Official Review: Twenty-Five Shades of Graves

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
sonya01
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 20
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonya01.html
Latest Review: Twenty-Five Shades of Graves by Jeremy Cobbold

Official Review: Twenty-Five Shades of Graves

Post by sonya01 » 24 Jun 2019, 09:31

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Twenty-Five Shades of Graves" by Jeremy Cobbold.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Twenty-Five Shades of Graves by Jeremy Cobbold is a dark, psychological crime novel which takes us into the psyche of a seriously troubled man. Christopher Jones has always harbored dark thoughts and a deep hatred for any form of authority. His favorite pastime is meandering through graveyards, seeking solace amongst the dead, purely because living people are such a bitter disappointment to him. As a youth, he sustained a serious head injury while trying to set fire to his school. This has resulted in some deeply psychotic episodes, and Chris has a very hard time fitting in. Under the care of a psychologist, he makes attempts to manage his issues. He tries soothing his brooding anger with trips to museums and art galleries and makes a few half-hearted attempts at socializing with his colleagues. After numerous failed jobs, we find him working as a civil servant in a government employment office - a job he hates. The routine bores him, his managers are a source of contempt, and he is continuously irked by the bureaucratic rules and regulations that he is required to comply with.

The final straw comes in the form of a new dress code introduced by management. Chris objects to being told he must wear a tie to work, and he stubbornly refuses. Things begin escalating rapidly. After venting his radical opinions online, Christopher is suspended from both his job and his union and faces dismissal. Alone and seething with fury, he turns to an enigmatic new friend called Nick for support.

Nick gives Christopher the confidence to formulate a plan. Vengeance for all the years of injustice and petty nitpicking is about to be exacted in a carefully planned and diabolically vengeful way.

The character of Christopher is beautifully developed in this story. He is portrayed as an angry and opinionated man, with extreme political views, who is completely intolerant of almost everyone and everything. Chris hates all kinds of authority and seizes any opportunity to belittle and humiliate people. He is a loner with few friends and finds himself increasingly unable and unwilling to control his aberrant tendencies.

Strangely, the author has given this unlikable person some finer qualities, such as a fondness for nature and also for animals. These are unexpected given his character. Chris is also remarkably well-read and quotes Sir Thomas More and Dylan Thomas, amongst others. He also has a wry sense of humor. For example, he makes a veiled reference to a well-known television personality who might have mistaken Chris for a ‘pervert or a weirdo’ because of his fascination with graves. Because of the notoriety of the personality in question, this made me smile.

I really enjoyed the way the story begins slowly, but then the tension mounts and the reader can feel Christopher’s frustration escalating. It becomes increasingly evident that something significant is about to happen. The story is told in the first person narrative, which is not ordinarily my preferred point of view, but it is ideal for this particular book. I really enjoyed the way the narrative draws the reader into the story, almost like a co-conspirator. This is a very engaging technique. The plot development was well-thought out and the final twist in the tale was quite captivating. I cannot fault the author for the way this story evolves.

I can, however, fault the editing. There were many grammatical errors, mostly in the form of misplaced capitals, but there were also many occasions where commas and quotation marks were used incorrectly. I also noted a few spelling mistakes. My progress through the book was slowed somewhat, having to navigate through these errors, and I found this disappointing. The formatting of the book was also strange, with line spaces after every couple of lines. This was probably due to the version I was reading, but I found it also inhibited the flow of the narrative.

For readers who are looking for a fast-paced, traditional crime novel, this is not that kind of book at all. Rather, it would appeal to readers curious about the workings of a deranged mind and to those who wonder what makes a person descend into madness and violence. It’s a thought-provoking study on how psychotic tendencies can fester and grow if left unchecked. Anyone interested in psychology would love this one.

There is a fair amount of profanity in the book. Also, the irreverent and subversive content is not appropriate for impressionable younger people, so I would recommend it only for more mature readers. People who are easily offended by statements that are not politically correct might want to give this one a miss.

I loved this book and realized early on that it is not a story to be raced through. As a taphophile myself, I found Christopher a fascinating character and I enjoyed ‘meeting’ him. Unfortunately, due to the errors, I cannot award the book a perfect rating in its present format. This is a great pity as it certainly would deserve it. It will be a rating of 3 out of 4 stars for this one, but I have every faith that once the editor has done his job it will be an excellent read. I look forward to more stories from this author.

