: No Rest for the Wicked
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Letora » 15 Jul 2019, 08:12

I wonder if reading the previous installments would make the characters more likeable. Without a strong female character I might pass on this one though. Great review!
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”