Official Review: Miller's View by Marlene W Potts

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
ElizaBeth Adams
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 75
Currently Reading: The Tattooist of Auschwitz
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-adams.html
Latest Review: SNEAKY The Hairy Mountain Monster Goes to the Bahamas by Norma Fleagane

Official Review: Miller's View by Marlene W Potts

Post by ElizaBeth Adams » 15 May 2019, 09:00

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Miller's View" by Marlene W Potts.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Ever wish you could look into the past to determine what really happened in some consequential moment? Maybe you still ponder the identity of the person who egged your car, or who vandalized your locker, or something more serious, like who committed that murder. Detective Jonathan Miller has such a tool at his disposal. In Miller’s View: The Case of the Blue Diamonds, by Marlene W. Potts, Miller is the owner of a pair of rose-tinted glasses that allow him to be an eyewitness to the crimes he is investigating. However, the snippets he sees don’t give him all the answers. He still has plenty to do on his own, including discovering who he can and cannot trust. These glasses also connect him to a Priestess, Daeva Keket, who brings her own forces of power and magic to the table.

This book is the third in a series, and can also stand alone. In this installment Detective Jonathan Miller has found the love of his life, Callie St. Claire. They become engaged, and all seems to be going well until Jonathan’s brother, Victor, calls on him to investigate the blue diamonds that are being smuggled through his warehouse. A web of deceit and danger has been spun, and Miller must untangle the clues. The more he digs into the smuggling ring, the more connections he discovers between it and his and Callie’s families. Will he be able to keep Callie safe, and will he and Callie still have a relationship when this is all over?

There are some high points to this novel. The premise is complex and intriguing. The guilty parties are identified early in the story, but impactful events such as Callie’s kidnapping, another attack on Callie, and the homicide of a cop investigating the case, fuel the plot to the end. Mysterious subplots relating to the main characters’ families also contribute positively to the story arc. Despite the criminal nature of the novel, no foul language was used. The author included enough information from previous books for me to be able to follow this one without feeling lost. I liked the author’s character development the most. The main characters had a well-developed backstory. The relationship between Jonathan and Callie was written well. Problems of trust and security arose in their relationship lending it depth and credibility. Love scenes were included, but were tastefully done in a fade to black style. Despite these strengths, the novel fell flat in some others areas.

Major formatting issues were present within the Kindle version of this book. Line breaks in odd places mess with the flow of the story. While this is annoying, it's not the worst part. Metaphorically speaking, this book is Swiss cheese. Several sentences stop mid-line, right in the middle of a thought, and then the rest of the sentence is just gone. Reading it was like playing a skewed game of Mad Libs. The sentences that are there in completion are well-written and engaging, leaving me to believe something dreadful happened with the formatting. This occurs frequently through the entirety of the book, and was what I liked least. This flaw left me no other option than to deduct a star from the book's rating.

Additionally, there are some other problems. The rose-tinted glasses and the Priestess play a large role in the set-up of the story. They are also used some at the end. However, there is a significant chunk of the middle of the plot where neither are mentioned or used. Consequently, I forgot Miller had these resources at his disposal. There were moments when policework seemed unreal. For example, an apprehended suspect involved in kidnapping Callie was at the hospital for days without a policeman guarding him. Miller also confronts Callie's mother concerning her connection to the smuggling ring with Callie present, and without other officers present. The case itself seemed to be concluded all of a sudden, and some aspects were left dangling. Transitions between scenes were sometimes choppy, and I couldn’t decide how much of this was a problem with the writing, or if it was due to the aforementioned missing lines. In the text that was there, I also noticed an occasional editing mistake with punctuation and improper tense changes. These problems combined warrant the loss of another star.

I give Miller’s View, a 2 out of 4 rating. I cannot currently recommend it to anyone. The pieces of missing writing need to be recovered or re-written. Without this problem, I believe I would have been able to award this book three stars. This narrative is akin to an old house; the bones are good, but substantial renovations are needed.

Miller's View
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ElizaBeth Adams's review? Post a comment saying so!

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 41
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 94
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading: Scorched
Bookshelf Size: 275
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by kandscreeley » 17 May 2019, 09:05

This sounds just a tiny bit like Minority Report. I think the rose glasses are a very unique device to be included. It's just too bad that the author didn't use them to their full potential. I'm probably going to skip this one, at least for the time being. Hopefully, the author can fix the issues and make this one truly stand out. Thanks!
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 219
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: My Thirty Years In New York City by John Joseph Strangi

Post by Cecilia_L » 17 May 2019, 17:15

I particularly dislike stories depicting unrealistic policework, and the missing chunks would also be distracting. Even so, I appreciate your interesting review.