Twenty-Five Shades of Graves
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Kathleen Wolfe
Favorite Book: The Hour Game
Currently Reading: Miss Marple's Final Cases
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kathleen-wolfe.html
Latest Review: Arsenic and Old Men by Glenn Ickler

Post by Kathleen Wolfe » 13 Sep 2019, 10:08

This sounds like a really interesting read. I like that it gives you a little bit of a peek into a troubled mind and I am into psychology so this should be just my cup of tea. Thanks for the review!

Uncle John
Currently Reading: It Strikes Again
Bookshelf Size: 18

Post by Uncle John » 13 Sep 2019, 16:13

As a medical student my interest just went up, it is one of the books we are recommedend to read just to understand the psychological and metal state of an human being. Great review.

Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 284
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: Raven Of Isfahan by Mahnaz badihian

Post by Cecilia_L » 13 Sep 2019, 16:33

This sounds intriguing, and the title is clever. Thanks for the interesting review.

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 81
Currently Reading: Sunshine at the Academy
Bookshelf Size: 311
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: What Darkens the Hour by Jo-Anne Barker

Post by kandscreeley » 13 Sep 2019, 18:01

Christopher seems like a realistic character that would annoy me greatly. I could see this being a book where I would want to talk to myself constantly. It's too bad about the errors, but at least they're fixable. Thanks.
Good books, like good friends, are few and chosen; the more select, the more enjoyable.
-Louisa May Alcott

waqarcyber
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by waqarcyber » 14 Sep 2019, 23:07

The story revolves around Christopher a realistic character. He have his own extreme political view and he never have his dream job. He is not happy about his life and his mental state is very different from environment. A good story from normal everyday life to suspense. I will give it 4 star review.

Nizar Ali Shah
Currently Reading: Tourist Trap
Bookshelf Size: 82

Post by Nizar Ali Shah » 15 Sep 2019, 02:59

"Twenty -Five Shades of Graves" by Jeremy Cobbold is a dark,psychological crime novel which takes into account the psyche of a man who is faced with that problems.His favorite part time is going through the graveyard and gets solace from the graveyard.According to Christopher all living human beings are a great nuisance for him,who created for him difficulties of all kinds and he is disappointed from them.One of his enigmatic friend supports him in his difficult psychic time and at the same time Christopher wants to take revenge from all those who had troubled him.Christopher is intolerant of everyone and every things and in this way he always challenged during his jobs every authority and got dismissed from jobs and thus his life became miserable because this was his own mental state of affairs

corinaelena
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corinaelena.html
Latest Review: How to Define Yourself by Chuck Clifton

Post by corinaelena » 15 Sep 2019, 10:59

Great review! My comment here will have nothing to do with it though, and I hope that is ok. Did nobody make a very fast and weird connection from the title to 50 Shades of Grey? I didn't appreciate that book at all and I honestly thought, just from the title, that this might turn out to be either a parody or a commentary on the book. While gliding through the review at first, I even saw the main character has a name that sounds similar to Christian. This is very weird, and I think naming the book this way does a great disservice to the potential popularity of this novel.

Meg98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg98.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by Meg98 » 15 Sep 2019, 22:18

This sounds very interesting and unique... I love psychological thrillers. It is a shame about the errors but hopefully with another round of proof-reading they can be fixed. Thanks for this great review!
Oh love, never be afraid to fly :wink2:

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 115
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: E-M-P Honeymoon
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: Triumphant Ride by Herman Cajigas jr.

Post by kdstrack » 16 Sep 2019, 17:10

Your description of Christopher is very intriguing. This sounds too dark for me as I am not a taphophile. I did enjoy your insightful comments on this book. Thanks!

AvidBibliophile
Currently Reading: It All Comes Back to You
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by AvidBibliophile » 20 Sep 2019, 16:51

Ooh, a co-conspiratorial narrative with a vengeful villain?! Sounds enthralling indeed, and I am very much an appreciator of the dark and deranged psyche, for the mind mazes are endless. Perhaps that is why I was drawn to become a Psychiatrist and work with personalities like this firsthand. Greatly appreciate your thoughtful review and forewarning about the editing hindrances to flow, plan to add this title to my "Want to Read" shelf!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”