Official Review: Houseboat Row by J P Sheehan

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
greenstripedgiraffe
Currently Reading: Heart of anger
Bookshelf Size: 257
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Houseboat Row by J P Sheehan

Official Review: Houseboat Row by J P Sheehan

Post by greenstripedgiraffe » 06 Jun 2019, 14:36

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Houseboat Row" by J P Sheehan.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Houseboat Row by J. P. Sheehan has all the elements that should be included in a high-speed murder mystery. Hidden underneath the tourist veneer of the Key West islands, bodies are piling up. Bud Roth, former New York City detective, gets involved when his sweetheart's son is accused of murder. Can Bud clear the name of a drug-dealing thief? What is the connection between an exotic dancer and a homeless man? Can a cold murder case be linked to present-day murders? Who is the shadow man pulling the strings, and what is his motive? If Bud can manage not to tick off the local police too badly as well as survive being kidnapped and left for dead, he might put the clues together and solve the mystery.

On the one hand, Houseboat Row should be an easy read. At first blush, it seems like the perfect novel to bring to the beach. However, I found several blockers to true enjoyment. First, the author included so many characters, that I never was able to keep them all straight. From the local authorities to the myriad of pub owners and pub frequenters, my head was spinning. In the middle of all that, the main character got on my nerves. One of his main interrogation techniques was to get someone drunk so that the information would flow easily. Unfortunately, Bud didn't count on himself becoming so drunk that he could not remember a single bit of information the next day. This happened more than once. I don't mind a confident character who is comfortable in his own skin, but Bud was over-confident to the point of being cocky. He often mocked those he felt to be inferior to himself.

Another issue was the overall pace of the book. A huge portion of the book was devoted to finding clues. However, the clues rarely seemed to help the detective out. When the loose ends finally did start coming together, it felt somewhat like a data dump. At times, the book was exciting and hard to put down, but other times it seemed to drag a bit. I also felt that the author could have developed the characters to a greater degree. The main character is drawn fairly well, but his sweetheart seemed to just appear now and again and be worried about her no-good son. She did not feel relatable to me. Most of the other characters were the same. Even the girl whose murder spurred the investigation did not feel realistic, despite all the descriptions given of her by those who knew her in life.

On a more positive note, the author definitely has developed a good plot line. The mystery truly is difficult. Throughout the book, it was impossible for me to decide "who done it." I did not see the ending coming! Although unexpected, the author wrapped up the book perfectly.

The characters used a lot of colorful language, which was probably meant to make them more realistic, but causes me to hesitate in recommending the book to a younger audience. An additional problem with recommending the book is an emphasis on who had sex with who. While this emphasis was important to the overall plot, it causes me to feel this is geared more toward an adult audience.

I also felt that this book was not professionally edited. I found a number of spelling and grammar errors throughout. If you can overlook an uneven pace, underdeveloped characters, and sketchy editing for the sake of a murder mystery, you may enjoy this book. For me, I would rate it 2 out of 4 stars.

Houseboat Row
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like greenstripedgiraffe's review? Post a comment saying so!
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase

Scarlet Nicoll
Currently Reading: Screamcatcher
Bookshelf Size: 180
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scarlet-nicoll.html
Latest Review: The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy Book 1 by Claire Youmans

Post by Scarlet Nicoll » 09 Jun 2019, 03:43

To many unanswered questions, but I do agree with you: large quantity of disorganized characters do damage a great read. Thank you for the head's up!

Fazzier
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 20
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fazzier.html
Latest Review: A Police Action by A. A. Freda

Post by Fazzier » 09 Jun 2019, 04:09

This book sounds interesting, and it seems it would have even been more interesting if had an even pace, well-developed characters, and was professionally edited. I'm glad that it had a surprising end that is perfectly wrapped up, too. What else can I look for in a high-speed murder mystery! Thank you for this thorough review.

Stephanie Elizabeth
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 60
Currently Reading: Cynthia and Dan
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: The Grey World by Bri McKay

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth » 09 Jun 2019, 11:12

I am sorry to hear about the clues that took away from the story and the I introduction of too many characters. The premise sounds really interesting though. Thanks for the honest review!

Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 180
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: A Bloody Book by Chris Bowen

Post by Wyland » 10 Jun 2019, 07:04

Looks like a good premise but underdeveloped on the pacing and characterization. Thanks for the thorough review

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 41
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 94
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading: Scorched
Bookshelf Size: 275
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by kandscreeley » 10 Jun 2019, 12:26

A true hard to figure out whodunnit is hard to find, so the author seems to excel in that aspect. However, I do very much dislike when there are so many characters. There's just no way to keep them all straight. I hope the author can do some revisions and get rid of some unnecessary ones. Thanks!
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 56
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: The Engine Woman's Light
Bookshelf Size: 239
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: An Unexpected Mess by Marie Washtag

Post by kdstrack » 12 Jun 2019, 18:43

Bud seems like he is a well-developed character and could be brought back in other mysteries. The rest of the things you mention take away from this detective and weaken the story. Interesting review. Thanks.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”