Mbrooks2518
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 33
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 231
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Mbrooks2518 » 17 May 2019, 21:55

I was excited read the beginning of your review. The rose tinted glasses sound cool. But then you said they weren't used as much as they could have been, which is disappointing, so I might skip this one. Thanks for the great review!

ElizaBeth Adams
Latest Review: SNEAKY The Hairy Mountain Monster Goes to the Bahamas by Norma Fleagane

Post by ElizaBeth Adams » 18 May 2019, 08:04

kandscreeley wrote: ↑
17 May 2019, 09:05
This sounds just a tiny bit like Minority Report. I think the rose glasses are a very unique device to be included. It's just too bad that the author didn't use them to their full potential. I'm probably going to skip this one, at least for the time being. Hopefully, the author can fix the issues and make this one truly stand out. Thanks!
The rose-tinted glasses are a pretty cool device. Thanks for stopping by.

ElizaBeth Adams

Post by ElizaBeth Adams » 18 May 2019, 08:06

Cecilia_L wrote: ↑
17 May 2019, 17:15
I particularly dislike stories depicting unrealistic policework, and the missing chunks would also be distracting. Even so, I appreciate your interesting review.
Unrealistic policework is irksome. Thanks for commenting.

ElizaBeth Adams

Post by ElizaBeth Adams » 18 May 2019, 08:07

Mbrooks2518 wrote: ↑
17 May 2019, 21:55
I was excited read the beginning of your review. The rose tinted glasses sound cool. But then you said they weren't used as much as they could have been, which is disappointing, so I might skip this one. Thanks for the great review!
This is a unique concept, especially in a mystery series. Thanks for your comment.

Rachel Lea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-lea.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Rachel Lea » 18 May 2019, 13:29

The lack of realism in how the author describes the policework--especially in a book that specifically revolves around crime--makes me want to pass this one up. But having a pair of glasses that gives the wearer glimpses of the past is a cool idea. Thank you for your review!
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:

Firefawkes
2019 Reading Goal: 60
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-firefawkes.html
Latest Review: The Last Keeper of the Light by Nikki Broadwell

Post by Firefawkes » 18 May 2019, 17:12

That's unfortunate about the missing text! Hopefully the author figures out what happened and restores it, because this book sounds rather interesting! Thanks for your review :)

ElizaBeth Adams

Post by ElizaBeth Adams » 19 May 2019, 21:23

Rachel Lea wrote: ↑
18 May 2019, 13:29
The lack of realism in how the author describes the policework--especially in a book that specifically revolves around crime--makes me want to pass this one up. But having a pair of glasses that gives the wearer glimpses of the past is a cool idea. Thank you for your review!
This author did have some great ideas. Thanks for commenting.

ElizaBeth Adams

Post by ElizaBeth Adams » 19 May 2019, 21:26

Firefawkes wrote: ↑
18 May 2019, 17:12
That's unfortunate about the missing text! Hopefully the author figures out what happened and restores it, because this book sounds rather interesting! Thanks for your review :)
I hope so too. It would be a decent read I believe in its complete form. Thanks for your thoughts.

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 56
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: The Engine Woman's Light
Bookshelf Size: 239
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: Beyond Petra by Mohamed Abueljebain

Post by kdstrack » 19 May 2019, 21:56

Well, I like Swiss cheese - but not like you have described in this book. I wonder if the other books in the series present the same problems. Thanks for your thoughtful review.

Uinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uinto.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Uinto » 20 May 2019, 06:38

I like the character of Detective John Miller because of his skill, not relying entirely on his magical glasses. I also like that the language is also free from obscenities. Thanks for a thorough review.

sarahmarlowe
2019 Reading Goal: 70
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 51
2018 Reading Goal: 70
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading: I am a Warrior
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: For Virginia by Mark R. Brewer
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by sarahmarlowe » 20 May 2019, 16:47

Ever wish you could look into the past to determine what really happened in some consequential moment? Maybe you still ponder the identity of the person who egged your car, or who vandalized your locker, or something more serious, like who committed that murder.
I love your intro here! It caught my attention and made me think about what I'd like to reexamine myself! This book sounds like it could have been a nice read. It's a shame it didn't meet the potential of its fascinating premise. Great review!
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:

ElizaBeth Adams

Post by ElizaBeth Adams » 20 May 2019, 18:40

kdstrack wrote: ↑
19 May 2019, 21:56
Well, I like Swiss cheese - but not like you have described in this book. I wonder if the other books in the series present the same problems. Thanks for your thoughtful review.
I have wondered that as well. Hopefully not. Thanks for stopping by.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”