Official Review: Detective Ann Morgan and The Boxer Colle...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ekta Kumari
Favorite Book: Rebecca
Currently Reading: A Witch in Time Saves Nine
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-kumari.html
Latest Review: Pity the Devil' Wife by W. Hanelan
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Official Review: Detective Ann Morgan and The Boxer Colle...

Post by Ekta Kumari » 03 Jul 2019, 12:57

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Detective Ann Morgan and The Boxer College Murder: second edition" by john tomikel.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Professor Lawrence Hunter, a chemistry teacher at the Boxer College, is found on the floor of the chemistry laboratory by his student assistant. Unfortunately, it turns out that he was actually murdered in that same lab while no one was around to witness it. Detective Ann Morgan and her partner, Samuel T. Boone, arrive on the scene to investigate the case. But the only lead they have is a cryptic chemistry formula left by the professor on the chalkboard, and they are having a hard time figuring out what exactly went down. Much to their dismay, the incident gets heavily publicized in the small town of Avon, and they are under pressure to find the killer or it can have serious consequences for their careers. While this was enough to prey on Ann's mind, the situation gets a lot more intricate when she becomes the object of pursuit for three faculty members at the college. She always followed and believed in the principle of never getting involved with a suspect of her case. However, Ann is finding it difficult to resist the charms of these men. Can she keep a clear head and focus on solving the case?

Detective Ann Morgan and The Boxer College Murder: second edition by John Tomikel is a classic whodunit crime mystery loaded with romantic encounters. The lead character is Ann, and the book follows her as she finds her way around the crime and her romantic life as well. Other characters that are of significance include Ann's detective partner, some college professors, and the students of the college.

I was pleased with the suspenseful aspect of the book as the uncertainty behind who was the killer kept me hooked until the end. The ending was unexpected but not exactly improbable or out of place. Also, the humor and light side of the book was not lost on me, as there are many parts in the narrative that are quite enjoyable and set a light-hearted tone.

A quick-witted basketball coach, a nerdy chemistry professor are all part of the storyline and Ann's quest in finding the killer. Every character has different attributes and adds different flavors to the story. I was specifically amused with Ann's personality; she is not exactly the headstrong and reserved cop but is still very convincing in her seriousness towards her job, even when she gets distracted by her lack of a romantic life more than once. I was quite taken aback with some of her characteristics when it came to her personal relationships. I must say that I would have preferred her to be more businesslike, though her nature made her look more like a human and less like a fictional character.

This is the first installment of The Detective Ann Morgan Series, and, at present, there are five others that succeed this one. All the parts seem to be based on a separate case and can be read as a stand-alone book. The majority of this book is told from Ann's perspective, so it follows the first-person style of narration. However, some parts are narrated in the third person to give the readers information about the setting and other characters. This felt just right as I was not only able to get an inside look into Ann's thoughts and feelings but also did not lose track of the overall backdrop.

Although I prefer crime and mystery books without any involvement of romance in it, I like how the author has used these themes here. Instead of chapters, there are numbered headings that divide the book into different parts. It's a fast-paced mystery with only 176 pages and can be just the book when you need something suspenseful but light at the same time. Steer clear of this one if you are into action-packed mysteries and cannot tolerate the thought of romance or dating getting in the middle of a crime-solving session.

The only upsetting thing about the book for me is its editing. There are a number of errors that can be easily rectified. It looks as if the book is not professionally edited, and I would highly recommend the author to get it properly edited and formatted. While it didn't interfere with my enjoyment of the book, I really despise the fact that these errors often overshadow a great read. Other than that, I don't have anything to complain about the read and would recommend it to those who are into romance and light-hearted crime mysteries. There is some mature content but those are mainly towards the end of the book and are not explicit.

I rate the book 3 out of 4 stars for its engaging storyline, unpredictable mystery, and a well-developed lead character, and I'm taking away a star due to the blatant editing errors.

Detective Ann Morgan and The Boxer College Murder: second edition
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"Words dazzle and deceive because they are mimed by the face. But black words on a white page are the soul laid bare."

-Guy de Maupassant

Dee_218
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dee-218.html
Latest Review: Empowered by Dominica Lumazar

Post by Dee_218 » 06 Jul 2019, 07:45

Thank you for a great review. I love suspense novels however investigative ones are not really my thing. But the mix of romance is interesting. Sounds like a great read without the mentioned errors.

Michelle Fred
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-fred.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Michelle Fred » 06 Jul 2019, 08:07

I enjoy romance a lot and mystery isn't such a bad thing too. I think I will enjoy the book.

