Official Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
Prisallen
2019 Reading Goal: 104
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 31
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Burying Leo by Helga Gruendler-Schierloh

Official Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum

Post by Prisallen » 08 May 2019, 14:31

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "You Say Goodbye" by Keith Steinbaum.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

You Say Goodbye is a novel written by Keith Steinbaum about a musician by the name of Sean Hightower, whose musical career has been going nowhere. The only thing he had to look forward to was time with his girlfriend. After a temper tantrum at one of his gigs one night, Sean went to her apartment and found her dead. There were two signs on her headboard, one saying hello and the other saying goodbye. She had been raped and murdered by a serial killer, who has been called “The Beatles' Song Murderer”. This is because he leaves messages from Beatles' songs at his murder scenes.

Now, Sean has just found out that he probably has cancer. Thinking he has nothing to live for, he plans his suicide. Unexpectedly, he has a chance meeting with a little girl with cancer, Kayleigh, who lives next door. She has such an indomitable spirit and is struggling so hard to survive that he forgets about plans for suicide.

A police officer from the LAPD calls and asks for his help in finding the serial killer. The officer believes the murderer is someone that Sean and his girlfriend knew. Because he is getting close to putting the pieces of the puzzle together, his own life will become endangered.

Keith Steinbaum, the author, is very good at drawing the reader in and holding his attention until the story is over. You think you have figured out who the murderer is until the next clue throws suspicion at someone else. He gives you one twist after another until the surprise, intense ending occurs. The dialogue between characters is believable and written in everyday language. Occasionally, there is some vulgar language mixed in.

I love the character development in Sean and Kayleigh, and they are my favorite part of the book. Sean is someone who thinks mainly about himself at the beginning of this novel, but he evolves into someone who cares about and goes out of his way to protect and bring happiness to someone else. We get to know Kayleigh as well, and we grow to love her and want what’s best for her. Their interactions are a big part of this story. They are both very likable and relatable. The other minor characters, who are mostly the suspects, are developed as well. We get to learn more and more about them as time goes on, although I didn’t really feel the close attachment that I did with Sean and Kayleigh. Also, the descriptions of the characters were skillfully done.

I really didn’t find much to not like about this story, but, if I had to choose something, it would be the five errors that I found. These are simple things that would be easy to fix, such as a lot trouble instead of a lot of trouble and That’s is why instead of That is why.

Because I thoroughly enjoyed this book and there were very few flaws, I gladly give it 4 out of 4 stars. I think it would be appreciated by readers who like crime dramas and suspense. The occasional vulgar language and the rape at the beginning might make some readers want to avoid it. I don’t think it is suitable for children.

You Say Goodbye
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like Prisallen's review? Post a comment saying so!

Dentarthurdent
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dentarthurdent.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Dentarthurdent » 10 May 2019, 09:02

Oof! Sean's life hurts so much, I feel it from here. It's terrible enough to lose a loved one in such a horrific manner, but to also find out you could be dying too...
The book sounds great, and Kayleigh seems so lovable. Great review!
"I say what it occurs to me to say when I think I hear people say things. More I cannot say"
--Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Stephanie Elizabeth
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 60
Currently Reading: Cynthia and Dan
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: The Grey World by Bri McKay

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth » 10 May 2019, 09:19

That's terrifying, a serial killer that leaves notes taken from Beatles songs? It sounds like Sean has been hit with some terrible luck, but I am glad the story turns around. Sean and Kayleigh's friendship sounds heart-warming! Wonderful review!

