Review by GHOSTFRIEND -- The Easter Make Believers

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
GHOSTFRIEND
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ghostfriend.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Review by GHOSTFRIEND -- The Easter Make Believers

Post by GHOSTFRIEND »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Easter Make Believers" by Finn Bell.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Easter Make Believers by Finn Bell is an exciting and suspenseful thriller. The plot is set in New Zealand and the book turns out to be exceptionally well planned and well executed.

The story gains pace quickly as we see detectives Nick Cooper and Tobe White heading to a crime scene where a simple family, the Chen family has been taken hostage in their own house by five gunmen. The police encompassing the house is able to take down most of the gunmen. On breaking into the house the detectives are unable to find the father of the family and they recognise the dead gunmen as gang leaders.

Where is the father? Why were they taken hostage?

The story has been narrated alternately between the first-person perspectives of Detective Nick Cooper and the hostage, and third-person perspective of another narrator.

In between the chapters there are few short chapters which provides us with a very detailed description of a snowstorm which is about to hit the town. This aspect intensifies the story and the readers are drawn to it.

In my opinion the writer has done a good job by including chapters from the perspective of the hostage. In this way the readers are able to get a view from the detective's perspective aswell as the hostage's perspective. That allows the readers to connect to the story in a more interactive manner.

The detective duo of Nick and Tobe adds a charming touch to the story. We see them often having philosophical thoughts and their discussions about parenthood, society and life gives the readers a few things to think about. It is evident from their relation that they are working together for quite some time now and are well aware of each others ways.

My favourite part of the story are the hostage and kidnapping scenes. They have been very well planned. The writer seems to have given importance to every single details and has provided us with only few information to build up the excitement and suspense level. The ending of the book is totally unexpected and it left me speechless. This is undoubtedly one of the best books I've read in this genre. I'll rate this book 4 out of 4 stars.

There was nothing i could not like in this book. Initially, the narration from the perspective of the various characters were a bit confusing but then, once I understood the context, it was as clear as water.

I found only three errors in the book but they do not hinder your reading, so I won't deduct any star. I'll suggest this book to fans of suspense thrillers and especially to young adults who love to read about hostage situations. I'm sure this book will not disappoint anyone.

The Easter Make Believers
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like GHOSTFRIEND's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”