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 60
Currently Reading: Sunshine at the Academy
Bookshelf Size: 291
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Rainbow by Lisa Silva

Post by kandscreeley » 06 Jul 2019, 10:10

Wow! Who killed the professor? What's with the chemistry equation? I'm sorry that more time wasn't taken to edit the book properly. Still, it does sound interesting. Thanks.
Good books, like good friends, are few and chosen; the more select, the more enjoyable.
-Louisa May Alcott
Latest Review: Rainbow by Lisa Silva

Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Code Name: Dodger by Eric Auxier

Post by Magnify3 » 06 Jul 2019, 14:40

I like whodunit type of books! Poor Anne it is not enough to want to solve a mystery but she has to keep her head out of the clouds because of three guys. I wonder how she solves the mystery. Thanks for the review!

Ekta Kumari

Post by Ekta Kumari » 07 Jul 2019, 14:15

Dee_218 wrote:
06 Jul 2019, 07:45
Thank you for a great review. I love suspense novels however investigative ones are not really my thing. But the mix of romance is interesting. Sounds like a great read without the mentioned errors.
Thank you for the feedback :tiphat:
Michelle Fred wrote:
06 Jul 2019, 08:07
I enjoy romance a lot and mystery isn't such a bad thing too. I think I will enjoy the book.
I'm sure you will. Thanks for stopping by :)
"Words dazzle and deceive because they are mimed by the face. But black words on a white page are the soul laid bare."

-Guy de Maupassant

Ekta Kumari

Post by Ekta Kumari » 07 Jul 2019, 14:20

kandscreeley wrote:
06 Jul 2019, 10:10
Wow! Who killed the professor? What's with the chemistry equation? I'm sorry that more time wasn't taken to edit the book properly. Still, it does sound interesting. Thanks.
Magnify3 wrote:
06 Jul 2019, 14:40
I like whodunit type of books! Poor Anne it is not enough to want to solve a mystery but she has to keep her head out of the clouds because of three guys. I wonder how she solves the mystery. Thanks for the review!
Thank you for commenting :tiphat:

-Guy de Maupassant

Ekta Swarnkar
Favorite Book: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-swarnkar.html
Latest Review: The King of May by Matthew Tysz

Post by Ekta Swarnkar » 07 Jul 2019, 21:47

I'm always fascinated with the detective series and I'm sure I will enjoy this one. Amazing review! 😊

Ekta Kumari

Post by Ekta Kumari » 08 Jul 2019, 04:01

Ekta Swarnkar wrote:
07 Jul 2019, 21:47
I'm always fascinated with the detective series and I'm sure I will enjoy this one. Amazing review! 😊
Thank you for the feedback. I hope you get to read the book and enjoy it as much as I did.

-Guy de Maupassant

allbooked+
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 55
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allbooked.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by allbooked+ » 09 Jul 2019, 07:24

I love detective books and this one sounds terrific. Sad that there is a need for better editing! I will probably still check it out.

Ekta Kumari

Post by Ekta Kumari » 09 Jul 2019, 10:47

allbooked+ wrote:
09 Jul 2019, 07:24
I love detective books and this one sounds terrific. Sad that there is a need for better editing! I will probably still check it out.
I was also upset to witness many punctuation errors, since I would've given this book a perfect rating if not for those. However, if you can overlook it, I would definitely recommend you to try this as you enjoy detective books.

-Guy de Maupassant

danielleamy
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 54
Favorite Book: The Handmaid's Tale
Currently Reading: All Together Dead
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danielleamy.html
Latest Review: Chopped by Bip Wetherell

Post by danielleamy » 09 Jul 2019, 10:59

Ekta Kumari wrote:
03 Jul 2019, 12:57
It's a fast-paced mystery with only 176 pages and can be just the book when you need something suspenseful but light at the same time.
This is just what I'm looking for! I've read plenty of gritty crime novels lately and this sounds like a great read. Fab review thanks :)
All the reading she had done had given her a view of life that they had never seen - Matilda, Roald Dahl

Ekta Kumari

Post by Ekta Kumari » 09 Jul 2019, 11:08

danielleamy wrote:
09 Jul 2019, 10:59
Ekta Kumari wrote:
03 Jul 2019, 12:57
It's a fast-paced mystery with only 176 pages and can be just the book when you need something suspenseful but light at the same time.
This is just what I'm looking for! I've read plenty of gritty crime novels lately and this sounds like a great read. Fab review thanks :)
I hope you enjoy the read. Thanks for stopping by :)

-Guy de Maupassant

juliusotieno02
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 155
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 214
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusotieno02.html
Latest Review: Empowered by Dominica Lumazar

Post by juliusotieno02 » 09 Jul 2019, 20:08

I've read so many crime mystery novel,but this once looks like it's unique since it has some romance elements. i really hope the murderer was brought to book. thanks for the review.
Bury your dictionaries

The words you need
are in your heart
and the eyes
of the people
you love.

Nerea
2019 Reading Goal: 15
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 100
2018 Reading Goal: 10
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 80
Currently Reading: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient
Bookshelf Size: 234
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: The Employee Millionaire by H. J. Chammas

Post by Nerea » 09 Jul 2019, 22:11

Sounds like a thrilling story the book got. I love reading crime and mystery books. I might consider this book.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”