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 41
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 94
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading: Scorched
Bookshelf Size: 275
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by kandscreeley » 10 May 2019, 09:23

Wow! That's a lot for one book. I'm glad the author does it well. The moment I read the "Hello Goodbye" it reminded me of the Beatle's song. Glad to see I'm not going crazy. I guess I'll have to look at this one further. Thanks for a lovely review.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Miriam Molina
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 54
2018 Reading Goal: 48
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 158
2017 Reading Goal: 36
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 125
Favorite Book: Can I Kill Him Now?
Currently Reading: A Stained White Radiance
Bookshelf Size: 564
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miriam-molina.html
Latest Review: Fire and Water by Jo Eshuys
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Miriam Molina » 10 May 2019, 09:31

I'm an oddball, but it's the Beatles that got me at Hello Goodbye. The main character should've been named Jude and the policeman Sgt. Pepper. Oops, my age is showing! This mystery, I'm sure We Can Work It Out!

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 56
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: The Engine Woman's Light
Bookshelf Size: 239
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: An Unexpected Mess by Marie Washtag

Post by kdstrack » 10 May 2019, 10:20

This is a clever title that will pique the interest of many who remember this song title. The summary makes this look like an intriguing mystery. I think that people will have these songs rolling around in their head while they try to solve the case! Thanks the the great recommendation.

T_stone
2019 Reading Goal: 70
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 15
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 35
Currently Reading: Boy 2 Man
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone » 10 May 2019, 10:41

Sean finding his girlfriend dead with those inscriptions is very heartbreaking. Losing a loved one is sad. I hope he survived the cancer.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White

Prisallen
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen » 10 May 2019, 11:27

Dentarthurdent wrote:
10 May 2019, 09:02
Oof! Sean's life hurts so much, I feel it from here. It's terrible enough to lose a loved one in such a horrific manner, but to also find out you could be dying too...
The book sounds great, and Kayleigh seems so lovable. Great review!
Yes, he had a tough time of it. Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

Prisallen
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen » 10 May 2019, 11:27

Stephanie Elizabeth wrote:
10 May 2019, 09:19
That's terrifying, a serial killer that leaves notes taken from Beatles songs? It sounds like Sean has been hit with some terrible luck, but I am glad the story turns around. Sean and Kayleigh's friendship sounds heart-warming! Wonderful review!
Thank you for your comments!

Prisallen
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen » 10 May 2019, 11:31

kandscreeley wrote:
10 May 2019, 09:23
Wow! That's a lot for one book. I'm glad the author does it well. The moment I read the "Hello Goodbye" it reminded me of the Beatle's song. Glad to see I'm not going crazy. I guess I'll have to look at this one further. Thanks for a lovely review.
I think you would enjoy it. Thanks for the comments!

Prisallen
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen » 10 May 2019, 11:35

Miriam Molina wrote:
10 May 2019, 09:31
I'm an oddball, but it's the Beatles that got me at Hello Goodbye. The main character should've been named Jude and the policeman Sgt. Pepper. Oops, my age is showing! This mystery, I'm sure We Can Work It Out!
LOL. That's funny! Thanks for the comments!

Prisallen
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen » 10 May 2019, 11:37

kdstrack wrote:
10 May 2019, 10:20
This is a clever title that will pique the interest of many who remember this song title. The summary makes this look like an intriguing mystery. I think that people will have these songs rolling around in their head while they try to solve the case! Thanks the the great recommendation.
Thank you for commenting! I hope you enjoy it, if you read it!

Prisallen
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen » 10 May 2019, 11:38

T_stone wrote:
10 May 2019, 10:41
Sean finding his girlfriend dead with those inscriptions is very heartbreaking. Losing a loved one is sad. I hope he survived the cancer.
It is, indeed. Thank you for stopping by and for commenting!

Rachel Lea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-lea.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Rachel Lea » 10 May 2019, 11:38

I love the amount of drama and character development that is woven throughout this story, even though it's technically a crime novel. The story has a very interesting premise. Thanks for your review!
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:

Prisallen
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen » 10 May 2019, 12:04

Rachel Lea wrote:
10 May 2019, 11:38
I love the amount of drama and character development that is woven throughout this story, even though it's technically a crime novel. The story has a very interesting premise. Thanks for your review!
Thank you for stopping by and commenting!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”