Review by suprabhas -- Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
suprabhas
Currently Reading: The Copyist
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suprabhas.html
Latest Review: Restoring Your Child's Mental Health by Gracelyn Guyol

Review by suprabhas -- Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by suprabhas »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Gringo" by Dan "Tito" Davis.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Peter Conti has done a great job of weaving a nail biting tale around the life of Don Davis. It is an awesome fugitive story, that takes you on a roller coaster ride through some of the most inaccessible parts of the world.

You are plunged into the lives of the most dangerous drug peddlers and assassins. Yet you feel compelled to empathize with them and wish for their well- being. The part were Medellin families are graduated with false passports and are beaming with joy for the opportunity of a better life in spite of the risks is heart breaking. There are a number of such heart breaking recollections from Latin America and India that make you feel lucky for where you are at.

There, however are a couple of anecdotes that seem impossible. for example,On the bus to Mexico, where he talks about the ticket collector performing acrobatics on top of the seat rails, while he has mentioned the lack of head space in the prior paragraph or the woman delivering twins. These make me want to take the rest of his narrative with a 'pinch of salt'.

I would say that the book makes for a thrilling reading experience. The books makes drug peddling sound very exciting and lucrative while down-playing the dangers.

I rate this 3 out of 4 stars.

Gringo
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like suprabhas's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”