Official Review: surreal estate by sugar

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 45
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 48
2018 Reading Goal: 40
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 127
2017 Reading Goal: 0
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading: The Subtle Art Of Not Giving A f**k
Bookshelf Size: 347
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: surreal estate by sugar
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: surreal estate by sugar

Post by Bianka Walter » 12 May 2019, 09:25

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "surreal estate" by sugar.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I don’t know too much about real estate. I have always assumed that the agents acquire houses to sell, promote said houses, and get people to buy them. Author and real estate agent, Sugar, writes an intriguing story with suspense and drama surrounding the elite and privileged residents of Palm Beach, Florida. Surreal Estate follows Terri, a meek realtor who manages to land a prestigious mansion owned by Lola May. While beginning to get the mansion into a marketable condition, Terri meets local busybody and neighbour to the May Estate, Vanessa Vaughn. The two women find themselves in hot water after closing up the servitude between the two properties, which leads them to question the severity of their punishment; which, in turn, leads to more questions. Slowly, they unveil secrets that could change the social structure of Palm Beach entirely.

The conversational tone and light-hearted nature of this book made it great fun to read. The author has an amusing way of describing some of the despicable people in her story. An example of this would be the very first line of the book, describing one of her clients:
Terri tried not to stare at Ursula Lurie’s lips, but they were visible from every angle in the slow, mirrored elevator. They were huge. And they weren’t there four days ago. Now they were in some kind of competition with Ursula’s boobs. Anywhere else in the country someone would have already stabbed Ursula with an EpiPen.
This type of humour is found throughout the book, and it made me relate to the characters even more.

I loved the characters. Terri had a very definite development arc. The author built her up only to break her down again. Her constant fight with herself was evident and gave the story layers which I didn’t expect. My favourite character was Ms. Vaughn. In fact, I think she may be one of my favourite characters in a book, ever. She was so easy to imagine, and her personality and brash nature made the story all the more enjoyable. Even the smaller characters were elaborately built to form a wonderful base of people.

The story lagged a bit in the middle. While Terri was trying to get the property into a good enough state to sell, there were a few portions that I felt were drawn out too much. As a realtor herself, Sugar explains the intricacies of what was being done to the house in great detail. Because I don’t have a budding interest in real estate, and because I struggled to picture exactly what the place looked like, I found myself slowing down with my reading through these parts.

Even with the lag, Surreal Estate follows a steady course and builds up to a fantastic close. Unfortunately, however, the book has its fair share of errors. Although they didn’t take away from my reading pleasure, they were, at times, a little hard to ignore. Because of this, I am unable to give this book more than 3 out of 4 stars. With some tightening up of the storyline, and with a good proofread, this book is deserving of a perfect score. I would recommend it to anyone in the real estate industry, as well as to anyone that enjoys really well-designed characters. The characters drive this story – and what a fun ride it was!

surreal estate
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Bianka Walter's review? Post a comment saying so!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss

Rachel Lea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-lea.html
Latest Review: A Roadmap To Career Success by John G Bendt

Post by Rachel Lea » 15 May 2019, 07:48

This sounds like a very entertaining story! I love how you described the two main characters. It's too bad about the grammar errors and the lagging plot towards the middle--hopefully, the author can get all of that fixed. Thank you for your review!
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 36
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 94
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading: Scorched
Bookshelf Size: 271
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Descent of the Phoenix by Morgan Paul Cooper

Post by kandscreeley » 15 May 2019, 08:03

I read this one as well. I felt about like you did; it's a fun, light read, but it's not extremely memorable either. Hopefully the author can fix the errors. Thanks for your thoughts on this one.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

DogoMulla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dogomulla.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by DogoMulla » 15 May 2019, 08:42

Surreal Estate seems like an interesting read. It's true that a lot of queer stuff happens in such neighborhoods as Palm Beach. I can already feel the thrill. Thank you for your insightful review.

