Official Review: Green Asylum

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
SpencerVo
Favorite Book: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencervo.html
Latest Review: Green Asylum by J.E.Kross & Alan Boetticher

Official Review: Green Asylum

Post by SpencerVo » 11 May 2019, 02:35

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Green Asylum" by J.E.Kross & Alan Boetticher.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Fictional criminals kill for various reasons. Some put their nemeses through excruciating pain for vengeance. Others take morbid delight in the suffering of innocent victims to satisfy their own lust and sadism. Nevertheless, Miss Mary Colburn of Green Asylum kills for a sickly and humorous purpose. This novel will take you on an engaging journey through which you will experience complicated emotions: anger, sadness, giddiness, fascination, disgust, and satisfaction.

As a child, Doctor John Rothsford used to be severely beaten and burnt by his alcoholic father. He yearned to escape from that abusive home and all the painful memories. Fortunately, he has found success as a renowned clinical hypnotist to help people in trouble. One day, he encounters one of his colleague’s patients, a little girl named Mary Colburn. Mary is said to display “troubling behavior,” but there is some proof that she is being abused at home. Reminded of his own helpless childhood, John decides to intervene. Using a self-invented technique, he helps her get rid of her anguish in the most shocking way imaginable, all without her conscious acknowledgment.

Years later, Mary is now a reclusive and anxious 21-year-old girl. She spends most of her time with her cat and the lonely widow next door. On her birthday, when Mary finds a leaflet with Doctor John’s name and phone number on it, a wave of inexplicable familiarity and nostalgia hits her. Subsequently, she decides to visit him. Unfortunately, this visitation is the starting point of a series of nauseating deaths.

Green Asylum continuously draws parallels to classic horror figures, such as Frankenstein, werewolves, and vampires. Doctor John, blinded by sentiment, accidentally creates a monster and has to live with the guilt forever. However, the cream of the story is obviously Mary, who is an outstanding antagonist (or protagonist, depending on your viewpoint). I have difficulty selecting words to describe her. Imagine a timid and guilt-ridden introvert who suddenly loses all her humanity. She is girly, naïve, confident, and attractive, but once she feels that her “candies” are being taken away, prepare yourself for the horrendous murder shows. The book juggles between Doctor John’s remorse and Mary’s wickedness seamlessly.

The novel has a focused and captivating plot. The authors, J.E. Kross and Alan Boetticher, know how to create tension and capture the audience’s attention by the straightforward storytelling, strategic suspense, and interesting characterization. They also use staples of the crime genre: an unapologetic psychopath, the precarious side of hypnotism, and of course, gruesome murders. The story has a penchant for subtle twists. Rather than opting for in-your-face turns of events, it drops hints and implications in an understated yet effective way. The ending is excellent; I did not know exactly what to expect, and I was treated with a clever finale.

On the downside, although the book is highly entertaining, it lacks certain depth to be perfectly memorable. Somehow, as horrifying as the murders are, the plot still appears to be “safe” and remains in the comfort zone. Some conflicts and confrontations are resolved too fast since they could have been drawn out longer for suspension’s sake. Detective Rick Farrenger is fairly overlooked. Mary never encounters extreme hardships or true threats, so her “journey” seems too easy and effortless.

Green Asylum is professionally edited. Overall, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars and recommend it to loyal fans of crime fiction and anyone with an interest in hypnotism or the psychology of a psychopath. You should beware of some disgusting scenes that can wear out a faint heart. Also, the book occasionally uses heavy profanities.

Green Asylum
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like SpencerVo's review? Post a comment saying so!
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.

T_stone
2019 Reading Goal: 70
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 15
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 35
Currently Reading: Boy 2 Man
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Winning Baseball: A Simple Game of 10 by Les Gerdin
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone » 12 May 2019, 11:38

The plot of this book seems interesting. Although I love crime fictions, I don't appreciate hypnotism. I guess I'll pass on this one but I have some friends I can recommend it to. Thanks for the review!
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White

Quickstudy
2019 Reading Goal: 300
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 6
Currently Reading: A Witch in Time Saves Nine
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quickstudy.html
Latest Review: The Attuned by Gary B. Haley

Post by Quickstudy » 12 May 2019, 11:48

This book is terrifyingly interesting. Your review of this book, screams tell me more. Yet, I don't have the heart to read such graphic and herrendeous murder.

