Official Review: Parkland by D.P. Conway

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Cooperative Lives by Patrick Finegan

Official Review: Parkland by D.P. Conway

Post by mmm17 » 01 Jul 2019, 15:13

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Parkland" by D.P. Conway.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Parkland: The Untold Story, written by D.P. Conway, is a balanced, well-written, and gripping thriller based on actual events. It tells the story of a tormented and violent kid named Nikolas Cruz, whose adoption by an older couple happens in strange circumstances. After struggling through his troublesome childhood and teenage years, he ends up committing a heinous crime – a terrible high school shooting.

The story revolves around the archetypical theme of the battle between good and evil. Throughout the novel, virtuous guardian angels combat dark, malignant creatures. The protagonist hears these demons’ voices telling him to commit atrocious deeds, and he obeys them. Much to the despair of his mother Lynda, Nikolas’ aggressive personality gets increasingly worse after he becomes a teenager. The gravity and dreadfulness of his mental state and his misdeeds quickly escalate, and he gets expelled from high school.

I found the book to be a positive surprise. The author skillfully blends fascinating elements. There is fantasy, with other-worldly realms, angels, and demons; There are also realistic topics such as teenage depression, self-mutilation, and gun violence. I enjoyed how the erudite theological and historical references to Christianity get woven into the plot. I found Father Ricardo’s quest to recover ancient relics and use them to exorcise Nikolas’ demons fascinating. The allusions to the biblical story of John the Baptist were well developed.

In my opinion, the real thrill of the novel lies in the question of how the protagonist's predicament abominably impacted everyone around him. Conway masterfully portrayed the devastating effect Nikolas had on his family and neighbors, for instance. The author's writing style is witty and elaborate, with subtle yet incisive criticism of how authorities mishandled warning signs and failed to prevent an announced tragedy.

If I had to mention a negative aspect, I would say the book progresses a bit slowly in the beginning. I felt that the description of the protagonist’s childhood could have been more concise. There were quite a few episodes of childish brawls between Nikolas and his brother Zachary that felt unnecessary and repetitive. But this did not diminish the novel’s merit.

Lastly, I rate the book 4 out of 4 stars. Overall, it was a fast and entertaining read. The editing seemed clean and professional, with no errors to point out. The story flows smoothly and elegantly, and I think it would make a great movie. I would recommend it to anyone who is a fan of thrillers. Readers who are put off by violence might not like it.

Parkland
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Michelle Fred
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-fred.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Michelle Fred » 06 Jul 2019, 08:43

Our actions don't just affect us, but those around us. Judging by your review, I believe this is a great book. I can imagine the misery and pain Nikolas brought upon his family by his actions, but violence is off-putting to me. Needless to say I won't be reading. Thanks for your review.

Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: The Diaries of Abi Rhode by S.L. LeClair

Post by Cecilia_L » 06 Jul 2019, 10:09

This sounds like a very intriguing story and your engaging review further piqued my interest. Thanks for the recommendation.

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 48
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 94
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading: Scorched
Bookshelf Size: 283
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Lone Star Odyssey by David Wilson

Post by kandscreeley » 06 Jul 2019, 10:16

I saw this on the review list; it was quite intriguing. I'm glad it was well done, and now I'm bummed I didn't review it. Seems like one I should read. Thanks.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Nyambura Githui
2018 Reading Goal: 7
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 128
2017 Reading Goal: 0
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nyambura-githui.html
Latest Review: The End-Time Foretellers by Ran Weber

Post by Nyambura Githui » 06 Jul 2019, 14:57

Intriguing storyline but I'll pass. Wonderful review.

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 65
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 248
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: Make Me Tick by Nick Carr

Post by kdstrack » 06 Jul 2019, 16:27

This would be an emotional read. Nevertheless, it might give insight into how these situations develop and occur. Thanks for your intriguing review.

bmfought
Currently Reading: Ripley's Shout Outs #1
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bmfought.html
Latest Review: Geraldine by Edmund M Aristone

Post by bmfought » 11 Jul 2019, 23:12

Thanks for the great review. It will go on my to-be-read list!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”