Official Review: Katalyst by Harriet Redfern

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
kimmyschemy06
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 90
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 168
2017 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 136
Currently Reading: Watchwords
Bookshelf Size: 652
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: The Other Side Of Healing by Bonnie Fogler

Official Review: Katalyst by Harriet Redfern

Post by kimmyschemy06 » 21 Jun 2019, 01:57

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Katalyst" by Harriet Redfern.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Katalyst is the exciting and the mind-boggling third book in Kat’s Gift Thrillers created by Harriet Redfern.

After another spectacular victory by star racehorse, Tabikat, at the previously held Cheltenham Gold Cup, his trainer and the squire of Sampfield Manor, James Sampfield Peveril, strongly feels that the talented racehorse is up to the challenge of the jump racing Triple Crown.

Meanwhile, horse breeder and former jockey, Eoghan Foley, is determined to find the one who destroyed his career and caused his family so much grief. In order to accomplish that, however, he needs all the help he can get, including those of Frank Stanley and his team, Isabella Hall and George Harvey, racing tipster Stevie Stone, superstar jockey Merlin ap Rhys, and James Sampfield Peveril and the Sampfield Grange staff.

With forty-five chapters and an Epilogue, the book is a fast-paced thriller and is told in the third-person perspective. More than the excitement of the Triple Crown, the series of events: a violent attack on a jockey; a threat to Tabikat; a horse-doping incident; and the sale of Katalyst, the sensational, three-year-old colt from Feirm Enda, among others, will keep the readers on the edge of their seats and their eyes glued to the page. The author successfully brings up a multitude of subjects including revenge, drug dealing, horse doping, organized crime, and terrorism.

Fans of Tabikat will find themselves holding their breath and cheering him on as the author adeptly takes the readers to the exciting and suspenseful, albeit, dangerous world of horseracing. The jumps of the horses, the fences they overcome, the gestures by the jockeys, and the animation and noise of the excited spectators are described by the author in vivid detail.

The plot is developed by introducing a new, and usually unexpected, revelation or twist in almost every chapter that leads to an explosive climax and a satisfying denouement. Fans of the entire book series may find it difficult to say good bye to their favorite characters. For me, that would be James Sampfield Peveril, the reserved but very helpful and cooperative horse trainer, closely followed by Merlin ap Rhys. Merlin may be arrogant and a bit narcissistic, but he is good at what he does, passionate even, and he genuinely cares about horses.

Needless to say, I enjoyed this book immensely. The part I like most is how the author brings everything together seamlessly, like explaining the connection of a crime committed thirty years ago to the present events. It says much about her as a writer.

However, the series, somehow, requires a good memory as some readers may find it difficult to remember all the names including those of the horses as well as the horseracing events. Moreover, there are several noticeable errors within the entire book mostly typos (like Sam opinion and its well buried).

I, therefore, rate it 3 out of 4 stars. It is exciting, suspenseful, and very enjoyable. I recommend it to readers who enjoy suspense and thriller novels. It is also strongly recommended to read the entire series in proper order.

Katalyst
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 67
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: Make Me Tick by Nick Carr

Post by kdstrack » 22 Jun 2019, 10:57

This seems like an exciting series for horse lovers and animal lovers in general. The information about horse doping would be interesting and impactful. I enjoyed your descriptions of the plot, the characters, and the series. Great review!

Soonerchick656
Currently Reading: Keep You Safe
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-soonerchick656.html
Latest Review: The Easter Make Believers by Finn Bell

Post by Soonerchick656 » 22 Jun 2019, 21:58

I'm very much against horse racing so I do not think I would enjoy this book. However, I think the reviewer did a great job of describing the book and how intense it could be. I think typos and grammatical errors that stand out, take away from a story and I appreciate that the reviewer pointed that out in the review. Great reviews!

kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 » 23 Jun 2019, 22:26

kdstrack wrote:
22 Jun 2019, 10:57
This seems like an exciting series for horse lovers and animal lovers in general. The information about horse doping would be interesting and impactful. I enjoyed your descriptions of the plot, the characters, and the series. Great review!
Thank you very much! It's a great book and I love it.

kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 » 23 Jun 2019, 22:33

Soonerchick656 wrote:
22 Jun 2019, 21:58
I'm very much against horse racing so I do not think I would enjoy this book. However, I think the reviewer did a great job of describing the book and how intense it could be. I think typos and grammatical errors that stand out, take away from a story and I appreciate that the reviewer pointed that out in the review. Great reviews!
Thank you very much. I enjoyed the book immensely despite the flaws.

Shadiid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shadiid.html
Latest Review: Melissa & Kasho by Camilla Chance

Post by Shadiid » 24 Jun 2019, 20:19

Seems like a beautiful story ,but I do not think I'd enjoy it because like you said "must have a very good memory"...Just cannot read something and halfway through the book I've already forgotten something.. pointless

kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 » 24 Jun 2019, 23:44

Shadiid wrote:
24 Jun 2019, 20:19
Seems like a beautiful story ,but I do not think I'd enjoy it because like you said "must have a very good memory"...Just cannot read something and halfway through the book I've already forgotten something.. pointless
Beautiful story, indeed. There are just too many details to remember like names of people, horses, racing events, etc. Thank you for the comment.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”