Great review.

ElizaBeth Adams
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 65
Currently Reading: The Tattooist of Auschwitz
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-adams.html
Latest Review: Miller's View by Marlene W Potts

Post by ElizaBeth Adams » 12 May 2019, 12:14

The plot to this book sounds unique. I like the parallel you drew to Frankenstein. I think this book is a bit more graphic than what I typically read, so I'll pass on it. Thanks for an excellent review.

DogoMulla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dogomulla.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by DogoMulla » 12 May 2019, 13:23

I can comfortably say am a loyal fan of mystery and satire. I can already feel the excitement and anticipation. Thank you for your well-done review.

Rachel Lea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-lea.html
Latest Review: A Roadmap To Career Success by John G Bendt

Post by Rachel Lea » 12 May 2019, 13:31

The premise of this novel sounds fascinating. I love stories that really dig into characters' psychology. Thanks for your review!
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:

Agnes098
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agnes098.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Agnes098 » 12 May 2019, 13:52

Your reviee is wonderful and beautifully written. Unfortunately I'm not a fan of a crime fiction. I'll pass.

Stephanie Elizabeth
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 37
Currently Reading: A Witch in Time Saves Nine
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Being Greta by Maxine Sinclair

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth » 12 May 2019, 14:29

Wonderful review for a horrifying book! This sounds too scary for me (I am a bit of a wimp) and I think I will pass. The Hypnotist aspect of the story is interesting.

Shadiid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shadiid.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is Not What You Think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Shadiid » 12 May 2019, 15:58

I always wonder why someone would commit murder. This is a wonderful review. Would like to read the book for more

Janelle Juncos
Favorite Book: The Unbearable Lightness of Being
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janelle-juncos.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Janelle Juncos » 12 May 2019, 17:14

You sold the book so well in the first few paragraphs, I think I'll have to read it even though it lacks, as you say, a certain depth. Wonderful review!

Letora
2019 Reading Goal: 90
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 34
Favorite Book: The Turn
Currently Reading: The Woven Ring
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by Letora » 12 May 2019, 18:58

This sounds like it could have quite a complicated plot. I'm not sure I would be able to keep everything straight, but it does seem like an interesting read!
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 48
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: Immortals' Requeim
Bookshelf Size: 231
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: Yesterday's Gone by Diane Bardeen

Post by kdstrack » 13 May 2019, 09:54

Oh my! This is not a preferred genre for me, but you have made this book sound extremely interesting. And the cover looks so innocent!! Great review.

SamSim
2019 Reading Goal: 120
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 5
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 24
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samsim.html
Latest Review: Playing Life by Ear by Doris Markland
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by SamSim » 13 May 2019, 14:04

This book, other than the too-rapidly-resolved issues, sounds SO intriguing, but I am WAY too sensitive a reader for stuff like this. I really enjoyed your review though. Thanks!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:

amjohnson13mommy
2019 Reading Goal: 10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amjohnson13mommy.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by amjohnson13mommy » 13 May 2019, 14:13

This sounds like an awesome book! Mary sounds like she may have multiple personalities and I have not read or watched a good MPD story ( Multiple Personality Disorder) in a long time. I am sure I would enjoy Green Asylum.
Thank you for the wonderfully interesting review.
amjohnson13

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 36
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 94
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading: Scorched
Bookshelf Size: 271
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Descent of the Phoenix by Morgan Paul Cooper

Post by kandscreeley » 13 May 2019, 15:23

Even though the resolutions aren't drawn out enough, it sounds like a captivating book. I'm curious where these deaths are coming from and how that has to do with Dr. John and Mary. What did he do to her? I'll have to look into this one further, though I don't usually read books in the horror genre. Thanks!
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”