ButterscotchCherrie
2019 Reading Goal: 104
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 34
2018 Reading Goal: 104
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 65
2017 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 50
Currently Reading: Adult Children
Bookshelf Size: 255
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-butterscotchcherrie.html
Latest Review: Rule Breakers, Soul Takers (Hell Runners Book 1) by Jacqueline Jayne

Post by ButterscotchCherrie » 15 May 2019, 09:11

That quote you picked out was hilarious! It's a shame the author didn't keep up that pace throughout. Hopefully, she can fix the "shop talk" and errors. Great review.

Bianka Walter

Post by Bianka Walter » 15 May 2019, 09:36

Rachel Lea wrote:
15 May 2019, 07:48
This sounds like a very entertaining story! I love how you described the two main characters. It's too bad about the grammar errors and the lagging plot towards the middle--hopefully, the author can get all of that fixed. Thank you for your review!
Thank YOU for reading my review :)
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss

Bianka Walter

Post by Bianka Walter » 15 May 2019, 09:39

kandscreeley wrote:
15 May 2019, 08:03
I read this one as well. I felt about like you did; it's a fun, light read, but it's not extremely memorable either. Hopefully the author can fix the errors. Thanks for your thoughts on this one.
You're absolutely right. I think, as fun as it was, I won't remember what happened in it down the line.
Thanks so much for your comments!
- Dr. Seuss

Bianka Walter

Post by Bianka Walter » 15 May 2019, 09:42

DogoMulla wrote:
15 May 2019, 08:42
Surreal Estate seems like an interesting read. It's true that a lot of queer stuff happens in such neighborhoods as Palm Beach. I can already feel the thrill. Thank you for your insightful review.
Thank you so much for reading my review :)
I've never been to Palm Beach, but the people did seem a little out of my league!
- Dr. Seuss

Bianka Walter

Post by Bianka Walter » 15 May 2019, 09:46

ButterscotchCherrie wrote:
15 May 2019, 09:11
That quote you picked out was hilarious! It's a shame the author didn't keep up that pace throughout. Hopefully, she can fix the "shop talk" and errors. Great review.
When I jumped onto Amazon to read the sample to see if I wanted to review it - that quote is what sold me.
EpiPen... hilarious!
Thanks so much :)
- Dr. Seuss

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 202
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: The Last Day of Regret by Matthew J Diaz

Post by Cecilia_L » 15 May 2019, 09:56

The story lagged a bit in the middle. While Terri was trying to get the property into a good enough state to sell, there were a few portions that I felt were drawn out too much. As a realtor herself, Sugar explains the intricacies of what was being done to the house in great detail. Because I don’t have a budding interest in real estate, and because I struggled to picture exactly what the place looked like, I found myself slowing down with my reading through these parts.
I think these portions of the story would drag for me too. Still, it is an interesting premise for fiction, and as always, I enjoyed your review. :tiphat:

Ellylion
Favorite Book: Angelology
Currently Reading: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Ellylion » 15 May 2019, 10:09

So, being a professional in the field, the author offers descriptions too detailed for an ordinary reader :) But the well developed characters make this book worth checking out, in my opinion. Thank you for a great review!

Bianka Walter

Post by Bianka Walter » 15 May 2019, 12:53

Cecilia_L wrote:
15 May 2019, 09:56
I think these portions of the story would drag for me too. Still, it is an interesting premise for fiction, and as always, I enjoyed your review. :tiphat:
Thank you, Cecilia!
I appreciate your comments - as always :)
- Dr. Seuss

Bianka Walter

Post by Bianka Walter » 15 May 2019, 12:54

Ellylion wrote:
15 May 2019, 10:09
So, being a professional in the field, the author offers descriptions too detailed for an ordinary reader :) But the well developed characters make this book worth checking out, in my opinion. Thank you for a great review!
I agree - well-developed characters make anything worth reading!
Thanks for commenting :)
- Dr. Seuss

Niski
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-niski.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Niski » 15 May 2019, 13:11

That quote gave me a good chuckle. Thanks for sharing it. And also for your wonderful review!

Bianka Walter

Post by Bianka Walter » 15 May 2019, 13:52

Niski wrote:
15 May 2019, 13:11
That quote gave me a good chuckle. Thanks for sharing it. And also for your wonderful review!
I had a good chuckle myself! Thank you for stopping by :)
- Dr. Seuss

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”